Print

Author Topic: No more magic?  (Read 1749 times)

« on: March 29, 2003, 07:41:33 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that the Mario games have slowly been making a transition from "magical" to "technilogical"?  I mean look at the first games, they had castles and magic-koopas(sp?) and magic wands and everything.  But in the new games they have the Poltergust3000 and F.L.U.D.D and planes.  Not that I'm complaining, but do you think that one day they'll forget about the magical aspect of the Mario universe completely?
-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 08:21:54 PM »
Magikoopas.

Anyway, ghosts seem pretty magic to me, and there was plenty of magic stuff in Paper Mario, and I don't know. I think it's really been fairly even all through the series.

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 02:31:24 PM »
I think it just seems less magical because everybody's gotten used to it.  I mean, Super Mario 64 is just as magical (power stars) as SMB3 (Tanooki Suit and others).  Nothing's really happened!
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 11:35:41 AM »
I dunno.  I kinda like having both the Magical and Technological aspects to the Mario universe. It makes it able to relate to the real world more (kind of), and yet still give the very magical aura about it.

The technological aspect goes to show they're not living in Medieval times (like with the castles and magicians and everything), and their society is very advanced, like ours.

Still, ya gotta love all the magic.

The 1964th person

Edited by - Sapphira on 4/2/2003 9:38:25 AM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 11:44:58 AM »
Oh, and plus:
Yeah, SMS did have the FLUDD, but still FLUDD had a personality (something robots don't have) and there were the Shine Sprites--little magical creatures that gave power and sunlight to Isle Delfino.

If that's not magic, I don't know ehat is.

The 1964th person
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Print