Print

Author Topic: If you had to get rid of one major Mario character...  (Read 7104 times)

« on: May 21, 2011, 06:39:38 AM »
I generally refer to them as the Big Eight, the eight mainstays of the series (especially the Mario Kart games) who seem to keep popping up.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Wario, DK, Yoshi.

Let's just say that Nintendo have elected to chop out one of the characters from the Mario games, and they can never return. No adventures, no spinoffs, no Geno-like token cameos in mini-games, nothing. My question to you is... who would you pick?

For mine, I'd get rid of DK. He probably adds the least to the series storywise and tbh I hate his new voice with a fiery passion.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 07:08:19 AM »
DK.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
No DK in just the Mario games? Then yeah, sure.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
I'd get rid of Peach. For the same reasons y'all would get rid of Donkey Kong. She adds to the story and that's about it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
Donkey Kong now has his own universe with its own characters and mythos. In recent years, he has only shared the spotlight with Mario in spinoff titles and a certain overrated platformer/puzzle series, so little of value would be lost.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:37:54 AM »
I'd get rid of Peach. For the same reasons y'all would get rid of Donkey Kong. She adds to the story and that's about it.
But Peach is the story.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:12:29 AM »
Pretty sure they could make a great story without her. Luigi's Mansion anyone?

EDIT: I take that back. Peach was indispensable in Super Paper Mario. They need to start utilizing her like that.

So I guess I'd get rid of Donkey Kong because he's got his own thing and he's awesome at it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:15:10 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:22:49 PM »
To help aid in your decisions:

"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
Mario

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL GOTCHA
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
"Mario Without Mario": A Post-Existentialist Masterpiece for the 21st Century.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
DK. I don't dislike him, but the series would be ok without him. The Mario VS DK series is decent, but if they were to hypothetically not use one of the characters ever again, then DK. It would give them a chance to remake/recreate another character in the big 8. One who has yet to have his own starring role (a successful one, anyway..) I refer of course to Toad.

His one starring role is quickly forgotten. All the other characters are reimagined all the time, but Toad hasn't had a game to himself since Wario's Woods. He's had lots of playable spinoff roles pretty recently, but.. where's my Super Toad?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
Mario. He has little characterization, and while we know he's an upstanding, determined, and brave individual, we see no flaws or growth. I guess I would say don't remove him, but make him whole.

Then toad, because I dislike the voice he's gotten in recent years, the simultaneously squeeky and gravelly.   
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »
Donkey Kong was never a Mario character in the first place, at least not his DKC-incarnation. I always figured he and the other Kongs were there as guest characters (which in turn makes me want the WarioWare cast playable in another sports game or Mario Kart).

I'd get rid of Luigi, just for the insane fangirl reaction. >:J

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:38:35 AM »
I'd say DK because everything would be fine without him. He's more of a guest than anything (for the most part).
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Well, if it had to be someone on the list, it would probably be DK, with Wario the runner up.

If it was any major Mario character at all, definitely, definitely, definitely Bowser Jr.

Print