Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario 3DS images  (Read 50038 times)

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
SPM's dialogue was decent, but there was far too much of it. Jmd is right about navigating the hub being a tedious affair; the elevator ride to the top of Flipside Tower was especially annoying.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Oh, yeah, that elevator was a pain. Personally, I think that while the gameplay may not have been right on par with TTYD's, I enjoyed seeing the trademark Paper Mario aesthic and humor mixed with more traditional platforming aspects.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »
Yeah, Rogueport is seriously one of the most fun game worlds I've ever experienced, period.  It ooze atmosphere and personality, and it was a great change of pace for the squeaky-clean Mario crew.  Man, this thread has me all nostalgia-y for TTYD...
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:19 PM »
SPM would've been just brilliant without the flipping. It slows you down, you want to check every inch of every area for goodies; which also forces you to play as Mario (you know, the one playable guy who doesn't talk). And you have to sit around waiting for the god[darn] flip meter to charge. Plus the Wii Remote is garbage when it comes to controlling anything in three dimensions. Basically flipping is the ultimate flaw in SPM, which sucks, considering how huge it is.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2012, 03:20:45 AM »

Shy Guys with sombreros. That's more like it.

After Nate Bihldorff showed it off at the conference, I think I'm sold on this. There probably won't be any partners, and I'm pretty much okay with that now (though I would be a lot more okay with it if I thought there were any plans for a replacement series so we could possibly someday get another Mario RPG in the vein of TTYD), but I think I'm ready to take this game on its own merits, and it looks like it'll be pretty good and still have a good amount of the spirit of the PM series.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2012, 04:54:26 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2cTOnhMmU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2cTOnhMmU</a>

Loving the cardboard look.

There probably won't be any partners

Odd that this "sticker fairy" is introduced as a character, but is barely seen following Mario on the field or in battle:

What has me a little worried is the sticker-based battle system. It seems as though using even your basic jump or hammer move costs you a sticker, meaning you'll always be at risk of running out... not that there looks to be a risk of shortage. Also, as mentioned in a top-rated YouTube comment, I hope to God we're not in for another level/world system like in SPM.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
This could be a horrible battle system, or it could be like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, in which any combat action except running and dodging cost a card.  If the latter, it'll be absolutely amazing and a contender for the best of the series.  But which will we get?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »

Odd that this "sticker fairy" is introduced as a character, but is barely seen following Mario on the field or in battle:

[/quote]

She probably hides in Mario's hat, like the Luma in the Galaxy series or any of the helper fairies in the Zelda series.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
The sticker battle system -- with stickers used for both attacking and defending -- kinda reminds me of the original Baten Kaitos.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »
I'm thinking the sticker system will either be like Chain of Memories, where you have a limited amount of stickers, or Kid Icarus Uprising, where they just have to fit on a grid or something. I'm willing to believe in the latter.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
(The music is fantastic.)

The sticker setup seems to be just the one screen. There might possibly be some type of item you buy or obtain to increase how many 'pages' of stickers you can have (kind of like the different sized wallets you can buy in Ocarina of Time, for example.) It's looking like they may have it similar to the current format where you can hold up to 10 items at a time, but in this case, hold up to a certain amount of stickers with bigger ones obviously taking up more space and making you manage them better for the perfect array (sort of like Brawl's trophy sticker thing).

The only downside to this I'm seeing is what everyone's already mentioned: if your basic attacks are stickers, what happens if you're at a hard boss that requires endurance and good planning and suddenly run out of stickers? Also, it seems that it could slow the place down quite a bit by having to search every single square inch of the levels you visit for stickers, and you'll have to if the game is gonna be based off this system.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
Maybe there'll be some means of collecting random stickers in-battle, like how most Final Fantasy games have an MP-restoration move. Alternatively, Mario might have some Struggle-esque desperation move.

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
good planning

run out of stickers

What

I haven't played the Kingdom Hearts game, but I see the similarites between Brawl and this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this and the fact that there are seemingly no partners. If it's going to stay like that, I may skip this one.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
That's a kind of lame reason to pass on it entirely.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 02:38:29 AM »
Is it? They were more or less what set the first two Paper Mario games apart from anything else. Super Paper Mario did have the same quality writing and some nice stories contained within the chapters, but without characters tying the player's party to that, everything becomes less memorable...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print