Print

Author Topic: Fail Game Arguments  (Read 22979 times)

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »
Have you ever had an argument or debate with someone about something completely false they believed? I know I have many times. So post your stories here.

This is what gave me the idea to start the thread.

In school today, I was in lunch hanging out, and some annoying freshman I don't even know asks me if played Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360. I tell him no, I don't have a 360. Then he asks if I played the first Ninja Gaiden, so I respond by saying "You mean the one on NES?" (just to be a jerk, I obviously knew he meant the Xbox one) and then he responds saying there was no Ninja Gaiden on NES, so we argue about this for like over 5 minutes, he doesn't believe there's a Ninja Gaiden trilogy on the NES, but that the first NG game was on Xbox. Then I finally win, and all he can say is "the NES has two buttons only, the controls are probably bad."

Gamers these days are full of fail.

Share your stories.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
I've had arguments like that before, I just can't remember any of them.

But one I remember was arguing over the artistic merit of "Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker". That's sure to lead to trouble. The guy says "This game has NES graphics". I did respond by saying it actually takes a lot of effort to make the art style look like this, but the idea that this looked like the NES was ridiculous. The NES can't display this many colors, the NES can't display games at this resolution. But he still wouldn't listen.

If he responded this way to Wind Waker, I wonder how he would respond to Viewtiful Joe or Okami. "NES graphics", just absurd.

And yes, there are people that don't know what game Mario first starred in, or where Yoshi wings and Yoshi breathing fire come from. Sad world.
http://spacepope4u.blogspot.com/2007/08/young-mario-players.html
There are three questions near the bottom of that post that are pretty easy, but may cause trouble for people who weren't around games at that time. Actually, I'd have more trouble naming off the names of some of the more obscure Mario Bros./Mario World series enemies.

Then again, I'm lucky to have been born when Super Mario Bros. for NES came out, so that I'd remember that era. For people who don't care much about videogame history, I'd imagine they wouldn't look far past when they first started playing games (or even to get a broad view of what popular games were out at that time), thus missing a lot of important info. For example, I did not know that Mario Bros. was also made for the Atari system. Most Atari games I don't know of (there's Adventure and E.T., but that's pretty much all I remember). I'm clueless on Lode Runner. Never played much of the classic LucasArts/Sierra adventure games.
You didn't say wot wot.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »
Every time I hear someone say "Halo 3 / Madden 200X / Guitar Hero / Rock Band is the best game ever I know that an failtastic argument is coming on.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
I have a nephew that thinks that the N64 is Nintendo's first system. Oh if only Wayne didn't steal my NES and SNES...

Don't get the wrong idea though. My nephew is a good kid (for the most part) and is fun to have around. It just saddens me a bit to hear him say that.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »
What...the...hell? Someone...posted as me? What the ****. Why...would someone do that?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »
Me: *grabs smash ball as Wario*
Roommate: "What're you doing?"
M: "Getting the smash ball."
R: "Oh. What's Wario's final smash?"
M: "Wario-man."
R: "Oh. I heard he can't die."
M: "...What?"
R: "Like if he goes off screen, he just comes back again."
M: "...Yeah, and he loses a point... and goes back to normal."
R: "No, I'm pretty sure I heard he can't die."
M: "Believe me, he can."
R: "You sure?"
M: "If you don't believe the guy with the game, go read the Dojo site."
R: "Really? I'm pretty sure he can't die."
M: "Someone's about to die..."
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
Hmm... I similar thing happened to me, except I was playing Gears of War Online.

As soon as I joined a match, one of the guys told me they just found out this "cool new glitch" which could be executed by hitting start, up, up, and pressing A repeatedly. Of course, doing this paused the game, and moving it up twice would highlight "quit" and pressing A over and over would quit the game.

Upon hearing this, I had told them, "If you wanted me to leave, you could have asked." and left.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »
Every time I hear someone say "Halo 3 / Madden 200X / Guitar Hero / Rock Band is the best game ever I know that an failtastic argument is coming on.

I'm the same way.
Ditto used Machop!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Any time I hear someone say Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, Siphon Filter, or Wolfmother sucks I roll up my sleeves and crack my knuckles.
every

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
What...the...hell? Someone...posted as me? What the ****. Why...would someone do that?
what are you talking about any way?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
In the Link...an anonymous person stated they were me...with plenty of bad grammar. What the hell. That is so annoying and weird.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »
You know, he could have just said that he was obsessed with Nintendo, only in a ultra flashy cool way.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
Any time I hear someone say Maniac Mansion, Full Throttle, Siphon Filter, or Wolfmother sucks I roll up my sleeves and crack my knuckles.

I've never heard of any of those games.

I'm not saying they're bad, though.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
Wolfmother's gameplay was pretty bad, but the music was quite good.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »
Full Throttle also has a double meaning. Eight points to whoever gets it.
every

Print