Print

Author Topic: Donkey Konga Central!  (Read 7641 times)

« on: September 27, 2004, 07:27:55 PM »
Post all your Donkey Konga stuff here!

Who's gotten a chance to play the game? Who's going to buy it?

Official page:

Edited by - wariolandman on 9/27/2004 6:32:02 PM

TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 07:32:47 PM »
That post has gotten really screwed up. The "last edited" thing is the link.
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 07:46:07 PM »
My copy will be in tomorrow.  (the link didn't work>)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 07:51:46 PM »
I bought it about a month ago, but it comes in tomorrow afternoon. This means that when I'm done with class I'll go down to the store and wait there.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 11:37:32 PM »
I played it all day. The DK Bongo controller is really, really well made, feels good, and its microphone is very sensitive (adjustable in-game, also). Controller gets an A+.

The actual game has an incredibly whacked song selection, ranging from dorky (to me) kid tunes to great new renditions of the Mario and Zelda themes. Tons of "golden oldies" also. I'm a fan of the more J-pop, techno, anime music style of DDR and some other rhythm games, but this is a -great- average American family songlist. Nintendo knows what they're doing to appeal to the masses, which is what rhythm games were designed to do in the first place. Would a n00b rather play a six button arcade fighter or ... dance? But I digress. It has a hearty number of songs and none are actually bad.

The graphics are pretty weak, consisting of just a Donkey Kong Country-esque background that cycles through about 5 different locations (cave, temple, jungle, beach) and Donkey Kong Country looking Donkey and Diddy and banana bird and that elephant from 3 running around. Balloons and flowers shoot around when you do rolls. Basically, the graphics are weak but who cares in a non-plot-type rhythm game?

The interface that tells you what to drum is pretty good. It's the standard drumming game one line with circles scrolling right to left. It took me about three hours to get to the point where I didn't have to think at all about what my hands were going to do. It would have been better still, though, if they would have had a column per drum and put the clap symbols in the middle of those columns. Gitaroo Man and DDR prove the effectiveness of different columns/areas for reading different buttons. B+

I haven't tried any multiplayer because the separate DK Bongos don't come in until tomorrow. Each store in the US apparently right now only gets 2 DK Bongos to sell seperately, though. After the clerk told me this, I "reserved" one. Hee hee. Two player should be cool, though, because I believe the drum parts are different. It also adds POW blocks and slot machines and roll competitions. I probably won't get to play 4-player until Christmas break, though.

Difficulty: It's hard for me to judge difficulty because I'm such a grizzled rhythm game veteran and I had absolutely no problem beating the very hardest songs (It's going to be a bit rough getting a Gold on each, though). Observing other people play, however, taught me that Chimp is easy enough for pure rhythmless n00bs to learn on. Difficulty scales nicely upward from there. Since you have to unlock the Hard difficulty for all songs laboriously and separately, I saw my fair share of what the easier versions are like. Don't worry about Donkey Konga being too hard for you or anything.

Major complaints: #1 They cut off the last two verses of the DK Rap. That is horrible. It just stupidly fades out. I am really annoyed at this faux pas. Many songs are way longer, so I have no clue why they butchered one of the coolest songs in the game.
#2 The different drum sets you unlock are cool, but many of them have sounds that are much too long to be a drum "beat". I suppose it wouldn't matter on low difficulties with more spaced out beats, but since I was playing mostly on Gorilla (hard), using something like the Car Set resulting in not even hearing the song, but instead a nonstop ruckus of cars screeching and crashing and honking. Cool in a way, but not hearing the song makes it hard to play well ;).

Some Sets sound fantastic with certain songs, though, resulting in many a dopy grin on my face at their sound. Some recommendations:

Dog Set w/ "Bingo"  When I first played Bingo I didn't really like it, but when I played it with the Dog Set, it was Super Fun ^_^

NES Set w/ "Super Mario Bros. Theme"  The NES Set is Donkey Kong sound effects.

Whip Set w/ "Whip It"  Devo's Whip It is one of the most fun songs to play and with a set where clapping (which they put on the whip crack parts) makes a guy scream "YeeOUCH!" is sadistic and gratifying at the same time. Or maybe just mostly hilarious.

Most of the coolest sounding sets I haven't gotten yet because I spent all my Coins on getting all 33 songs' Gorilla difficulty unlocked for the longest time. Mario Set, Zelda Set, Kirby Set, Orchestra Set, and others are very expensive but could provide even more potential coolness.

Minigames: Haven't gotten them yet

Conclusion: This game is super-fun. I hope it becomes very popular and Ninty cranks out the sequels. I also really like the DK Bongos themselves, so I'm hopeful that more games will come down the pipe that use them. Let's hear it for innovation.

[Editor's Note: Lizard Dude needs sleep badly due to a horrible sequence of events last night that resulted in him being locked away from his bookbag and having to redo a bunch of Japanese 101 homework that was due the next morning and staying up until 5:00AM and then not getting to nap because of the insane power of Donkey Konga. We apologize for any weirdness in form or grammar or syntax or style or look of this post. Thank you.]

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:23:16 PM »
I agree. This game is insanely fun. Of course, I don't care about the graphics muhc 'cause you're not really moving or anything. The controls are simple enough for my 6 year old nephew and video game-imcompetent older sister to play on, and the difficulties are very well balanced. My nephew can accomplish some of the songs by himself, but others, I gotta sit in the room and do the claps for him, heh heh. Meanwhile, Gorilla is ridiculously hard, and I love it, being a long time and accomplished musician, despite the fact I am able to beat most of them. Unlocking is a little boring, but it keeps the game fresh, I guess. I definately would like to see a sequel with more songs.

Of course, my only complaint... Why in the world did they not put "Do The Donkey Kong" in it?!! COME ON! Donkey Kong music game. Song about Donkey Kong. DUDE, that is like like one of the most blatantly obvious choices they could've put in. Oh well. One more thing, which isn't a bad play on their part, merely my personal taste. I'd have liked to seen less pop songs from current artists, and more oldschool rock, classical, and/or game songs. Oh and a nother cool bonus, the full version of the Pokemon theme song is in it. I don't think they had ever played the full version in the U.S. for anything. Oh, and the techno remix of Turkish March? *smooch* I love it. The best thing about this game, is the fact that people can no longer tell me "Yeah well, PS2 is better because it has DDR." Sorry buddy, Gamecube doesn't need DDR now.

All in all... I love this game.

Edited by - Meowrik on 9/29/2004 5:24:54 PM
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 08:21:45 PM »
I got a question.  Are there any cool characters in it like Funky and Candy to choose from?  For some reason I kind of like them.

"Kids, don''t use formula one race cars to chase hedgehogs."
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 08:31:30 PM »
You don't choose characters. But it's not like they do anything. I forgot about "Do The Donkey Kong", though! Good idea!

DDR is still cool in its own way. Cooler, even, -I'd- say, but that's just personal preference. Maybe becuase I'm mad good at DDR.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 10:20:10 PM »
The game is very cool, but I want more drums.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 10:47:57 PM »
Wow. I didn't think anyone liked the DK Rap.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 11:13:55 PM »
Got my second DK Bongos today. The game is a blast single-player, but multi is stinkin' untouchable.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 05:07:36 PM »
I don't think buying another bongo controller is worth it. For the one time every month you ever have people over(unless you're in college like Lizard Dude), you could still use a controller, and even so, it's very possibly to still have fun taking turns. And lastly, $35? Come on...

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 05:46:56 PM »
Hey man, I have less multiplayer opportunity in college. Daily shindigs with homies yielded the hottest 4 player action on any game around.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 12:43:30 PM »
Sounds like a party in the hizzous! (and LD's servin the goods!)  But back to my question... are Candy and Funky in the game?!  By the way, excuse my "newbieness" but what's DDR stand for?  I probably heard it and just forgot.

"Kids, don''t use formula one race cars to chase hedgehogs."

Edited by - Yoshisaurus Rex on 10/1/2004 11:45:30 AM
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »
Question #2 Answer: Dance Dance Revolution

Egg Power

Print