Print

Author Topic: SSBB: Petey Piranha officially announced  (Read 16439 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: August 24, 2007, 01:19:53 AM »

As many on the forums guessed and/or feared, Petey Piranha, originally appearing in Super Mario Sunshine, is the first boss character announced for Super Smash Bros. Brawl.  In the earlier Subspace Emissary (Adventure Mode) video, Petey had locked up both Peach and Zelda in cages and Kirby was ready to face off against the newly-fearsome monster.  The update says that you can only save one of the women...

Link: Smash Bros. DOJO!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 06:47:47 AM by MEGAߥTE »

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:42:40 AM »
...and the other probably gets carried off to the next boss. Or else it's just how you unlock them and you have to play that mode twice to get them both.

The real question is, will bosses be unlockable as "secret" characters or will it just be a Action Replay hack-character like Giga Bowser?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:21:59 AM »
I have a feeling they won't be playable unless you hack the game. It's tradtion by now, except now we get more than just Smash originals as bosses.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »
Peach or Zelda? Peach or Zelda? Choices....

Peach! *Zelda gets devoured*
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:02:32 AM »
Another boss that's non-playable, like Giga Bowser and Master and Crazy hands in SSBM.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:13:11 AM »
I imagine you will have to play through twice to unlock them, as LD said.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »
Or maybe the un-rescued one might suffer some torturous consequences from Ancient Minister or some other boss (Giga Bowser, anyone?).
I don't know if it's me, but i completely love both Mario and Peach to death. I guess i'm obsessed about both of them, huh?

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 02:01:36 PM »
This is awesome!  I don't know why anyone would "fear" the idea of Petey being in the game. 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »
Mario: Ummmm.... Zelda!

Peach: How could you!?

Mario: Maybe this one will stay rescued!

Link: HA!

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:09:04 PM »
Mario: Ummmm.... Zelda!

Peach: How could you!?

Mario: Maybe this one will stay rescued!

Link: HA!

XD

This is super awesome.

The first thing I said this morning when I checked the update was

"Petey is wearing polka dot undies!"

And sorry Zellie, but I'm savin' Peachy. XD
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 05:14:01 PM »
Oh mannnnnnn... This means, I can't feed Daisy to Petey?
Sorry LD--check Petey's emblem. Odd they wouldn't brand him with the Mushroom even if he IS only a boss. And... what can AR NOT do?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:22:14 PM »
I imagine you will have to play through twice to unlock them, as LD said.

But they're available from the beginning. They weren't branded with the Challenger tag.

Thankfully Petey isn't playable, and I hope if we can play through Adventure Mode with either princess, because it'd be a shame if that mode is limited to only certain characters. Maybe it'll be similar to Sonic Adventure 2 where using different characters gets you different POVs and stages.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 07:51:51 PM »
I'm going to make two guesses right here, guys. My first guess is that whichever character you choose to save will then become playable in an Adventure Mode. Then, you use either that character or another unlocked one to go through the Adventure Mode and save the other princess from Petey.

Or...

Petey devours the princess you don't save, and then you team up with a computer-controlled Peach/Zelda and Kirby/Mario to weaken Petey enough to make him burp her up. Then you'll probably either earn those two as playable characters or have to face them on their home stage at the same time (or separately) to unlock them.

I'd also like to say that I am unaffected by the appearance of Petey Piranha, but am slightly unnerved by the appearance of Pokémon Trainer as a character and rather angry that Diddy Kong, out of all other possible characters in the game, is going to be playable.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 07:57:56 AM »
May I ask who deserves a spot more than Diddy Kong?

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 08:19:06 AM »
I just think Diddy Kong seems a little monotonous. Sure, everybody loves the little guy, but I just think there are other video game characters out there that deserve a spot more. A few examples include Sonic, Paper Mario (yes, he could be a little monotonous of Mario), and Mega Man. Even a Metroid Prime hunter could be in Brawl. I guess I just don't really have an interest in the Donkey Kong series, and think that there are better possible fighters out there than Diddy Kong. He just doesn't feel like a good fighter to me is all.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Print