Print

Author Topic: Is Game Boy dead?  (Read 29610 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
that was pretty stupid.the PSP and DS have no similarities, the PSP is just like a portable movie player, nothing speshal. but the DS has new ideas: Dual screen, the stylus, and wireless multiplayer games. And most importantly:The Wi-Fi connection.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 12:39:53 PM »
...Wasn't the DS released before the PSP anyway?

SushieBoy, the wireless multiplayer thing isn't DS-only. You can play online games on a PSP, too.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 10:14:11 AM »
I really think Nintendo is making a mistake. Basically, they bragged forever that they were making a new BG, but instead came out with the Micro. On top of that, they don't even bother to market it a lot anymore. It's as if they're pushing the Game Boy aside like they're ashamed of it now. Mario Tennis Mega Super Golf Tour Advance isn't enough to save the GBA.

Hopefully, though, Nintendo will have some sort of giant comeback in '07.
every

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
I doubt that the "new gameboy" that Nintendo was talking about was the micro.  However, with no word of it during E3, I wonder if they canceled its deveolopment, or just put it in the backburner to increase the impact of the wii.  I know they aren't related systems, but the more systems a company discloses, the less of an impact each one will have.  We can still hope, therefore, that the new GB has not been abandoned.
Too many numbers...

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 11:48:32 PM »
The other day a guy who was loitering around where I work was saying that the DS was "Nintendo's wannabe PSP imitation" or something. I was quite perplexed. I asked him why it had two screens and a touch screen if that were the case. He had no useful reply.

In that situation you ask why the Game Boy came out in 1989 and why the DS came out before the PSP.

Re: Death of the Game Boy

The GBA absolutely will not die until Pokemon Pearl/Diamond comes out. Then, all bets are off.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »
Hopefully, though, Nintendo will have some sort of giant comeback in '07.
WTD are you talking about? Were you hoping for GameBoy Color games to be put on shelves in 2004? SNES games in 1999? Their "big comeback" is going to be all the great Wii games and new DS games, hopefully.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 12:42:40 AM »
There were Super Famicom games in 1999. Or at least 1998.
That was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 06:54:16 AM »
Maybe the new Game Boy, is in fact, the Super Game Girl!
No, no.

Maybe the portable SNES!

No, no, no.

I'm running out of ideas for the GB franchise.
Heck, I'm running out of names!

All Nintendo could do is create a portable Virtual Reality System!
No, no no.

That was a failure.

Hmm...

Yeah.
No more ideas.
Most Wishy-Washy

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »
Maybe the portable SNES!
That's pretty much what the GBA was. Notice all the SNES game remakes on it... and NES game remakes... many of which were previously remade on the SNES, so the SNES versions were used... I'm not trying to put anyone down or anything, the point I'm trying to make is that you all act as if Nintendo will go out of business if they stop making GB games. Something has to fall off of Nintendo to make more room for today, and currently GBA is the only candidate. GC can't fall off yet because currently it's Nintendo's only console to make games for. It's still around and it still fits in today's media-whatever, but will die soon after Wii is released.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 10:30:14 AM »
Well, I feel kind of useless, unable to add any wisdom that's not already here (mostly due to Mß).  However, I want to say that the GBA will always have a place in this world.  It's so simple and miraculously designed.  A and B buttons.  L and R buttons.  It has a screen in the middle.  You hold the Game Boy in your two hands, and it feels empowering.  You press the buttons and things happen on the screen.  Between the DS and GBA, the DS has closer interaction in the hardware-game realm, but the GBA has it beat in the player-hardware realm:  You can fumble a stylus, but those GBA buttons stay under your thumbs, let me tell you what.  Also, you have to change your gaze in order to get to the DS's second screen, but the GBA's screen is always where you're at.

Even if a DS game was made that didn't use the second screen or X/Y buttons, it still wouldn't be the same.  The GBA is, in a way, the summation of video game ideology, 1980-1995.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 11:09:13 AM »
Yeah, very true.

Okay. New theory.

You know the first Gameboy from way back then?
Most of us thought,
"Hmm... Its great, but there's nothing to improve on! The GB is dead!"
Well, Nintendo pulled something out of its sleeve, and gave us color!
"Hmm... Its great, but there's nothing to improve on! The GB is dead!"
Well, Nintendo pulled something out of its other sleeve, and gave us a larger screen, cleaned up spirties and graphics, L and R, and gave us a system that is still portable.
"Hmm...Its great, but there's nothing to improve on! The GB is dead!"
Well, Nintendo pulled something out of its hat, and gave us two screens, and interaction, with all the simplicity and compactability of the GB, and allowed us to play those games as well!

To me, the DS is like the second Generation of the Game Boy.
But the GB is still selling, so its not completely.

I guess the two systems have their own agendas.
The GB franchise is used mostly on the ride to work, school, house, and is usually played in short bursts, and is usually played outside the house, because we have bigger, better systems at home.

The DS is used mostly for longer rides, of when you need a larger game to quench your thirst for entertainment, and can be played at home, because its "funability" matches those of the GB.

So, I don't think the GB is dead.

And no, I do not know what I was posting about.
Most Wishy-Washy

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2006, 01:52:28 PM »
Hmmm...maybe the next Game Boy could have THREE screens!
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
Wouldn't that be a Nintendo TS? Nintendo Tri Screen? Anyway, I doubt that'd happen, since "Two screens are difficult to deal with" was something mentioned here earlier and countless times by narrow-minded gamers I know. I personally have no problem, it's just like a wide screen... but only wide vertically. But how would three be any better? Anyway, in regard to the PSP... If it were a lot cheaper I'd get one for the movies and music but not for the games. That's what my DS is for. The games. That's why, after much considering, I decided I would never get a Play-Yan. If I can't play my games and music at the same time, then what's the point?
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2006, 08:49:58 PM »
What? Why would you want to kill the game's music and replace it with something else?
Also, having your DS around to play music files is kind of nice. When you're not playing games.
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 09:22:10 PM »
Today I was playing Super Mario 64, and that came out like ten years ago. So it's not like THAT died.  I don't think the GBA was a failure and that it will just drift away into nothingness, because it was good while it was hot and even when more things come along that are hotter it may seem less hot, it is actually retaining the same amount of hotness it always had, but it's hot impression is only obscured by the hotter hotness of newer hot systems, like the Nintendo DS.  So the GBA won't die, it may just be less alive to some people.  Not to ME though, I'M special!

Oh, and I guess it's routine that I should again mention that I don't have a DS and you should all feel sorry for me and blah blah me me me me blah blah me blah me me blah blah selfish selfish selfish.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Print