Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart DS Question  (Read 3856 times)

« on: May 01, 2006, 01:33:25 PM »
How do you get that "shockwave" sort of thing that makes your cart speed up while racing? (I'm not sure what it is actually called.) It seems to be random to me.
"Noooo! My life's treasure! I would rather die than give up my life size Peach poster!"
-Some Koopa in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 02:43:54 PM »
If your referring to power sliding, all you have to do is hold R during a turn and alternate pressing left and right until the dust your kicking up turns red, then release the R button.

However, I think you a referring to the seemingly random "mini-boost" that seems to come out of nowhere.  As far as I can tell if you drive straight for a certain amount of time you eventually activate the boost, but I'm not sure.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:58:23 PM »
I'm quite sure that's called drafting (or at least it was in MK64). Yes, you drive close behind an opponent for a few seconds and you'll get a temporary boost of speed.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:14:17 PM »
In the manual, it's called drifting and power-sliding. The boost you get after the sparks under your wheels turn blue can happen anywhere, not just behind an opponent. If you're turning, press and hold R as you will see your character bounce into a drift. After that, immediately press right on the control pad then then back to holding left. You will began to notice red-orange sparks coming out of your tires. Repeat that once again and they will turn blue. When you release R, you will get a mini-boost.

If you're talking about that strange wind-like thing that comes about some times when you're behind the racers, I don't know. As far as I know, it comes about randomly when you're in at the most, fourth place. Some times it lasts for a while... I'm sure Aarom11 will know. He's the expert. XD

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »
The strange, wind-like boost is called draft. Drive somewhat directly behind an opponent for a few seconds, and you'll get a sheild-looking wind thing around your character, allowing you to speed up enough so you can pass your opponent and get a reasonable distance away from him. The downside to constant drafting, however, is if an opponent has an item such as a banana, they can release it behind them, thereby royally screwing you over.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 10:19:17 PM »
That's easily solved: before drafting, check if the opponent has an item on the bottom screen, and don't follow him into item boxes.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 10:24:52 PM »
Also, be a good leader and periodically check the map for butt-sniffing drafters.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:52:22 AM »
ProTip: Buff-sniffers are bad.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
But Lizard Dude isn't bad. And you miss-spelled the word you were trying to use, LD.

That's pretty kool, though. I never new about 'drafting'. Thanks, bobby. :)

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 08:18:26 PM »
Heh. Bobby. That's a new one.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:55:46 PM »
The strange, wind-like boost is called draft. Drive somewhat directly behind an opponent for a few seconds, and you'll get a sheild-looking wind thing around your character, allowing you to speed up enough so you can pass your opponent and get a reasonable distance away from him. The downside to constant drafting, however, is if an opponent has an item such as a banana, they can release it behind them, thereby royally screwing you over.
Draft... I wonder why the manual didn't mention it. Well, at least I know how to use it now.
"Noooo! My life's treasure! I would rather die than give up my life size Peach poster!"
-Some Koopa in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Print