Print

Author Topic: Dodgeing Final Smashes?  (Read 8611 times)

megamush

• Infinite member error
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
Is it possible to make a final smash not affect you, if possible post how to protect yourself from each character's final smash.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:10:55 PM by megamush »
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:53 AM »
hoe to protect yourself from each character's final smash.
*Insert image of megamush fighting off a Landmaster tank with gardening tools*
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
*Laughs and then thinks about it*

It depends on what final smash it is. I don't really think your shield can stand up to any of them (may be I'm missing some here), but there are several you can run away from (ex: Landmaster, Warioman, Super Sonic).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:45:30 AM »
Trick is to make the guy miss you when he attacks (stuff like Great Aether, the Blue Falcon, Link and Zelda's light arrows).
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
Note: This post has clear character spoilers.

Fox/Falco/Wolf: With the Landmaster, you need to keep close to the ground. You could get on top of it, and when it starts to fly, jump off and roll to get behind it.

Luigi: Run towards other people, but keep away from that crazy guy. If he creates a Negative Zone, you could charge up a smash at its boundary, and then strike him as he runs about inside, distracted.

Mario: Strike from above and behind.

King Dedede: Take to the skies! Or the highest platforms, if possible.

Ganondorf: Like Chupperson mentioned, stay out of his range by being on a different vertical area.

R.O.B.: If you can't get the Smash Ball out of him before he lights up, just run away.

Meta Knight: Move at him, move back. Essentially, fake attacks so that his B-pressing finger gets itchy.

Ness/Lucas: Get to the lowest point of the stage and roll!

Pikachu: Roll and run in unpredictable patterns, but stay away from the top of the stage.

That's all for now, tykes.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
Since there are so many Final Smashes, I'm going to make a table of them and how to avoid.

Final SmashCharacterHow to avoid
Mario FinaleMarioDon't get caught between the fireballs. The fireballs can be dodged but not shielded.
Konga BeatDonkey KongStay far enough away from DK's sound waves. Hits timed to the music have a much longer reach, so watch out for them.
Triforce SlashLink, Toon LinkDon't let Link/Toon Link hit you with this move's initial beam of light.
Zero LaserSamusDon't get hit by the laser. Can be shielded and dodged; however, this attack's duration makes this ineffective. The suit pieces left behind can be shielded, dodged, and caught like any regular item.
Power Suit SamusZero Suit SamusAvoid the initial burst of energy, as it will draw you in to Samus. Dodging is possible.
Cook KirbyKirbyStay far away from Kirby when he bangs the frying pan. The sucking diamater is about the length of Final Destination.
LandmasterFox, Falco, WolfDon't ride the Landmaster. Don't get crushed by the Landmaster. Don't get shot by the Landmaster.
Volt TacklePikachuJust run. This attack cannot be effectively shielded or dodged.
Critical HitMarthAvoid Marth's initial rush. It hits through shields and is undodgeable.
OctopusMr. Game & WatchStay away from the octopus. You can dodge around it if need be.
Negative ZoneLuigiDon't go into the Negative Zone. If caught, leaving is difficult due to the nature of the attack.
Rocketbarrel BarrageDiddy KongAside from running, this can be dodged and shielded like any normal attack.
Light ArrowZelda, SheikJump.
Palutena's ArmyPitThe Centurions can be dodged and shielded. Pit is allowed to move while the Centurions attack, so beware of him in the ensuing chaos.
Galaxia DarknessMeta KightDon't get hit (or for that matter, don't let anyone else get hit) by Meta Knight's initial cape sweep. The cape breaks through shields and dodges.
Triple FinishPokémon TrainerIvysaur's SolarBeam will trap you in the attack. Hydro Pump and Fire Blast can be dodged and shielded, but be careful not to air dodge into SolarBeam.
Great AetherIkeDon't get hit by the initial burst of fire Ike swings from his sword. This fire can be shielded and dodged.
Grenade LauncherSnakeSnake's grenades take a moment to reach you from wherever he's firing, so use this delay to run. The grenade explosions can be dodged but not shielded.
Peach BlossomPeachStay away from Peach when she executes this attack. Remaining airborne appears to prevent sleep.
Super DragonYoshiYoshi's fireballs are undodgeable and unshieldable. Yoshi himself, however, is.
Beast GanonGanondorfBeast Ganon's initial roar will paralyze you if close enough. Undodgeable and unshieldable, but can be avoided by jumping above him.
IcebergIce ClimbersAvoid the coldness raidiating off the iceberg. Standing on it too long can freeze you.
Waddle Dee ArmyKing DededeAvoid the Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos, and Gordos. Jumping is good, since they run very quickly on land.
Aura StormLucarioThis move cannot be shielded and is difficult to dodge through due to its size and entrapping power. Stay to the left or right of the beam.
PK StarstormNess, LucasEach star can be dodged but not shielded. Be careful not to doge into another star.
Super SonicSonicSuper Sonic can be dodged but not shielded. Pray that the person using him has a hard time controlling this Final Smash.
Giga Bowser TransformationBowserGiga Bowser can be dodged, shielded, and reflected just like in Melee. Good luck avoiding him.
Wario-ManWarioJust like with Giga Bowser, Wario-Man's attacks can be shielded and dodged. Unlike Giga Bowser, Wario-Man didn't appear in Melee.
Diffusion BeamR.O.B.The Diffusion Beam is unreflectable and unshieldable, but can be dodged. Take care when didging since the beam will trap you.
End of DayOlimarOlimar's ship can be avoided by dodging. Escape from the Bulborbs is possible by jumping high enough, though this is only really possible for characters with multiple midair jumps.
Blue FalconCaptain FalconThe Blue Falcon can be dodged when Captain Falcon tries to hit you with it. Even though it swings out slightly in front of him, you can't avoid it by standing directly next to him.
Puff UpJigglypuffTry to stay away from Jigglypuff (she'll make this easy for you). Don't touch her, however, when she yells at the end of this attack.

I wrote and tested this all myself, so tell me any mistakes you may find. It took me three hours.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:33:02 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »
You know what I want to see? Giant Jigglypuff doing Puff Up and then getting a Mega Mushroom.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:58:38 PM »
I'm pretty sure Peach Blossom will make airborne enemies fall asleep. I don't exactly know who wakes up first or why, though.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
Scrolling through Max's detailed post and recalling LD's earlier comment I am once again reminded of my Smash Bros, n00bness.  I don't even know how to do final smashes with a GCN controller. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
Press B.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:29:08 PM »
You know what I want to see? Giant Jigglypuff doing Puff Up and then getting a Mega Mushroom.

MEGA Brawl, Super Mushroom, Puff Up.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
^ *Starts playing "Also Sprach Zarathustra"*

I don't even know how to do final smashes with a GCN controller.
...How do you do it on the Wii Remote?

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »
Jiggly puff's final smash is evil on the mushroomy stage.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 06:33:54 PM »
Actually, you know what I find interesting?

Well, I was Toon Link and I did my final smash on my sister (who was Zelda). It worked for like a second, but she like dodged somehow and it canceled. And yes, I actually did see the  Triforce thing and it did connect with her.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
Wow, if anyone can recreate this, then it could be bad news for Link.

Print