Print

Author Topic: Looking for a job ~ Best place to work?  (Read 2447 times)

« on: October 01, 2008, 10:52:32 PM »
Alright, for the past few weeks, I've been looking for a part-time job. I'd like to know what would be some of the best places to work at. I've heard some good things about In-N-Out Burger: like flexible hours for college students, and good training (as well as something about "Discrimination in favor of the employees" Whatever that means or is.) I understand that it would be a pretty demanding job, but I know that if I try, I can do it.

What I really want is a job that would pay me a good amount of money (I understand that I would most likely be starting minimun wage $8), that's not to stressfully tiresome (Yeah right.), flexible hours (I'm a full time student at community college), and a job thats an easy (*shot*) entry level job. I would really do weekends.

If I sound like a total idiot or clueless individual, is because again this would be my first job ever and I don't want to struggling the first time. I don't think I even know what my dumb*** self is suppose to do other then just filing out a job application and then turning in this resume (the one below) to whoever, and then scheduling an interview with somebody from the place I'm applying to. :P

CUSTOMER SERVICE (I have no idea what I would be applying for in an In-N-Out Burger.)

HIGHLIGHTS of QUALIFICATIONS
Customer Service
    Proficient utilizing: MS Word and Internet Usage
    Willing to take the extra step to meet customer needs
    Effective listening (lol) and communication skills
    Known for remaining calm and working well under stressful conditions/situations
    Flexible and ability to work with minimal supervision (I'm a slow learner)

Organization
    Utilized research abilities to construct and organize written assignments
    Strength in prioritizing tasks
    Strong attention to detail

Interpersonal & Teamwork Skills
    Interact well with diverse populations
    Have successfully contributed to group work assignments to meet course requirements

Support Staff
    Provided assistance in loading and unloading cabinets for installation and clean up
    Replace carpeting within home
    Maintain safe and efficient work environment for crew

EDUCATION

8/2008- Present            Los Medanos College            Pittsburg, CA
Courses towards degree

2008                    Dear Valley High School        Antioch, CA
High School Diploma

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE

2007- Present                Merillat Ind.            Bay Area
Installation Helper
Now my flaws, I don't plan on adding these on my resume :P :
Don't use these flaws against me on any argument outside of this topic. I'm being honest about myself here]*I have hard time listening and following directions
*Somewhat dependent on others
*Stubborness
*I usually have a hard time thinking and focusing
*Some time management problems (That CAN be improved)

I really need a job soon, as I'm entering the real world like now, and I need to be supporting myself as I can't rely in my parents for cash forever (duh).

Thanks for reading this topic, I hope I can get some good advise here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Just don't bite me.

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »
Dude, I know better..forget about that burger station, that's like the lowest function you can get.
You care about the old and weak people? Take a job in doing their households, it's what I do and so gratefull. You can really earn respect in this job, and in burger places they do want to stress you out(but they don't mention that in ads)
I'd really recommend you homecare! It pays well, zero zero stress.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:04:58 AM »
As for well-paying, I was a soccer referee for my local recreational sports program. It paid about 14 dollars a game (which are 50 minutes), I got two games a night probably two or three nights a week. The kids were 10 at the oldest. The hours were super flexible. However, of course, it was only during soccer season, and I had a lot of trouble dealing with stupid parents and angry coaches. I was pretty young when I was doing it, and it takes a lot of patience and integrity and courage to stand up to those people when they're screaming at you for making a wrong call. In recreational soccer? For 8 year olds? Come on. But soccer referees get paid really well, and the hours are flexible. At least, with my program.

I do not have an In-n-Out burger anywhere near here, but I heard that the pay starts at like 10 bucks an hour there. Plus the food is amazing. I'd go for it.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
I can tellyou where not to work: Burger King and Walmart.

I don't know if it's just the BK that I worked at, but several of the managers either discriminated against several of the regular workers or hand-pikced and promoted their favorites. I am not aware if the restaurant manager knew what was going on, but I hear things got worse after I quit again (I worked there twice..)

Walmart is not very nice to their cashiers. My wife and I started there around the same time, both of us cashiers. She finally couldn't take it anymore, blew up at one of the ruder customers, and management swooped in and took her to the back to talk to her. She since has worked in the TLE area (automotives) and now works in the pharmacy (where everyone loves her).

The same thing happened to me, but instead of giving me options like they did her, they gave me a D-Day or Decision Day. That's when you are paid to stay home for one day and think about whether you still want the job. I didn't, so I went back to BK..

Anyway, I work at Cinnabon now, and I can reccomend working here, as it is nothing like either place. Well, ok, the customers are still a bit stupid, but I guess you're going to get that anywhere.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
If you have any talents or skills, you could try taking advantage of them by applying to a job in an area you're femiliar with; for example, I did a summer camp for musical theatre kids because I did musical theatre myself in high school.

Have you tried looking for jobs on campus at your community college?  That's where I plan on working next semester--well, I mean not at your college, but, yeah.

I have a friend who works at a movie theatre.  You can apply online for Century Theatres.  Free movies and popcorn!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print