Print

Author Topic: Return to old skool 2D  (Read 4883 times)

« on: June 17, 2000, 12:45:25 PM »
I think it would be cool if Nintendo made a Mario game in the style of Super Mario World for the N64.  A purely 2D, sprite-based game using 64 M-bits would absolutely rock, in my opinion.  Just think about how HUGE the game could be!  And because graphics couldn't be astronomical, the makers would have to include great gameplay and replay value.

Of course, most of you probably think that idea is way off the wall.  Can I get a second opinion?
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
It would be nice to have a 2D Mario game that would later have a long 3D ending :)

-James Head
[CPU3X@webtv.net]
[CPU3X@hotmail.com]
-James Head

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2000, 11:36:14 AM »
I'd love to see a completely 2D game.  SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW were great.  I can't even sit down and play SM64.  In general gaming, there is yet to be a 3D game that I have enjoyed.  Please go back to 2D!!

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2000, 01:40:29 PM »
Yeah, i'm sick of this 3D. 2D was the best and is still the best!
Ori Porath

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2000, 05:40:50 PM »
Yes, The 3D games were great at first, but now they're all so much the same that I puke when a new one that obiously has no thought and is just being rushed comes out. I've only really played through three 3d games- Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, and Sonic Adventure (I'm a non biased gamer!) and still, I miss the golden days of 2d. I'm crossing my fingers that Miyamoto will have the sense to make one of those.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2000, 08:15:40 PM »
Wow...I posted a message like this a long time ago...history repeats itself, huh? Anyway... Yeah, that'd be great. It shouldn't be done like Yoshi's Story, it should be just like Mario for the NES or SNES with a 64-bit color pallete. And 64-bit music! :P If they wanted to put enough work into it, they could make a really great game. I know I'd buy it. What do you mean. of course it would have map screens! :)

-YOSHI :P
Woohoo.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2000, 06:08:00 PM »
Sorry Yoshi2, about re-posting your message (boy, is my face red!).  But this is a topic that I think is very important, and I was interested in everyones' opinion.

If it's over 2D, don't touch it! ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2000, 06:26:44 PM »
Why, think nothing of it! There's nothing wrong with doing that.. at least to me! The topic was getting a little close to the drain anyway! :)

-YOSHI :P
Woohoo.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2000, 12:58:35 AM »
Although I've really enjoyed the 3D Mario game (I was about to say "games" -pheh). I'd love to see a 2D Mario game come out. Nice graphics, but nothing that could be called "eye-candy". Excellent music and a nice long plot would be good too.

On second thought, I'd like to see a 3D Mario game that is in the same spirit as the first games like SMB and "Lost Levels". One that you can DIE in. I hate how after SMB2 Mario got so much stronger with new super powers that the enemies weren't even annoying anymore. I want Koopas that can kill you..even after they've been bopped once. I want really hard levels to survive through, not just hard stars to find. And most of all, I want killer Koopalings!

Conclusion: I don't want Mario64 2, I want a 3D MARIO game.

-TurtleTek
www.extremesc.com/turtletek/beam

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2000, 07:08:04 AM »
They will definitely make a 2D Mario game
for GBA since it can only do primitive 3D
(well compared to SM64 anyway).

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2000, 12:52:36 PM »
Yeah, it is kinda comforting to think that the GBA will only be capable of primitive 3D rendering.  I haven't kept up with the GBA, but I hear it is roughly the equivalent of the SNES...

Print