Print

Author Topic: uh-oh! Marios getting high again.  (Read 4417 times)

« on: June 29, 2000, 06:51:45 PM »
Awhile ago me and my two older brothers were talking about Mario (22 and 24 years old). They started joking about how the game was about doing drugs because mario got a "magic" mushroom and grew (in reall life you can smoke a type of mushroom) and you get the fire flow to throw fire balls. If you think about it, the mushroom idea was ripped off from alice in wonderland (for real!). And the guy who wrote alice in wonderland was on drugs when he wrote the book. So I guess you could say it's about drugs!

Doomba, King of the Goombas
Doomba, King of the Goombas

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2000, 08:33:14 PM »
Wasn't this a 'special' at Nintendo Land?
-_-()()()()()()()

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2000, 08:28:36 PM »
Actually, I asked had a post a while back which asked if any Mario elements came from Japanese folklore, and someone said that in Japanese culture mushrooms are known for bringing people to new dimensions (like Mario into the Mushroom Kingdom).  This comes from how people would trip out when they took the shrooms and think they were in another world.  Cool, huh?
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2000, 10:01:29 AM »
I think so yeah

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2000, 10:33:21 AM »
Actually, Charles L. Dodgson (better known by his pen name "Lewis Carroll") did not take druds while writing "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," that is a stoner-age myth.  The Cateripillar's magic mushroom was lifted from Celtic mythology.  A lot of mythologies give fungi magical properties, actually.  
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2000, 12:08:40 PM »
Actually, I have a good friend who did an extensive research paper on Lewis Carrol, and according to her research he did experiment with several drugs while he wrote...

<Hinopio does not condone or approve of the preparation, use, or storage of illegal drugs of any kind, or the use of legal drugs in illegal fashions.>
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2000, 10:32:23 AM »
I guess nobody knows for sure.

Harold: That's not true.  You're ly-ing!

Red: Well, as Abraham Lincoln said, history as we know it is full of truths and half-truths that are as one.

Harold: He never said that.  You're lying again!
Mega 2

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2000, 01:08:11 PM »
OF COURSE!! Finally somebody notices!  Leaves that turn you into raccoons?  Plants that are in pipes and breath fire? MARIJUANA!  Its all about drugs.  Fire flowers are opium.  The fuzzies from SMW2 are definately some form of hallucinagins.  WAKE UP PEOPLE!

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2000, 01:35:48 PM »
OK, the Tanuki/tanooki leaf is DEFINITELY from Japanese mythology, the mushroom thing, if you ask me, is probably at least partially inspired from mythology, and I don't see the connection with the Piranha plants.  I really doubt there are any direct drug references in "Mario" games.  
Mega 2

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2000, 01:36:11 PM »
OK, the Tanuki/tanooki leaf is DEFINITELY from Japanese mythology, the mushroom thing, if you ask me, is probably at least partially inspired from mythology, and I don't see the connection with the Piranha plants.  I really doubt there are any direct drug references in "Mario" games.  
Mega 2

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2000, 01:37:40 PM »

PS-The website's not working right.  I keep hitting "reply to topic" and it gives me "error," so you might get multiple copies of this message.
Mega 2

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2000, 01:38:11 PM »

PS-The website's not working right.  I keep hitting "reply to topic" and it gives me "error," so you might get multiple copies of this message.
Mega 2

Print