Print

Author Topic: Where do you work/go to college/want to do/etc.  (Read 6515 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
What do y'all wanna do in life and what are y'all doing now?

1. Where do you work or want to work?
2. What are your after college plans/after high school plans?
3. Where do you want to go to college and for what?
4. What are you majoring or minoring in, etc. if you're there now?
5. What kind of vehicle do you drive, if any?
6. Is there a car you've always longed for?

Mine:

1. Either going to be working at the new Dead Fish Grill with my girlfriend by the lake and dam, or at Garlyn-Shelton Imports (BMW/Mazda) being a porter... detailing cars, courtesy car, filling them up, etc.
2.Go work and hopefully figure out what I want to do with my life.
3. I was going to go to Texas State Technical College in Waco for their BMW course they advertised, but as soon as I told the recruiter that he said "I've been here 6 years and never heard of that!!!!" I told him, "Well, you advertised it in an up-to-date brochure," and he said "Well, I can get you in with Toyota!! Wouldn't you rather do that??!?!" Uh, no, he was just trying to get me in that stupid program because they offer it... and I didn't want to be a mechanic getting paid to do crappy warranty work and get paid flat-rate. Right now, I have no idea what I'm interested in because what I AM interested in is not exactly where the money is. I love how things work, why things are the way they are, particularly interested in the weird world of quantum mechanics, understanding all of the I love detailing cars down to the most anal detail, I'd love to road-race at clubs or something because I've always loved that, working with new cars and critiquing them and cars of the past, reading about the etymology of words or gestures humans have created, reading about what the future holds for us (Ultra-High Definition Television, folks lol), and meteorology and all the phenomena associated it from optical to physical a whole lot, and understanding everything. I just don't exactly know where I could go for that to be a love, but make good money doing it, you know?
4.Doesn't apply to me, yet.
5.First vehicle was an '01 Dodge Ram 1500. 2 wheel drive, 5-speed manual, 273ci (I believe)(3.9L V6), never missed a lick. Traded that truck for a '94 BMW 318is. 5-speed manual, stupid little 112ci 4 cylinder (1.8L, but still got out of its own way with peppy, low gears). Bimmer crapped out and I started a project my 27 year old brother abandoned me on once I ran out of money... real mature, Robert. I had no money left for it and it was still gonna be screwed up anyway, so I sold it about a month ago after Morgan's Point Resort sent me a letter saying if I didn't cover it or get rid of it in 10 days they'd fine me $500 the first day, and $275 every day after that.. (although it was concealed in the backyard by a fence on a concrete pad we built earlier for our Morgan building we never moved. It never was trashy; I always kept it clean as if I still drove it. The neighbor behind me, Herbert, is the city council dude, so he probably complained about it. I sold the car within 6 days after craigslist.com but I still got a letter saying I owed city hall $775. That was obviously bullcrap since I had proof of selling it before that deadline, and fought it and they backed down never apologizing or anything, of course, for the bogus claim. So now, since my parents have been trippy about cars since my older brother and sister and have wrecked their cars (well, my bro stole my dad's ford ranger when he was 12, he was dumb but mature now... and I've never had a wreck and gotten only two tickets for dumb stuff) so my parents were like UR GONNA TEAR THIS NEXT ONE UP SO NO. So now, I drive a piece of crap '86 Jeep Cherokee, 2.8L carbureted V6, crappy 3-speed automatic slushbox, 287000+ miles on it... but I gotta say the transfer case for the 4-wheel drive works beautifully and it fires up every morning and goes like hell, so I don't mind it.
6.In the short term, I want an E36 (1994-1999 body style) BMW ///M3. Beautiful car, quick, very good on gas as every BMW typically is, awesome handling characteristics and an awesome stance and body look. Long term, I'd like a Porsche 993 (well, sold as the 911 but 993 refers to the chassis and body it rolled on from 1995-1998), and I'd like either a naturally-aspirated or turbo/twin turbocharged variant. Porsche's famous Guards Red with beige interior or Midnight Blue Metallic on Grey/Slate interior would suit my just fine!

Sorry for being so long, but now it's your turn and there shouldn't be any mistakes in there! I really don't want to check.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:49:20 PM »
I'm a computer science major at Washington State University. Five and six don't apply to me because I don't have, and don't want a car.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:52:57 AM »
My teachers always encouraged early planning and focusing on the future. I want to graduate from high school early, only by a year, which will be 2010. I want to go to UCLA and major in nursing. I want to make a living working in the pediatric cancer ward at Cedars Sinai, which is a wonderful hospital.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »
Good stuff, Suffix!

Pt_Peach, I commend you for choosing that route, also. Both my parents are RNs and have loved it. Very good pay, excellent benefits, and insurance for dental, eyes, etc.

Might I suggest that once you get experienced in that field you could possibly take up travel nursing, if you're interested in that and awesome six-figure salaries (not like $102,000, but around the $150,000 depending on your experience). Both my parents have done it together and my dad has been doing the long distance ones frequently. Actually, my dad is on assignment right now in flood-stricken Cedar Rapids, Iowa; he was offered to help alleviate some of the shortages that have been popping up because of the floods that have been occurring around the state and had recently got back from working at a hospital having a strike in Kentucky (no threat to him because they were old ladies protesting with signs and he worked night shift anyway). If you don't feel like leaving home though there are plenty of opportunities that might be available in your state at least. Since we live in Texas, my dad has mostly been traveling within the state going to Houston, San Antonio, and Harlingen (Har-luh-jin) near the border right by South Padre Island. When he gets back from Iowa, he'll being go straight to Dallas/Fort Worth to do another assignment but he'll have plenty of days off to come see us (we live about 45 minutes north of Austin and barely an hour and a half south of Dallas right on IH-35 in Bell County, so he's close to home usually).

If you consider, your options will typically be 13 weeks on, 13 weeks off, twice (getting that huge six-figure income in that short amount of time or a more family-oriented 8 weeks on and 8 weeks off twice, if you're closer to home. With that income you'll be in the ultra-high income tax bracket of 33%, but it won't matter too much!!
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:16 AM »

Hastings

Work at Hastings

The past, to relive the crazy antics and massive amounts of free time

I'm not there now

1999 Oldsmobile 88

No

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »
1. My dream jobs are running a gourmet peanut butter and jelly sandwich restaurant, working for Nintendo as the Leland Chee of Mario (never going to happen), or being an actor on a sitcom for a decade or so. If none of those happen, which they won't, I hope to get into the film industry somehow. Hopefully somewhere stable. I think I need stability.
2. In college now; no idea what I'm going to do when I get out. And I'm about to start my third year. I need to come up with something soon.
3+4. Right now I'm at Messiah College in Pennsylvania, majoring in film.
5+6. I'm 18 and I don't even have a permit yet. I've never really been very motivated to get a license and a car, what with my horrible sense of direction, no idea how to fix or maintain cars, and the price of gas.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:50 AM »

OfficeMax. Can't think of any place I'd want to work.

???

I go to the University of Toledo.

Something to do with English and/or music.

1999 Dodge Avenger.

Lamborghini Diablo.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »
1.  I work at a Dry Cleaners, where I make $8 an hour for being yelled at by an old jewish couple from 2pm-6pm
2. Going to law school, then going into the D.A.'s office so I can lock up ne'er-do-wells.
3. I'm going to Stonybrook University right now. Politics.
4. American Political Science, minoring in music performance.
5. 2000 Saturn Stationwagon
6. Chrysler 300
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:52:39 PM »
1. I wanted to work at the movie theatre, but they never answered back when I sent in my resume, so it looks like I'll just have some on-campus job at college this year.

2. I always wanted to be on Saturday Night Live, so I was hoping I could join some kind of improv troupe first, but now I'm not so sure I could be on TV anyway.  I'll probably get some boring job, live in an apartment until I finish some novel that will go unnoticed.

3.  Well, I'm going to college in Southern LA, CA, but now that I'm in, I almost wish I could go anywhere else so that I could major in something else.  At this college, you can only do certain activities based on whatever your major is, and it just seems so limiting.

4.  My declared major is Creative Writing, which is another way of saying I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life and I'm scared I'll never get anywhere with anything.  I hope I can change my major to something else, but the majors I'd rather have require portfolios or auditions... but brick walls are there to keep out those who don't want it enough!  And I do!

5. I drive the family cars.  Nothing special.  My dad has a hybrid car, though.

6. I guess I've always admired a nice lamborghini, but I wouldn't want one.  I kind of wanted a vespa for a while too, but because of gas prices, I'd opt for a bicycle like the one Pee-Wee Herman had.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:34:03 PM by Markio »
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »
1. Right now I work in a neuroscience lab at the University of California, Berkeley.
2. After grad school, I'd like to do research and development, perhaps related to artificial vision, probably in a non-academic setting.
3. I attended Virginia Tech for undergrad, and I attend UC Berkeley and UC San Francisco for grad school.
4. In undergrad, I did an Honors Baccalaureate in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Biology, and minored in Math, Physics, Chemistry, and Microelectronics Engineering.  I did a Masters in Electrical Engineering, and am currently doing a joint Ph.D. in Bioengineering.
5. '95 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe
6. I'd like to have some sort of electric or similar car, but not like anything commercially available.  There are some pretty nice R&D/concept cars out there.  If only I had time to experiment with that kind of technology myself.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
I: Hartford Life, as an actuarial intern. I hope to get a full time position there and get my FSA eventually.
II: see I. Hopefully. If I'm bad at interviewing and I don't get a full time position there I'll try elsewhere.
III: Purude. Actuarial Science.
IV: see III
V: 2004 Cavalier. 27k miles. I'm keeping it for probably the next 5-10 years.
VI: No. Expensive cars are a wasteful purchase to me. I mean, if you like them, awesome, but I'd rather buy an In the Groove 2 machine.
~I.S.~

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 05:10:20 PM »
III: Purude. Actuarial Science.
Quoted for irony.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 07:46:57 PM »
2. Going to law school, then going into the D.A.'s office so I can lock up ne'er-do-wells.

Remember: they're always guilty!

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »
1. Mcdonalds
2. nothing
3. I don't want to.
4. I'm not there now.
5. 95 Cavalier
6. Not really. But an electric one would be nice when they become affordable.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:02 PM »
1. I was supposed to get my license early this summer and have a summer job at the nearby grocery store, but I got AP English assignments to go and my horrid old mummy won't let me. Next year.
2. After high school will probably come a junior college or something.
3. Don't know where. Want to be a graphics designer. As in, for video games (I tell people I want to be a graphics designer in the RL and they think I mean businessy-type stuff).
4. N/A
5. It's a Ford Focus. My dad'll be so annoyed when I'm using it every day and he has to burn money to keep his truck going.
6. The Blue Falcon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:48:36 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print