Poll

You can own only one:

Xbox 360
23 (76.7%)
PlayStation 3
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Print

Author Topic: 360 versus PS3  (Read 79759 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
Nintendo console hardware is certainly more durable than that of its competitors. If nothing else, the Wii never had a system-destroying issue caused by high heat making some part of the system melt and/or break apart.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »
I have never once heard of people leaving consoles on for days. No wonder people's stuff is broken if they do that.
Yes, I do leave computers on.

I used to not do that, but now I do. Seriously, who gives a [dukar]. If my almost 14 year old N64 can be left on for days at a time, then a cutting-edge Wii and 360 should be fine. I understand there's more going on technology-wise so there could be a higher chance of failure if left on for days, but, none of my stuff is/has broken ever from leaving it on for a long time. My Wii is whisper quiet and produces virtually no heat, and my 360 is fine. The only side effect to leaving crap on for days is the 360 makes my room get hot.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:20 PM »
I'd still consider an N64 more reliable and less breakdown-prone with respect to leaving it on. I guess I'm just surprised your 360 doesn't melt and then explode.
I barely play games at all though so leaving consoles on all day wouldn't ever occur to me.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
I'd still consider an N64 more reliable and less breakdown-prone with respect to leaving it on. I guess I'm just surprised your 360 doesn't melt and then explode.
I barely play games at all though so leaving consoles on all day wouldn't ever occur to me.

Honestly, I'm very surprised it hasn't experienced a catastrophic meltdown and subsequently wound itself up like a jet engine until exploding into a flurry of molten plastic pieces. It has very rarely made some funky sounds, but not from just being on constantly. I think it's a combination of being on for a while + loading a new game that causes it. Also, I gotta rephrase what I mean by 'leaving consoles on for long periods of time'. It really depends on if I'm saving something or whatever. I leave my Wii on always, my 360 not often because I've been playing Wii more often and it gets too hot during the summer, aaand my N64 happens to be on because I'm trying to get a medal on Starfox 64, and don't wanna go through the whole game again to get back to Sector Z.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2010, 12:06:23 PM »
(11 day bump... sounds reasonable enough to follow up my own post in that time)

Lol @ Kinect being $150
Lol @ Move... well for being Move with its glowing orb that looks like a reservoir-less condom being blown up (and $100 starter kit).
And huge lol @ Microsoft's "cost of ownership" chart which is grossly inaccurate and artificially inflates the total cost of Wii ownership.

I can sort of understand what they were doing here. However, this assumes a few things: This is assuming you buy the 200 dollar Wii bundle with Motion+ and two games (the black wii), and this is assuming that in order to "match" Kinect/have motion control available on the wii, you are "required" to purchase the balance board. Aaand... that is bull[dukar]. If they still offer the simple white Wii bundle (I'm sure they do), then it's still $150 bucks either way you put it. Even the $200 bundle is fair since you get two games and Motion+.

Again, this chart assumes that in order to experience motion control on the Wii, you have to have the balance board.. which you don't. And think about all the retarded add-ons that Microsoft will crap out over the future lifespan of Kinect.

It should've been based on what the bare minimum to have motion control at all is.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:17:16 PM by Trainman »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2010, 02:29:35 PM »
Of course, Microsoft is doing the two-player price comparison because two players is all Kinect can handle. To say nothing of the hundred-dollar hard drive they don't show in that chart (since the 360 model in the example only has four gigabytes of storage).

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
The 360 outsold the Wii and even the DS this month. WIYGN

(US sales)

« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
I chose the 360 because I already had a level of experience with the system, a number of my friends had it, and the exclusives were more enticing.  Also, I already had games for it from a friend who didn't want them, so, there's some saved money.  I may get a PS3 sometime in the future, but no time soon. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Listen to this man.  He picked his system for all the right reasons.  I had similar reason, 'cept I picked the PS3...  and may get a 360 sometime too.

CoconutMikeNIke, Welcome back!  I know it's been awhile, but how'd the robotics competition turn out?  I ask because I'm a second year robotics teacher and we haven't competed yet. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2010, 03:34:17 AM »
Yesterday Cave announced 360 ports of DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu (badass military shmup but with giant loli robot bosses), Muchi Muchi Pork! (I've spoken of this before), and Pink Sweets (sequel to BOMBAA BOMBAA BOMBAA shmup Ibara; PS will be together with MMP on one disc), as well as a port of Dangun Feveron/Fever SOS (disco shmup) for an unknown platform (but almost certainly XBLA). They also announced that Guwange Blue Label would hit XBLA sometime in September or October.

So this should be more than reason enough for me to get a 360...the catch is, all of those retail releases will almost certainly end up being Japan-only and region-locked, even given the relative success of DeathSmiles over here, and the import-friendliness of Mushihime-sama Futari and ESPGaluda II (they already said they aren't doing any more region-free games). And I don't have $300 to import a 360 that won't be able to play the few English releases I'm interested in, plus $80 or more a game.

« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2010, 04:21:26 AM »
Woah, point to Luigison for the stellar memory.  The robotics competition didn't end up happening for my team, since there was no time to get a set for the seniors AND for the 9th-11th grade, and they had the younger students compete instead.  SO, it was pretty much just a vacation to Orlando, which was fine by me.

OT: I forgot this earlier, and it's not a reason that made me initially choose the 360, but I really like the XBLA.  The whole Summer of Arcade is just a nice idea, I think.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »
Yo CoconutMikeNIke, do you play online? Me and Lizard Dude are always looking for more people to play Gears 2, L4D2, and other random games with.

« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Yea, CMikeNIke is my gamertag.  I currently only have the first of both Gears and L4D, though, just because those were the games I got from my friend.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
Porsche993TT is my gamertag. Pronounce it correctly! If you're having trouble with it, refer to the video I created in order to help you out.

I have: Forza Motorsport 3, GTAIV (and all DLC episodes), Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Trials HD, and some other stuff.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:54:26 PM by Trainman »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
I'd be up for some Gears 2 sometime. I'm pretty terrible at it, but it's fun to play now and again.

Print