Print

Author Topic: What are your hobbies?  (Read 12139 times)

« on: November 11, 2008, 06:41:16 PM »
Just wondering what everyone else does for fun besides playing video games.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »
Besides video games I like:
- Surfing the net via Digg, StumbleUpon, and my RSS feeds on iGoogle,
- Reading science fiction.  Gateway, The Time Ships, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy are three of my favorite novels.  I also enjoy short short fiction. 
- Reading science.  Quantum and particle/string physics.  Genetics and live extension.  Artificial intelligence and the singularity.  Cosmology and the live/death of the universe.
- Writing.  Haven't done much lately though.
- Coding.  Haven't done much of that lately either.
- Teaching science.  Teaching my daughter to read.
- Mental and logic puzzles.
- Board and card games, but not ones based mostly on chance. 
- Pixel art.
- Education toys.  Lego.  Puzzles, not jigsaw.
- Making Miis. 
- Watching TV.   Myth Busters.  Dirty Jobs.  Dr. Who.  Science documentaries. 
- Movies.  Gattaca.  Fight Club.  Serenity.  The original HhGttG series.

I'll be getting back to exercising after I get over this awful sinus/respiratory infection.  I also plan to try some gardening next spring. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:03:07 PM »
Quite the list you have there, Luigison. As for me, there's not all that much that I do. Aside from playing games, I visit this forum and its corresponding chatroom, listen to music, compose music, make games (technically only one game) and run, which I actually haven't done since the end of cross-country. I'll have to go out sometime. I don't watch very much TV at all.

...Wow, I need a life.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »
Hmm. I don't think I have any activities I consider "hobbies". Of course, pretty much the only things I do right now are play games and do various music-related things (like getting my degree) and I guess I watch anime and read books and comics when I have time.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
Not a whole lot... unless you call driver ed a hobby...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »
  • Surfing the Internet
  • Messing around with computers
  • Nintendo video games, especially platformers, racing games, and Smash Bros
  • Relatively old computer games (at the moment, I'm obsessed with MS Hearts and Quake III Arena)
  • Writing stories and poetry
  • Hanging out with friends
  • Certain TV shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, Two and a Half Men, etc.)
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
Personally, my biggest hobby besides video games is Legos. I'm nearly 16, and I'm still a huge fan of the toy. Currently, I have over 200 kits in my collection, as well as numerous other related items (shirts, books, games, etc.). I'm also a member of three forums that deal with legos, on all of which I'm an active poster.

I also love fiddling around with all sorts of computer related programs and arts - graphic design, video game making (Gamemaker), programing, spriting, animation, rom hacking, etc. I'm not really good at any of them, and most I have basically no experience in, but I hope to put this interest to good use once I get out of high school and into college.

One more thing I really enjoy is writing - both creative and non-fiction. I'm currently working on a book length story that I'm doing bit by bit just for fun. I've also written a few letters to my local newspaper.

Besides those things, I also enjoy reading (of all types), watching a few cartoons on saturday and sunday morning, going to a local homeschooling group, hanging out with my friends, and spending time with my family. Oh, and surfing the internet, of course. :P

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
Drawing
Internet
Plushies
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
I like to draw. I haven't done anything terribly note-worthy, but when I do, I'll scan it and share with the world.

Video games. Often what I'm doing in my spare time. If there's not a game controller (or handheld gaming system) in my hand, then I'm either drawing, at work, or surfing the internet. I was going to school to become a game designer, but I've since discovered that I need someone who can mentor me in the usage of Photoshop and Illustrator. Doing the online school thing just wasn't working for me, and I can't take classes about it here because there are none. All the classes in this backwards town are about things that'll draw you in and keep you here.. I want to get away.

I do listen to some music, though I can say that most of the current songs just do not appeal to me. Mostly weird songs from the 80's, and Weird AL. I really don't like that new song by Kid Rock that has Sweet Home Alabama as the background. *sound of disgust*

After those, everything else is pretty much equal: movies, books, games other than Mario..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
For some reason I forgot to mention that I also do a bit of drawing by hand. When I was young, I used to draw pictures of all my favorite airplanes from three-views in some of my books (it was a really big interest back then). Nowadays I draw mainly on the computer, but I have been doing a lot of pencil drawings lately to go with the aformentioned story I am working on.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
-Surfing the net.

-Reading.

-Drawing. I made my own big cast of characters and I really enjoy doing this (especially really detailed stuff). Some of my friends say I should try to make a pitch to Cartoon Network, but I have no idea how I would go about doing that. I wish I had a scanner so I could try posting a drawing...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
Music: My tastes are pretty wide-reaching, in my opinion:
 - Rock (Classic and alternative, from the early 70s up to indie modern stuff; Wolfmother)
 - Electronic (Mostly 90s-era breakbeat stuff like Fatboy Slim, The Crystal Method, and The Chemical Brothers, as well as some house-style stuff like Daft Punk and MSTRKRFT)
 - Hip-Hop and Rap (Almost exclusively pre-2001: Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, Run DMC, etc., although some modern crossover groups like N.E.R.D. and Lifeseeker are on my playlist, too)

Videogames: I used to be a heavy gamer, although now that I've got other things to spend my money on, I've cut down. It's mostly shooters, open-world type dealies, and DS platformers and the occasional RPG.

The Internet

Movies: Almost exclusively action, horror and comedy. Every now and then, all three.

Books: Mostly short stories and the like, and mostly Stephen King at that. Occasionally a series will catch my eye, like A Series of Unfortunate Events and Artemis Fowl.

Drawing: I'm going to try doing a comic book wunna these days.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:59:05 PM by Glorb »
every

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »
There's somethin' besides videogames? :0

I jest, here's my list.

-Drawing: Mostly fanart, and at that, mostly MOTHER based. However, I do quite a bit of original stuff.
-Acting/Singing: I'm currently workin' in Joseph and the Amazing Techincolor Dream Coat, which is an epic win show.
-Makin' Movies: I haven't done anything new lately, though I plan to when I have time. I wish more people would watch my stuff, though.
- Daydreamin': I consider it a hobby, and it save my mind from self-destruction in times of stress.
-Surfin' the Web: Did I really have to say this?
No! I don't want that!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
Now I know this had to be a thread before. But oh well...

-Reading (sci-fi and Twilight Zone-esque stories; "unorthodox" books)
-Websurfing
-Writing (publishers? Anybody? *Crickets*)
-TV, but only occasionally
-Organizing and cleaning
-Having people over for parties/hanging with friends in general
-Sitting around and pondering
-iPod-listening/song downloading
-Sprite colorizations
-Renting and watching movies (theaters if it's good)
-Buying offline

I don't really draw or play videogames as much as I used to (and I used to think those would be my future...).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:17:54 PM »
Ohh, this topic makes me want to have fun again.

- Video games. Although nowadays, it's been restricted to daily arcade visits and replaying Advance Wars, Pokemon Diamond, and Space Invaders Extreme. I wish my finances weren't completely drained monthly.
- TV. I watch a select number of shows and for the rest of the time leave it on CNN or History channel.
- Drawing. I've been practicing anatomy and shading more since nowadays most people don't realize how horribly inaccurate theirs is. Which directly leads into
- Criticism. Something I really love to do in the most brutally honest way possible.
- Awaiting responses from people who confuse criticism with bashing. Because improving yourself means never being told how wrong you are.
- Trolling. Without many friends up here, the internet has become my best friend. Nothing better than getting someone's panties in a bunch.
- Experimenting with food. Which leaves me with some strange dishes and an empty fridge within a week.

I don't really make or hangout with friends as much as I used to. Scratch that, I never really did it in the first place.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
make or hangout
Please tell me I'm not the only one who read this in an odd way.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 11:28:36 PM »
-Model Railroading
-BMX. Not racing.... "freestyle"
-Detailing cars... and I mean... the works: wash twice, dry, clay, paint cleaner, polish, wax.... and that only covers exterior body panels that are painted!!!
-Chillin' with my friends
-Working on my vehicles and/or my friends' vehicles.
-Learning tons of songs on my crapster Yamaha PSS-480 keyboard.
-Reading about how everything works, why things are named the way they are, and why things are the way they are.
-Learning and dialing in control of my car, heel-toe shifting, powersliding, rev-matching, etc.
-Dippin'.

-Watching old shows I grew up with: Rocko's Modern Life, Dexter's Lab, Ed, Edd, & Eddy, Figure it Out, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Pete & Pete, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare (and DD 2000), etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 06:25:27 AM »
-Dippin'.
If you are referring to dipping tobacco, that's not a hobbie.  It's an addiction.  A rather nasty one.  At least other's don't have to swallow your second-hand dip.  I hope not.  Hope you don't leave dirty spit cups around.  My wife found out the hard way what that tastes like.  Gross.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
I like going through the garbage.  The ultimate in recycling!

I've also been trying to get into guerrilla gardening, but it's hard without money or a means of transportation.  I should just have my own garden, but being at college makes that impossible.  I'm resigned to having a plant on the windowsill, a succulent Jade plant.  It's thriving, at least.

I'm also in an a cappella group.  I'm a Tenor 1, and we're really good, so there!

I also found a giant empty jar in the garbage one day, so now I'm filling it with paper cranes.  I'd like to make a thousand, though I probably won't for lack of paper or time.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 05:13:30 PM »
Luigison, I hope you realize that discussion's going on it at least three other threads simultaneously now; don't bring it here, please.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 11:29:54 PM »
Reading cool books
Listening to cool music
Spending time with my girlfriend
Getting posts with weird numbers like this one (note: this is post 66666 in General Chat)

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 02:59:04 PM »
Reading
Playing games
Workin on a webcomic of a friends.

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »
Besides gaming I:

-DRAW
-enjoy music
-go out with friends
-cycle(yes, that's a hobby, since I do it everyday..to my work.lol)
-travel
-enjoy breeding guppies (yesh, I consider that's my hobby tooXD)
-cook
-watch movies

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 03:28:36 AM »
Cinema, swimming and playing video games. These at least comes to mind currently.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2023, 06:50:45 AM »
Railways, sailing, and meteorology.
Yoshi!

Print