Print

Author Topic: The 90's  (Read 31483 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:18:09 PM »
Statistics show that a lot of people were alive in the 90's (like, more than a million, at least), which means that a lot of people remember the 90's. I was born in '92, so a lot of 90's pop-culture has been burned into my brain permanantly. It was the decade of true 3D, vastly overpriced fast food, obnoxious marketing campaigns, improved CGI effects in movies, Kevin Smith movies, emerging musical genres, and much more.
In the realm of video games, first-person shooters became a revolutionary genre that few people suspected would become one of the most stale genres ever. Ditto for kart racers and 3D platformers. The PlayStation and Nintendo 64 came out in '95 and '96, respectively, setting a new standard for whatever they set new standards for. CDs were a relatively new concept, just new enough that you were considered an old fogey if you hadn't burned all your game cartridges and cassette tapes in a massive bonfire and replaced them with new, shiny CDs.
The movie industry was alive and well, too, because just about every 90's movie that had computer-generated giant lizards, aliens and/or robots was guaranteed to have a giant, multijillion-dollar marketing campaign that included a deal with Taco bell to sell those cool, $10 cups that every kid ages 5 to 10 wanted but their parents wouldn't let them get because they were just stupid cups and you could get something way better for $10. Also popular were "?vaent?-gaerdé" movies that were five minutes long but were really deep, because they were black and white and explored the deepest outer inner reaches of the human soul.
Music was also popular, and unfortunately, so was alternative rock. The two bands I remember were probably as different as they get, but had one thing in common, which was that you couldn't do anything without hearing them: The Spice Girls, and Rage Against the Machine. The Spice Girls was this annoying all-girl pop group that was notable in that you could never actually listen to their songs, and yet you somehow knew the lyrics to every Spice Girls song there ever was and ever will be. Rage Against the Machine was big because they had a message, which was that the government was evil, man, and because of that, it was totally awesome when, at a concert, they stood there naked while guitar feedback played for half an hour. They also did a song for the Godzilla soundtrack, which was supposed to be really ironic because whatever the song was about was about how movies are government propaganda, man.
Finally, there were Pogs. Pogs were, for about a year, the ultimate thing ever, so ultimate that schools banned them for being so ultimate. And then there was the Pokemon trading card game, which about six people actually knew how to play, but because it was Pokemon, it was the duty of every kid to play it.

So anyway, that's how I remember the 90's to be. For all I know, that could be a completely inaccurate view of it, but I don't care. Anyway, I guess the point of this thread is to share your memories of the 90's. So, yeah.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:23:39 PM »
I was born in 1991, so I was kinda too young to be a part of the early 90's culture, but the late 90's culture kinda bothered me, from what I knew about it then. One of my teachers tells me I might've been born in the wrong era, because I seem to show interest in things from the 80's.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:33:42 PM »
(Just a note, the apostrophe does not go after the number when referring to years. It goes before it. You're implying that the decade had owned something with the title.)

A lot of late '80s stuff was still pretty popular in the very early '90s, such as music and electronics. Being born in the late '80s, I can remember most of the early '90s.

This topic still seems awkward to me, as Yoshi55 was pretty annoying on this sort of thing.

P.S. You guys are SO YOUNG.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:45:38 PM »
I was born in '93 and clearly remember how popular the Spice Girls were and Britney Spears were. I also remember the rave over Pokemon that continued into the new millennium. I got a Playstation 1 in 1998 or 1999.

P.S.
BEING YOUNG RAWKS!!1
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Jman

• Score
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 12:50:26 PM »
I was born in '87, so I remember a lot of stuff from the 90s.  I always watch those "I Love The 90s" specials on VH1 to remind myself of a better time.  My older friend inroduced me to Queen in the mid 90s.  I remember when it was actually worth getting up early on saturday morning to watch cartoons, and I still do it, but only because I have Boomerang.  I also recall watching Dennis The Menace in syndication for many years.  Now it's back on Boomerang, too.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
How can you talk about the 90's and forget to mention the controversy caused by Beavis & Butt-Head, not to mention Bart Simpson shirts being banned from school?

I remember when CD-Rom was considered cutting-edge technology. Nowadays, you get most everything by downloading it.

90's was also the last decade of after school programming for kids. I remember getting home from school everyday to watch Beetleborgs, Power Rangers, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons Adventures, Batman/Superman: The Animated Series, Pokemon, and a couple of others I can't remember right now.

I really don't understand why people say the second half of the 90's is bad. Maybe it's just because I grew up in it and I'm biased. Or maybe its because that's when the Monday Night Wars heated up and brought the best of WCW and WWF. Either way, I love the 90's, and I do miss the simple days of it, but it's never blinded me from the good stuff of the new millenium.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
I remember playing Pokémon Red all the way back in 1997. Oh, to relive those days...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »
Oh geez, Wiggles just reminded me of my cousins' enormous Power Ranger obsession, which I'll admit I also got caught up in.  Also, Cartoon Network was the greatest back then. Anyone remember World Premiere Toons/The What A Cartoon! Show? You know, the very thing that spawned Dexter, Johny Bravo and Cow & Chicken? Those were the days....

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 05:05:13 PM »
I remember playing Pokémon Red all the way back in 1997. Oh, to relive those days...

You imported it from Japan?

Yeah I remember the '90s a lot, like for example there would be times where not every SNES game that had ever been made had been released, and movies came out, and N64 was amazing, and Virtual Boy not so much, and there was also music, and in the last couple of years I became a bit conscious of the music around me and it sucked.  Boy bands.  Celine Dion.

In conclusion, oh yeah, the '90s also had such stuff like yeah.

In conclusion the '90s were the decade last decade.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
Sorry, 1998. Anyway, yeah, the 90's rocked. Except for a few births...

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »
Sorry, 1998. Anyway, yeah, the 90's rocked. Except for a few births...

I was born in '92, so a lot of 90's pop-culture has been burned into my brain permanantly.

I was born in 1991, so I was kinda too young to be a part of the early 90's culture, but the late 90's culture kinda bothered me, from what I knew about it then.

I was born in '93 and clearly remember how popular the Spice Girls were and Britney Spears were.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »
Wow, I think this is a record for a new topic for me: ten posts in one day. Personally, one thing I remember from the '90s (thanks, Vidgmchtr) was the Godzilla remake. Roland Emmerach managed to create the one of the worst and one of the best movies of the '90s, simultaneously. If you tell yourself it's not called "Godzilla" and think of some other name, then the horribleness of the remake goes away and it's actually a pretty good movie. Well, you also have to ignore the cheesy dialogue, obnoxious advertising campaign, ripping off of Aliens later in the film and the fact that the "Baby Godzillas OMFG!!!11" plot point goes nowhere.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
I beat you with dried fruit, Glorb.

One thing I remember from the 90's is Wario's Woods, and I mean the SNES version. Everybody (save one of the people who I was referring to with that birth comment) in my immediate family loves this game. I personally loved pwning computers on Hard mode, while my parents preferred playing the quest-type mode. Now that I have a decent gamepad and the ROM, I can play on my computer with identical controls; no more keyboard for me!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 12:27:04 AM »
You know what? I am incredibly glad that the '90s aren't here anymore. However:
Dexter's Lab and the two Star Trek shows that started in the '90s were good.
X-Wing was good.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 12:38:03 AM »
I don't see much of a difference between the '90s and now.

Print