Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers  (Read 44535 times)

« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
I almost never buy games I already own. The exception is when there's some game collection or remake that adds value to it. I treated Super Mario All-Stars as a replacement for the three SMB games I already had. Then I got SMBDX because... um... well, there was a cool factor to it. Get stamps of enemies for doing well, see The Lost Levels with its original graphics, has a cool box cover. Seriously I thought it was awesome, although I can't recall it having much added value other than the portability. And I was considering Okami for Wii just because of the hassle it'd be to hook up my PS2 (I don't have PS2 component cables, so I fear Okami might look lame on a hi-def TV), until I heard about the wonky gameplay and removing the epilogue.

If we're upping the number of playable characters in the next Mario & Luigi title to four, I demand that Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi and their respective infantile incarnations, Toad, Toadette, Yoshi(s), Link, Young Link, Baby Link, Fetus Link, Captain Syrup, Master Chief, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr and Poochy from Yoshi's Island all be simultaneously available. Of course, each combination of two would have their own unique team moves, just as in past M&L games.
Why did I read part of that as "Baby Poochy"? I remember Poochy frightened me at first when I saw him. I don't need a freaky-looking baby version of him too.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
SMBDX was pretty cool.  They didn't ruin it with upgrades or terrible voiceovers, it had a challenge mood which was really awesome, a vs. mode, and lost levels, race boo, and all that extra cool stuff like photos and what not.  That was one port I did appreciate.

« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
SMBDX was pretty cool.  They didn't ruin it with upgrades or terrible voiceovers, it had a challenge mood which was really awesome, a vs. mode, and lost levels, race boo, and all that extra cool stuff like photos and what not.  That was one port I did appreciate.

Everything in SMBDX rocked. Except the Super Players mode, they could have included all of the levels and more SMB2j-ized graphics.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
Yeah they changed it to look a bit more like the first one, I've always wanted to play the original.  Still, at least we got to play the first 8 worlds of it.

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2009, 08:54:40 AM »
You're aware that SMB2j was directly ported to the Virtual Console for only 600 points, I assume?
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »
The only problem the original has is that it's a pain to unlock worlds A-D.

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »
You're aware that SMB2j was directly ported to the Virtual Console for only 600 points, I assume?

Don't own a wii

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
...there's also the Famicom Mini GBA version released only in Japan, but that's hard to come by and costs around $40-60. I bought it a month before it released on VC (grrr.....)

« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
Back to the subject of New Super Mario Brothers, I wouldn't hold my breath for a sequel.

And how did I feel about this game?  It was ok.  I didn't LOVE it, I wouldn't call it a classic like the Super Mario Bros. series or Super Mario World, but it had its moments.  My main complaint about it, is what Nintendo seems to do with all of its latest, is make it too easy.  Getting 1-Ups is a sinch, and there's that trick to turn into huge Mario and just go ape through half the level...of course to enhance my experience, I didn't do that.  Second complaint: Bowser Jr.  But we all know how I feel about him already.

Not a bad game, but at least they finally did something new.

1992...Super Mario Land 2 comes out
2006...New Super Mario Bros. is released

Now that's surprising...first original handheld Mario platformer in 14 years!

« Reply #129 on: April 05, 2009, 01:28:53 PM »
1992...Super Mario Land 2 comes out
2006...New Super Mario Bros. is released

Now that's surprising...first original handheld Mario platformer in 14 years!

True, but SML2 proved to be the beginning of an uncharacteristically long hiatus in Mario platformer production. Until then, nearly every year had seen at least one new side-scrolling adventure in the series... but yeah.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »
Yeah, they changed it to the Wario Land series.  Don't get me wrong, but the first Wario Land game was awesome and challenging, and one of the coolest platformers I own on Gameboy...yes I bought it just a few weeks ago.

However, I also got Wario Land II...now that was terrible.  I very much prefer games that have some risk factor to them, but not being able to die was just a turd sandwich.  And why does he have to fly so far back when he gets hit?  Is that neccessary?

« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
Which one was Wario Land 1 again? The whole "Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land" title confuses me every time...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2009, 01:51:26 PM »
Wario Land 1 was Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land, but then they just started calling them Wario Land II, Wario Land 3, 4, etc.  Even Virtual Boy had one

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2009, 02:19:55 PM »
For everyone claiming Mario games have gotten progressively easier: Maybe you're just really bad at the older ones, somehow? I'll have about the same number of lives in New Super Mario Bros. as I'll have playing Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 just as long. Which is, admittedly, a lot. The difficulty isn't any different is what I'm saying. Most of the levels are smooth sailing and then there's the one with the one spot that kills you repeatedly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:22:27 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
When I first started playing the old Super Mario Bros. series, it was a challenge and a half, and it took years of practice to be able to finish the game with those tons of lives, but my first time playing through New Super Mario Bros. it was eays as pie to get tons of lives.

Print