Print

Author Topic: Mario Fallout Shelter  (Read 41447 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2003, 01:33:14 PM »
I can make a flame move too! *blows on it*
Hey, I can *ALSO* make that pencil on the table over there move to the desk! *Walks over, picks it up, and places it on desk*

Wooooooooo!! Ultimate special powers!!!

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2003, 04:07:50 PM »
And I can bend a spoon with my mind!!!

*Hits himself in the head with a spoon several times*

See! It's bent! I'm so awesome!

And I'll explain that modulo 5 thing if any of you want/care.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2003, 06:31:13 PM »
Sure, Steve, go ahead and explain what you meant. I must admit that I had no idea what you were talking about when you said, "The square of ANY integer modulo 5 can NEVER be 2 or 3." It probably has something to do with that fact that the word "modulo" doesn't mean anything to me. I know it must be a word, though, because my browser's not flagging it.

I posted in BORED!! With a pinch of salt.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2003, 06:50:11 PM »
Ok, to start, an integer modulo x is the remainder when the integer is divided by x.

So, for example, 17 modulo 5 is 17/5's remainder, or 2.

I will now explain how to prove the statement.

An integer ending in 0 or 5 modulo 5 is 0
Ending in 1 or 6 modulo 5 is 1
Ending in 2 or 7 modulo 5 is 2
Ending in 3 or 8 modulo 5 is 3
Ending in 4 or 9 modulo 5 is 4

Now, I now must prove that no integer, when squared, ends in 2, 3, 7, or 8.

An integer ending in 0 sqaured ends in 0x0, or 0. Thus, it is 0 modulo 5.
Ending in 1: 1x1 = 1, so 1 modulo 5.
Ending in 2: 2x2 = 4, so 4 modulo 5.
Ending in 3: 3x3 = 9, so 4 modulo 5.
Ending in 4: 4x4 = 16, so it ends in 6 and is 1 modulo 5.
Ending in 5: 5x5 = 25, so it ends in 5 and is 0 modulo 5.
Ending in 6: 6x6 = 36, so it ends in 6 and is 1 modulo 5.
Ending in 7: 7x7 = 49, so it ends in 9 and is 4 modulo 5.
Ending in 8: 8x8 = 64, so it ends in 4 and is 4 modulo 5.
Ending in 9: 9x9 = 81, so it ends in 1 and is 1 modulo 5.

And the square of ANY integer's last digit is the last digit of the square of the integer.

Notice that none of the digits squared ends in 2, 3, 7, or 8. Thus:

The square of any integer modulo 5 CANNOT be 2 or 3.

I found that when I was bored one day.

~I.S.~

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2003, 07:02:22 PM »
AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! MATH!!! Get it away! Get it AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2003, 07:39:05 PM »
"I found that when I was bored one day."

It was when I read this line that what you were saying became impressive. I have myself discovered interesting mathematical relationships before, but they are different from yours on at least two counts: (1) I didn't bother to write them down (so I don't remember them) and, more importantly, (2) they were not nearly as complicated as this.

That's a good explanation (or proof). The line, "And the square of ANY integer's last digit is the last digit of the square of the integer," gave me a little trouble at first. But once I understood it, I saw that it was key to what you were saying. Try as I did, I could not find a counterexample to it. Did you discover that part of this thing on your own, too?

The problem with interesting mathematical relationships like this one is that "interesting" is all they are; they don't serve any purpose, so most people won't take note of them. But, on the other hand, someone probably said the same thing of the fact that when you pick up two rocks and then pick up three rocks, you have five rocks. That is, someone probably talked of addition as being irrelevant, but we know now that it certainly is not. And this is possibly true of many IMPORTANT mathematical relationships known today. Who knows? Steve's proof could lead to the invention of light sabers or dehydrated water someday . . .

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2003, 07:43:35 PM »
I am the Wicked Toad.  No. Wait.  That's somebody else.  Who am I?

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2003, 07:49:19 PM »
And CashCrazed demonstrates that he is not just a holder of the Elite and various other Special Powers but is a true hacker. Congratulations, man. You have just posted as though you were me and confused the daylights out of everyone who'll read this. I may as well post my password now and get this over with . . .

(Lighten up. I'm joking. And, please, if you have learned my password through your tricks, please keep it to yourself. Thanks.)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2003, 07:51:45 PM »
I'm not Errol either.

I'm postal and BORED!! With a pinch of satire.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2003, 07:57:43 PM »
Cash Crazed didn't do that.

Welcome to Luigison's Palace.

------------------------------

"I believe that with this game you''''ll be able to feel the "newness" that was missing from Mario Sunshine."

- Shigeru Miyamoto on Super Mario 128

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2003, 07:57:44 PM »
Luigison! If you are a moderator, why can you not perform—wait!! Dang, I forget so quickly! If you can be me, CashCrazed, then certainly you can be Luigison as well! This is an ill Special Power if ever there was one!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - Watoad on 4/26/2003 7:09:51 PM

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2003, 08:00:25 PM »
Warlock Punch!yes!While you were all talking I Koed you all!!!!I win!!!!Im gonna play Luigis Mansion now.Yay fighting king boo is fun!Oh no his heads on the wrong way...

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2003, 08:00:49 PM »
Warlock Punch!yes!While you were all talking I KOed you all!!!!I win!!!!Im gonna play Luigis Mansion now.Yay fighting king boo is fun!Oh no his heads on the wrong way...

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2003, 08:07:06 PM »
Well.... I'll prove that the last digit of the product of ANY two positive integers is the same as the last digit of the product of the last digits of the integers.

You know how when you multiply two large numbers, you must set up the equation like this:

x2048

Anyways, to start, one must multiply the 8 in the bottom number by the top number. Doing this, we get:

x2048
______

Now, when you multiply with the second digit, you are actually multiplying the top number by the second digit of the bottom number ... TIMES 10. Thus, your product ends in 0. The next digit will be times 100, and will also end in 0. All other digits of the bottom number will end in 0 when the product is taken.

And it is NOT hard to prove that a digit plus any number of zeros is that digit:

d+0x=d

Where d is the digit, and x is the number of zeros.

Thus, the last digit of the final product can be determined by multiplying the last digits of the two numbers.

It is kind of hard to understand, but... that's as good as I can explain it.

~I.S.~

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2003, 08:08:38 PM »
Who's the idiot? Who's the idiot?! ME!!!!! As I guessed from the moment I registered at this place, the user name you pick is not important. Your password, however, is. It's assigned to you, and you cannot change it—so there can be multiple users with the same user name. To see which posts are mine and which are Luigison's, simply check the user profiles.

I bet you had fun getting me all worked up like that, didn't you, Luigison?

Print