Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy 2  (Read 101264 times)

« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
I grow weary of seeing "PRANKSTER COMET DETECTED" whenever I enter a Galaxy I haven't gotten all the Green Stars in yet.  Yes, I know there's a Prankster Comet there, that's why I went to that Galaxy in the first place.  Also, I had kind of hoped that we'd see and hear the classic "Star get" animation and music from SM64 after beating Whomp King... still, at least they kept his dialogue the same.

Agreed 100% on both counts.

Is it that bad, Weegee?

The combination of red/blue flipping platforms and shockwave generators in the third-last area is brutal. Of last night's 42 attempts, I only cleared that section twice.

Anyone else tried out the infinite flutter jump glitchI used it to get Green Star 2 in Bowser's Galaxy Generator - I still have no idea how to get that thing legitimately.

According to the guidebook*, you're meant to get it by reserving a couple of cloud platforms from the previous section. However, I miraculously managed to snag it with a single flutter jump, followed by a sacrificial dino-ditching.

*inb4 "ONLY NOOBS USE GUIDEBOOKS" or "You do not understand the value and preciousness of an experience". I've only referred to it a few times, and how could any self-respecting Mario fan resist buying a hardcover collector's edition guide?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
I was actually wondering for a while if they expected you to perform the classic Yoshi-betrayal to reach it.  Because if they had, it would've been a great nod to the SMW fandom.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #302 on: May 27, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »
But then parents would be sending angry letters saying "you required little Johnny to kill Mario's longtime friend and helper just to progress further in the game". I'm surprised Yoshi hasn't died more in mods. Or maybe he has and I just haven't checked it out. There's a Mario mod for some version of Doom where part of it has you shooting several Yoshi enemies.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:54 PM »
Regarding that last level again, I made it through normally on my first attempt. That comet makes all the difference, brah.

« Reply #304 on: May 27, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
Done.

The reward for completion is slightly disappointing, but the accompanying sense of satisfaction made it worthwhile. That last level ultimately cost me 58 lives, by the way.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #305 on: May 27, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
Argh.

Where in the name of Mama Luigi is that blasted Green Star 3 in Clockwork Ruins!?

« Reply #306 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
Keep riding one of the giant cogs past the regular Star, and long-jump off it as it begins to fall. The Green Star is suspended high above and to the left of the void which the cogs fall into.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #307 on: May 27, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
Bah. Seems that everyone is way farther than I am. Then again, I don't get to use the Wii at all during the day.

I just got my 64th Star...in Throwback Galaxy. And that wasn't even intended.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #308 on: May 28, 2010, 02:15:39 AM »
That's where I got my 64th star too, also unplannedly.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #309 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:48 PM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #310 on: May 29, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »
First the infinite Flutter Jump, and now this.  They're slipping.

EDIT: Well, there's 100%.  That last star nearly cost me my sanity, but I finally got it (oh, and I didn't think the part with the flipping platforms and shockwaves was far and away the hardest part for me - I probably had the most deaths in the final area, as I suspected I would, but the real challenge is running through all of them back to back without checkpoints or margin for error).  And I don't think I'll be playing SMG2 for about a year or so.  It'll probably take that long for my hatred of the final level to simmer down - anyone who hasn't beaten it yet, do not underestimate that beast.

Also, was anyone else hoping that Starship Mario would attach to a giant mech body to defeat Bowser?  Because I know I was.  But all we got was a lousy admittedly epic boss battle.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:38:54 PM by Turtlekid1 »

« Reply #311 on: May 29, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
After a few days of heavy playthrough, and the loss of about 600 lives, I managed to get everything.  Boy, is that last level a beast and a half to tackle, though.  And just out of curiosity, was I the only one that had a ludicrously hard time getting that second gate in the Fleet Glide Galaxy?  Also, I particularly liked Mario Squared, though the purple coin challenge was admittedly annoying.  At least they made up for it, as the course's Green Stars were fifteen-second blitzes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 05:43:47 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #312 on: May 29, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
Was Fleet Glide's second gate the one positioned on the structure's polar opposite side? If so, then yes.

« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
Yeah, that's the one.  I guess it wasn't so much a matter of getting it as it was a matter of finding it.  I wasn't paying much attention to the Star Bit trail as I couldn't exactly grab them whilst flying, so it didn't occur to me to follow it for some time.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2010, 01:55:14 PM »
I squealed like a true nerd when I entered the Throwback Galaxy and found that the walls in star #6 of Super Mario 64 were still chipped off!  And who says that Mario games are void of continuity?

Print