Print

Author Topic: The Harry Potter Thread *spoilers possible*  (Read 17554 times)

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »
Honestly, I saw it as just another one of Rowling's promotions for tolerance (which have had an influential standing in the Harry Potter books since day one). 
Think about it; she builds Dumbledore up in the minds of her readers as a respected, wise, and powerful man, and then matter-of-factly reveals him to be homosexual.  She's trying to prove that, regardless of a person's orientation, anyone can do great things.   
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2007, 08:51:37 PM »
Supposedly his gay partner was Grindewald.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
Honestly, I saw it as just another one of Rowling's promotions for tolerance (which have had an influential standing in the Harry Potter books since day one). 
Think about it; she builds Dumbledore up in the minds of her readers as a respected, wise, and powerful man, and then matter-of-factly reveals him to be homosexual.  She's trying to prove that, regardless of a person's orientation, anyone can do great things.   

Well, it is true, and it is a very good moral to teach children and young adults. Not just orientation, either. Race, sex, etc. etc.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2007, 10:26:22 AM »
Yes, I think she is trying to get across that no matter who you are, you can change the world.

All this "She did it for publicity" stuff is rubbish. She just revealed another detail of the complex character that is Albus Dumbledore.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2007, 05:57:07 PM »
You know, I was skimming  through the final couple of chapters of the seventh book when this thought occured to me..

How incredibly dense is Snape? He questions why Dumbledore wants to give the Sword of Gryffindor to Harry when he knows full well that Voldemort created Horcruxes.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2007, 04:31:10 AM »
You know, I was skimming  through the final couple of chapters of the seventh book when this thought occured to me..

How incredibly dense is Snape? He questions why Dumbledore wants to give the Sword of Gryffindor to Harry when he knows full well that Voldemort created Horcruxes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dumbledore never mentioned Horcruxes to Snape, or at least not in the flashback from DH; he mentioned that a part of Voldemort's soul went into Harry (which, iirc, could have happened even without the creation of the other six Horcruxes) and that Voldemort would fear for Nagini's life (though Dumbledore never specified why). Snape could have deduced that Voldemort was creating Horcruxes, though it's unlikely; I don't think even Snape would have dabbled in the Dark Arts like that. Anyway, I guess Snape didn't find it necessary for the sword to be given to Harry; his orders were simply to inform Harry of the part of Voldemort inside him when Voldemort begins to fear for Nagini.

^^^ Hallows spoilers, btw...
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2007, 09:25:13 AM »
But isn't/wasn't Snape one of the Death Eaters that Voldemort shared that fact with (that he had created Horcruxes)?

I guess I should go back and re-read the series again..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
But isn't/wasn't Snape one of the Death Eaters that Voldemort shared that fact with (that he had created Horcruxes)?

Voldemort could have only told them that it was a treasured object of his, much as Harry hypothesized he told Bellatrix. I believe the only Death Eater who knew of the Horcruxes was Regulus Black, though he could have figured it out on his own.

^^^ even more Deathly Hallows spoilers. :o

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
Sorry to bring this thread up again after so long, but I was reading the seventh book again, and came across something that still confuses me..

**please note: I'm not going to bother with the spoiler tags. It has been long enough (just over a year) since the last book came out, I think, so if there's still something you don't know about the series, steer clear of this topic.**

Anyway, I forgot which chapter it's in, but on page 617 of the American verison of the book, Harry is trying to talk to the Gray Lady (the Ghost of Ravenclaw), and ask her where/what the Horcrux is. There's a line that goes something like "He (Harry) suddenly understood why she hadn't told Dumbledore or Flitwick this story"

Why was it that she hadn't told Dumbledore or Flitwick is what I sort of don't understand.

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:52 AM »
I can only assume it was because of Harry and Voldemort's mutual knack of being able to wheedle information out of unwilling informants, which often answered questions and got them into or out of trouble; Dumbledore and Flitwick, both of whom were really model students and wouldn't have toed the line as either Harry or Voldemort did, probably wouldn't have possessed the same knack due to not needing it. At least, that's what I think. :P

Print