Print

Author Topic: EV Training  (Read 5346 times)

« on: January 07, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I think I've asked this before, but we've just recently started playing Pokemon again. I'm afarid I don't understand how EV training works. I know it's somehow based off the nature/personality of the Poke in question, but that's really all I know. Can someone possibly dumb it down for me? I hate the phrase. Bleah!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
I play Pokemon Diamond, and wrote down some EV training stuff on paper and it works well for me. Also, if you have a Pokemon with Pokerus, which is diagnosed when you take them to the Pokemon center. Don't worry, it's a "good" virus that boosts your Pokemon's stats.
Keep it in your party so that the Pokerus can spread to the other Pokemon. Anyway, here's my EV training list:

HP gain: Earn 2 EV points from Gastrodon, Shellos or Wobuffet.
Attack gain: Earn 2 EV points from Bibarel and Machoke (in caves).
Defense gain: Earn 2 EV points from Graveler, Steelix, Castcoon or Silicoon.
Sp. Atk gain: Earn 2 EV points from Haunter, 3 EV points from Gengar at the Old Chateau with Leafgreen in GBA slot.
Sp Def gain: Earn 2 EV points from Mr.Mime and Clefa (found in Mt.Coronet).
Speed gain: Earn 2 EV points from Staravia, Goldbat or Floatzel.

Also, it's best to have some Rare Candy with you to test if there are any stats changes/boost in the next level-up. Save your progress BEFORE you give your Pokemon a Rare Candy. If there are no changes in the level-up (like for example, the attack stat goes up by 1 and not 2 or 3) press and hold L+R+Start+Select to reset the game and try again. You will have to battle 4 (or more) of the same wild pokemon listed above so that you can earn 2 EV points. Sometime, you'll only get 1 EV point from wild Pokemon not listed here. If my method doesn't help, then try here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/48969
Hopefully, this will answer all of your questions. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:03:52 PM by FlamingBlueMardio »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »
I only have one Rare Candy, sadly. It's the only one I've found. Anway, how do I figure out a Pokemon's EV's? I know it's based off of their nature/personality.

I don't have my game on me now, but let's say I have one that's Adamant nature and likes to scatter things. What kind of EV's does that make/need?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
but let's say I have one that's Adamant nature and likes to scatter things. What kind of EV's does that make/need?
I don't think their nature or personality effects the amount of EVs they get. If your Pokemon has an adamant nature it means that it's attack power will grow more, but it's Sp.Attack will have a hard time catching up. And if it likes to scatter things that means that it'll have good HP growth. One Rare Candy is all you'll need. You're using it to check the Pokemon's stats after you've defeated 4 of the same Pokemon. Not to use it to actually level-up. The EVs (Effort Values) are not visible to the player. Meaning you won't find them on the screen anywhere. Also, to battle the same Pokemon in the field, use the Poke Radar. Pokemon Trainers also carry EV's in their Pokemon. Just use the VS Seeker to find a "CPU" Pokemon Trainer. I really advise you took look at the link I posted here. That guy is a pro at EV training. I'm still getting the hang of it myself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:44:35 PM by FlamingBlueMardio »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:40:33 PM »
Ok. I will, after work. Thank you.

If anybody else has any advice, feel free. :)

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »
Yep, the information posted by FlamingBlueMario is more or less correct.

Some things to note, you don't have to have a rare candy, or level your pokemon at all. The only stipulation there is that your pokemon cannot be level 100, since you only gain EVs when your pokemon gains EXP.

But, instead of me posting all of the information over, you should just take a quick glance over this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/48969

It explains the basics and includes a list of places to go to grind EVs. Once you get how it works, it's really not difficult at all. The worst aspect of it, in my opinion, is having to manually keep track of the EVs you've gained.

If you have any specific questions about it after reading the FAQ, feel free to ask.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:01 PM »
Eh? I thought EVs would always come (unless they're maxed out) but being level 100 means you can't get the resulting boost of stat gains upon a level-up. Since, well, there are no more level-ups to be had.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
I was under the same assumption until I read through that FAQ before posting it. I guess I can't vouch for the validity of that particular nuance, but it's a minor point either way. Regardless of the specifics behind it, EV training must be done before your Pokemon reaches level 100.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
Regardless of the specifics behind it, EV training must be done before your Pokemon reaches level 100.

Yes, and it's really cool to see your pokemon get +100 or so in some stats when you didn't EV train it at all until level 99.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:04:40 AM »
My Mewtwo got +21 Sp. Attack at level 71 when I maxed out his Sp. Attack EVs.  I've never done all the EVs at level 99 though, lest I not get enough to max them out.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print