No. They are just right.
4 (28.6%)
No way, they are way too tough!
1 (7.1%)
Other opinion. (Please explain.)
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Print

Author Topic: Are the bosses in Mario too weak?  (Read 4283 times)

« on: April 05, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
After playing games like Wario Land Shake It and Banjo Kazooie, I realized how weak the bosses are in Mario.  They tend to have only like 2 attack patterns and take only 3 hits on the head, and Bowser isn't that much tougher.  In Super Mario Galaxy, his attacks are very predicable and easy to counter, and its easy enough to beat him without getting hit, let alone without dying.  With characters like the Grunty from Banjo Kazooie, she had many different attack patterns and offered a great challenge, even when you are a full health.  

Here is Bowser From Super Mario Galaxy:
Breathes fire
Stomps
Becomes a rock
Spins in his shell
Attacks in a predicable manner
Dies in 6 hits

Here is King K Rool from Donkey Kong 64:
Charges at you
Uses his glove as a boomerang
Creates huge shockwaves
punches hard
Makes himself invisible
Limited time
Quite unpredictable
Dies in like 30 hits or so

Victory... is my destiny!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
It depends which Mario game you're playing, but as a general rule, yeah.  The bosses are pretty static and predictable.  However, I've always found Mario games to be more about the road to the boss than the boss itself.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:33:16 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
They're not too weak. I'm just too tough for them.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:35:34 PM »
Here's something that I've thought of before: Nintendo still has a very NES way of thinking. Bosses then only had two or three attacks and were realitvley easy to kill. The road to the bosses (boss levels) were often alot of fun, more fun than the actual bosses.

How many times have you reached a boss and thought "I hope this is an easy battle?" or "Hurry the heck up!" because you're ready for the game to be over so you can either move on to another game or go back and look for the hidden things/alternate paths/etc that you may have missed earlier.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:43:49 PM »
Yeah, they're pretty weak/easy...that is, unless you're playing one of the RPG games.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »
I guess... at least in the platformers. Actually, they're all usually moderately difficult despite their repetitiveness (which I really don't notice because most Nintendo games are that way and that's what I've played most of my life). As for SMG, yes, most of the bosses were easy, but so was the whole game (I did like the amount of bosses, though).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:48:09 PM »
For the most part, they are a little weak, but that's okay.  I'd rather be exploring the levels than wrack my brain or scream in frustration over a super tough boss.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Sqrt2

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
Yeah, they're pretty weak/easy...that is, unless you're playing one of the RPG games.

I'll agree with you on the Mario & Luigi games, but not the Paper Mario games - in those they are all easy to beat, with only 1 or 2 exceptions (Bonetail, Magnus von Grapple 2.0)
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:07 PM »
Danger Mario could own Bonetail in one turn, flat; and Magnus von Grapple 2.0 was no problem for me even in non-danger form. M&L: SS had the Mush Badge for similar ownage. Personally, I think all of the Paper Marios and M&Ls so far have had easy bosses.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print