Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Fans: Discriminated or Truth!?  (Read 9172 times)

« on: January 16, 2004, 07:17:41 AM »
For so long, many of us here where prejudiced at least one time, and probably because you're a Super Mario Fan!

You have been probably called a 'baby' because you love Super Mario games...

What's my point here?

Let's discuss this issue:
Do you think we, as Super Mario Fans, are being discriminated or is it the truth that we are 'babies' because we love Super Mario!?

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 08:15:30 AM »
Really depends on who you ask. Most people I know would say that I'm immmature because the mario games are too easy, so in that sense I suppose they're right.
But many peole put up arguments like "Mario's for babies cuz it's rated E and everything in the game isn't a shade of blue or black, and mario's Italian but he doesn't even cuss (that's swear for those of you who don't live in a hicktown) and nobody dies, and the ending is always happy, and there aren't any sexual innuendos..."
Ya get it?

"Walk softly and carry a Super Scope."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 09:01:46 AM »
Eh. My friends mostly like Mario and Nintendo games also and don't seem to care. A large margin of X-Box and PS2 Fans I'm acquainted with never comment on my liking of Mario and Kirby, although there have been a couple of idiots here and there...

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 10:06:25 AM »
Meh... I'm more of a video game fan than a Mario fan. I read a lot of video game magazines and websites, so I can make small talk with anyone with a PS2, X-Box, or GCN.

But I really don't go out in the open and shout something like, "I LIKE MARIO!!!". So, being a Mario fan soesn't bother me. But if someone DID try to give me a hard time about liking Mario, I'd just stare at them. If you've seen that pic I posted on here a while ago, you may realize how unsettling that could be.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 11:25:02 AM »
This was a bigger problem when I was younger.  When I was a kid, I was a huge Mario fan, and others were Mario fans, too.  As we started to grow up, many took the mentality, "Oh, we can't like what we liked as kids anymore!" while I remained still a huge Mario fan.  If anything, I became *more* of a fan as I grew older!

It was hardest in the 8th grade to early highschool years, as a certain "cool" was prevelant in all things, and being a 9th grader who drew Mario all over his notes was not part of that "cool."  It hit its hight as Sony introduced the PSX, and all of the sudden Nintendo got the label as "kiddie."

Thing is, this is also when I came to realize that "cool" is not a definite term.  I proudly started proclaiming my Mario fan-dom again, and drew entire comics based on him.  I saw that "kiddie" was (and still is) just a derogatory of refering to games that all ages can enjoy.  I, quite frankly, respect those games much more than the mature games on the market about crime and other things.

Since the boiling point, things have died down.  Now being a Mario fan has a certain retro "cool" to it, so discrimination isn't as prevelent.

Still, "cool" or not, I'm proud of being a Mario fan.  Fun characters and timeless games that anybody can enjoy? That really is something to be proud of.

----------

I''m back, baby! Well, kinda...
----------

I''m back, baby! Well, kinda...

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 04:39:38 PM »
I've never been discriminated against. For one, most people I know either a) have nothing against Mario, b) Don't care about video games that much, or c) Are too reserved and self-composed to rag on anyone for something like that.

And the ones that have done so had no argument, and I presented my side of it easily, leaving them to mumble and sort of... change the subject. ^_^

Babies? No. It's a uniquity, a rare but slowly growing state of mind; in the future, there will be more people 'like us'. In my opinion, anyway.

Mario lives forever, even if Nintendo disowns him completely! Never surrender!

Mario`s adventure is over for now, but,

Mario`s dream lives forever...

Dream on, Mario... dream on.

Kickin' it since 2000.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 06:56:03 PM »
No one I know thinks Mario is uncool or a big deal.  I'm not too obsessed with him either.  I mean, they're video games.  Cool.  Whatever.  Yeah, he's my favorite.  I can play some of the songs on the piano.  Some of the guys in my class think I'm obsessed with Mario, but I just think that as far as video games go, his are awesome.  I basically try not to make a big deal out of it.  Just video games... thats it.  At least to me, video games aren't a big part of my life.

How ironic.  I try to put significance or eloquence into my signature on a message board.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 07:02:25 PM »
I don't get it. You rank up there, as far as I can see, with people who post most often. And you're at a Mario message board, for crying out loud; imagine the tons of huge fans who are out there but don't go far enough as to go posting on a message board. How can you say video games aren't a big part of your life? No offense; more of a curiosity matter, I guess.

Kickin' it since 2000.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 07:05:54 PM »
Depends who I hang around with.
Some of my friends like Nintendo,some hate Nintendo and would rather play an Xbox.
I can fit in with both, seeing as I play Xbox and GCN.
The problem at my school is being a Zelda fan, no one cares whether you're a Mario fan or not.
"OMG ZELDA YOU LIKE ZELDA YOU SUCK!"
They haven't seen Ocarina of Time.
Find your inner monkey.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 07:14:17 PM »
Just tell them Zelda owns.

And no, I don't know what "(insert noun here) owns" means. But it sounds funny.

Edited by - Super Mario on 1/16/2004 5:16:11 PM

Kickin' it since 2000.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 11:18:44 PM »
Video games are still not a big part of my life.  As for the Message Board, this one rocks compared to other ones I've seen.  This was my first message board, and I might as well be able to talk about the theme.  Lemme clarify what I meant.  I play the GBA on weekends, and the GC and N64 once in while.  And out of all the video games I have, Super Mario is my favorite.  But video games aren't in my top three most important things or anything.  VGs aren't important life factors, they're games.  Like, is shooting hoops that important?  Well, not to me, I dunno about everyone else...  To me, going on a message board is another totally different thing.  I just think it's strange that video games matter so much that people hate you for it.  What difference does it make?  You just don't talk about it to people you know don't like it.  And if they still bother you, then the must really suck.  I agree to disagree.

In conclusion, going to this message board is  more of communication to me than talking about only Mario, and video games are games to me instead of things that are so important to mean kids that they bother you for it.

How ironic.  I try to put significance or eloquence into my signature on a message board.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 11:48:39 PM »
Let's just say I've gotten death threats for being a Mario fan.

Where do I go to school? No, not a big city, just a rather banal suburban area that is just REALLY shallow.

Stupid Quotes: (10th Edition)
"Super Mario Sunshine is an overhyped, boring kids` game with a fruity name that got higher ratings than it deserved."
"Aaron S." - with a dishonorable mention to Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine (Issue #165, pg. 24) for printing the opinions of people who don`t deserve to have opinions.

Edited by - Insane Steve on 1/16/2004 9:49:05 PM
~I.S.~

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 03:37:34 AM »
there aren't any sexual innuendos...

Actually I would dispute that.  Not that there are MANY, or that they're not debatable and extremely subtle, but I'd say there have been a few references made, particularily in Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario.

As for whether I've been teased about liking Mario--no, because if people are going to tease you they're going to find a reason to do so no matter what, and so I avoid them.  In other words I don't (or didn't, I'm not in high school anymore) talk about Mario to the kind of people who would tease me about something like that, since they're not my friends anyway.  I did have a Wiggler keychain on my bag for awhile and got nothing but positive comments, for what that's worth.
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 10:06:52 AM »
Heh. I've actually gone to school in a red long sleeved shirt and overalls before. I got a few Mario comments, but no negative ones. It was actually a lot of fun.

I remember once during "bring in a stuffed animal day" (this must have been Middle or Elementary school), I brought in my stuffed Mario that says "It's-a me, Mario!", and no one gave me flack for that, either. They all thought it was cool.

Just depends on how you present yourself. If you get teased a lot on a daily basis, or more than the usual person, you'll probably get teased about Mario. If no one teases you, then you could probably wear a "Bear in the Big Blue House" t-shirt and get by without much trouble from people.

Kickin' it since 2000.

n/a

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2004, 04:16:42 PM »
I am in the 8th grade and i get what Roy Koopa described fairly often. Not that i care, because the large number of people who are absolutely fascinated with Xbox and this "Halo" thing (they even go around reading some kind of stupid series of books about it... 0_o)aren't my friends, so i don't care, really... but yes, i do get discriminated against quite a bit; i envy those who can dress up as Mario and not get thrown in a trash bin or something.

Edited by - Deezer on 1/12/2004 5:12:44 PM

Print