Print

Author Topic: Nerdy internet connection question  (Read 2637 times)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
Alright, here's a question for all you geeks out there: I want to use a computer running openSUSE linux as a router of sorts to connect another computer running Windows XP. If you don't get it, I'll try to explain it another way: I have two computers, one running openSUSE, one running XP. My DSL modem is connected to computer 1, the openSUSE one. This computer has two network cards. The "leftover" NIC (a.k.a. the one not connected to the modem) is connected to the NIC of computer 2, the XP one. What I want is for the internet connection from PC 1 to work on PC 2. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »
Hey, thanks!
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »
Right. I followed all the instructions on that page, and it still won't work. The Windows computer is telling me that the network cable is unplugged, when the network cable is obviously not unplugged.What's wrong here?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »
Oh, if you're connecting directly between computers without a hub or router, you need a crossover cable rather than a standard ethernet cable.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 05:38:34 PM »
You know what? I just found that out. Big XD on my part. Anyway, here's another question. Is it possible to "emulate" a crossover? I'm not quite sure that emulate is the right word, but what I mean is are there any settings I could change on the computer to make it act like it has a crossover cable? I looked them up on Wikipedia and it said many network cards can do stuff like that.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 06:13:05 PM »
Well, network cards with router capabilities can do it automatically, but I don't know about standard cards.  Check the advanced properties under Hardware Management for your network card and see if there's an option.

Print