Print

Author Topic: Mario Bros. clone progress  (Read 5011 times)

« on: March 20, 2002, 06:40:15 PM »
I finished pickup and throw and am now working on the enemies and items. Anyone interested in this game?
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 09:58:39 PM »
Thanks to your "link to the Past," (see "View Old Threads?"), I am. I haven't seen a decent fan-Mario-game in years. Do you still have it?

Edited by - Suffix on 2/2/2005 8:00:21 PM

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 11:05:55 AM »
Sounds interesting.  Can you give us a little more info?  Like what you intend to have and what you have already and so on?

-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
Ultimate Mario Bros. was my first(and best) ever programmed game, and I haven't worked on it in over a year. At the time, it probably looked like this:

Today, it looks a little better than this(I never took screenshots of the final version).

You can get the final version on this page. However, you will be needing a fairly decent computer to run it, and even then it caused some problems on some machines(on one of my XP machines it takes a horrendous two minutes to load). Other than that, it's a decent Mario Bros. clone, with classic Single Player, multiplayer battle with AI player support, but best of all, a single player Adventure mode consisting of 50 phases plus 10 secret ones(Cheesy storyline, I know, but I didn't really have any help making this...)

Read the readme file in the download to see how to play it. There's also sure to still be some bugs(especially in the internet play mode, that was done rather hurriedly and it's slow as heck on dial-up), but it's been so long that I wouldn't know how to fix it(it has completely uncommented code....what a nightmare).

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 03:49:55 PM »
Looks promising.  Thanks, Crashcrazed, it's much appreciated.  ^_^

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 10:21:41 PM »
Brilliant game, CashCrazed! I got up to the final boss, and he's hard! Any chance of a DK remake?

On a completely unrelated topic:

This is my 200th post here at the Fungi Forums!

''If Timmy has seven apples and Peter has five apples, why don''t they just shut up and eat?''
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:27:32 PM »
"We are currently moving our sites to a new, faster server cluster.
During this move certain file types will be unavailable, which is why you are getting this message instead of the file you asked for.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE!"

I think I played the final version before, but have a new computer now.  Is the file somewhere other than the page that gave me the message above?

Edited by - Luigison on 2/26/2005 8:35:10 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 10:56:09 PM »
Sorry, but I don't have the file anywhere else, and can't think of anywhere I still have an account that allows a 1.5MB+ filesize. It says on the main page that it'll only be a few hours, though.

As for a DK remake, I strongly doubt it. I have no interest in the old DK games whatsoever.

If you're having trouble with any bosses, I also have a tip sheet. It says how to beat them all and how fast you need to beat the last 3 to find out how to access the secret phases (I lied, there's actually 20, making a total of 70). But measurement in frames doesn't help much, so I'll give you estimates in seconds(it runs at roughly 40 fps).

Boss 1: 30s

Boss 2: 37.5s

Boss 3: 50s

Edited by - CashCrazed on 2/26/2005 9:02:14 PM

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 11:08:12 PM »
I've got a confession to make. I read the Readme, and used the Single Player 'Skip to Level' cheat that you get as a 'reward'. I feel like such a phony!

''If Timmy has seven apples and Peter has five apples, why don''t they just shut up and eat?''

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 03:05:26 PM »
Well, you still can't get into the secret phases with that. You'll need to either beat the bosses fast enough to learn how, or hack the single-byte save file with a hex editor(change the byte to whatever value you like, but some of the late levels are just ending cutscenes. It won't do any good to go above 70 though).

Another warning is that this game is quite ridden with bugs. Many. I've known of at least 5 or 10 since about version 1.30, but never got around to fixing them mainly because....well, my junior high brain really didn't know how. However, when I looked the project over again I realized I fixed a few for the non-existant V1.37 over a year ago without releasing it. Just today I've squished a few more(fixing bugs doesn't take as much understanding as adding to the game. I still know enough to do this.), and will release the TRUE final version once every single bug is gone. Nothing I catch will go free like before. I mean, look at this list. I knew about these but never fixed them.

* enemies got up really fast underwater
* kill the next to last enemy while the last is down and he'll start walking upside down
* two of every item would spawn in internet play
* items would appear behind pipes where you couldn't get them, and the AI players would circle them forever
* standing on the smallest POW block made you bounce up and down
* Spinies would often respawn walking backwards
* sometimes you would fall through floors in getting items
* sometimes you respawn right where you are killed
* you never know when you're invincible or not
* players can't be hurt while carried

It's horrible, isn't it?

If I had a dollar for every brain you don`t have, I`d have one dollar.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 2/28/2005 1:06:19 PM

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »
Y'never know. Sometimes, glitches aren't that bad. I could amuse myself for a good 4 minutes watching Mario bounce up and down on a POW block.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 08:14:01 PM »
I could spend more than that watching 4 computer Marios dance around a Hammer Bros. suit that they can't get. They do that with just about any other object too, I swear, they're like moths hitting a light bulb!

Well, I did fix that one, and the trampoline POW block one, along with others, but there's still a few left. Mainly the falling through the floors in getting items one. I also hope to improve the enemy flipping floor collision(half the time you'll knock over the enemy, half the time you won't. It's kinda like that.)

Edited by - CashCrazed on 2/28/2005 6:16:57 PM

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 11:24:07 PM »
Yeah, I found out that you can't access the secret stages. Grrr...

But anyway, I'm making a DK remake. It's based on all DK games, plus explains the disappearance of Pauline and DK Sr. However, it might clash with my Koopa Kids game-- I hope not!

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »
Just beat up the guy on stage 50 fast enough and you'll be able to. You can even hit him over and over in the air. I've killed him without touching the ground more than once.

Anyway, I hope you can at least make your game into a playable state. Half my projects never make it into a releasable form, let alone be completed. If you're using a pre-made game engine like Multimedia Studio or RPG Maker you won't have to worry about that, but I had to scrap the first engine I wrote for this game because it was just plain horrible, then write a whole new one.

I'll keep my bug progress here(and look, I found twice as many!), and when I finish fixing them all I'll put up the new game and link to it. + means it's fixed

+ enemies got up really fast underwater
+ kill the next to last enemy while the last is down and he'll start walking upside down
+ two of every item would spawn in internet play
+ items would appear behind pipes where you couldn't get them, and the AI players would circle them forever
+ standing on the smallest POW block made you bounce up and down
+ Spinies would often respawn walking backwards
* sometimes you would fall through floors in getting items
+ sometimes you respawn right where you are killed
+ you can end up with negative lives in adventure mode
+ players can't be hurt while carried
+ all the POW block colors don't work
+ jump-to-hit-platform collision is flawed
+ animation frames get screwed up easily while holding something
+ stunned players are invincible
+ unused menu options
+ some graphics are cut off at the edge
* throwing occasionally behaves odd

Edited by - CashCrazed on 3/4/2005 8:59:45 PM

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 12:42:09 AM »
Nice sig, CashCrazed...

Anyway, I've got RPG Maker, and it is the basis for most of my Gamemaking. Talk to the new member 'Ringsonic', and you'll find he has it too.

Print