Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 478834 times)

« Reply #1755 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »
Fuuzzies are a forgotten Koopa shell thief, are they not? 
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1756 on: May 30, 2009, 03:46:57 PM »
I don't know what the heck that has to do with the current subject but whatever.

Here's a list of known Koopa subspecies

-Spiked Koopas (Bowser, Boom Boom, etc.)
-Koopatrol
-Koopa Troopa
-Magikoopa
-Hammer Bro. (includes variants such as Boomerang Bros., etc.)
-Sledge Bro. (consists of Chargin' Chucks and Sumo Bros.)
-Spiny
-Buzzy Beetle (includes Spike Tops)
-Shellcreeper (consists of all instances of quadrupedal Koopa Troopas)
-Gabon (also known as Spike, Clubba, and "Mace Penguin")
-Lakitu

It shouldn't be too hard to create a chart showing how all of these guys relate to one another. Lakitu seems like the most difficult one to fit in.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:29:28 PM by Sapphira »

Sqrt2

« Reply #1757 on: May 30, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
Isn't a Koopatrol just a Koopa Troopa in a suit of armour?

Also, do Dry/Dull Bones count as a koopa subspecies?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:21:27 PM by Sqrt2 »
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #1758 on: May 30, 2009, 06:51:58 PM »
Lakitus couldn't be that difficult to relate to their fellows. They're really little more than a beakless, bespectacled Koopa subspecies in a cloud.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1759 on: May 30, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »
Maybe Lakitus are the adult form of Spinies.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1760 on: May 30, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »
Also, do Dry/Dull Bones count as a koopa subspecies?
I always thought they were undead Troopas.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1761 on: May 31, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
They are.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1762 on: May 31, 2009, 08:21:18 AM »
Or undead Yoshies.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1763 on: June 03, 2009, 04:30:32 AM »
I talked about this in the chatroom but I feel I should write it here. It's not much of a theory so much as an anecdote.

When I was younger and didn't realize much, I imagined that the Yoshis in Super Mario Sunshine were actually living manifestations of the last fruit they ate. They behave similarly:
-They change color to "match" (since when are bananas or coconuts pink) the last fruit eaten
-The whole juice mechanic.
-Melting in water? The fruits sort of blow up when you throw them in water... Not if you're carrying them but whatever.
-The juice meter depleting over time--the fruits don't vanish in the game, but real fruits rot.

But now I realize, they just rushed the game and a half-quality job was put into it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1764 on: June 12, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
In Galaxy, it took sixty Power Stars (and some Grand Stars, though those weren't as necessary -- can't you actually beat the game with only three or four of them?) to fly the Observatory to the center of the universe in a negligible amount of time (it looked to be only a few minutes, maybe a few days at most, but even ten years would be incredibly fast for a trip like that). Bowser flew Peach's castle and all his airships there too, apparently using the 120 Power Stars in the castle (the best explanation, beyond sheer dramatic effect, for why he took the whole castle instead of just kidnapping Peach), so the castle's stars are at least about half as powerful as the Power Stars scattered across the universe, and are probably the same thing. So if one single Power Star is enough to travel 1/60th of the way across the universe, how much power did it take Bowser to seal those doors in Mario 64? Apparently a lot.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1765 on: June 13, 2009, 07:30:07 AM »
The whole situation in Mario 64 doesn't make much sense. Apparently the stars power/protect the castle, but somehow Bowser "stole" the stars by hiding them in the painting worlds, which are...inside the castle. Specifically their walls. How does this work? And what did Bowser do to override the stars' power and seal the doors off?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #1766 on: June 13, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
I always assumed that the painting worlds actually existed somewhere in the outside world, and the paintings were just warps to them. There were still some stars in the castle, which were presumably the ones Bowser didn't know about.

I used to have an idea about why the paintings warped to where the stars were, but I forgot it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1767 on: June 13, 2009, 10:09:44 AM »
The stars in the castle and in the universe aren't necessarily different in power.  Perhaps Rosalina's observatory is able to use the stars twice as efficiently as Bowser's fleet.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1768 on: June 14, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
Yeah, a car runs on gas but you'd be hard-pressed to get a telephone to do the same.

...Wait, who am I kidding, that makes no sense. Anyway, I always figured the paintings just inherently contained magical separate worlds, akin perhaps to those in Harry Potter or the occasional horror story. Some, at least--after all, not every one took you somewhere (but how I wish they had!), and some world entrances aren't even paintings...

On a separate note (I'm not sure if this was worthy of a thread or not), this article is tounge-in-cheek and I'm sure the issue has been wryly raised before, but... what is that thing, anyway?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1769 on: June 14, 2009, 05:39:31 PM »
I'm inclined to believe it's a naughty item (vibrator, thong, etc.). The "XXX" label in the Japanese version is the leading clue.

Print