Poll

Which GP do you like better- Nitro, or Retro?

Nitro all the way!
5 (20.8%)
Go, go, Retro!
3 (12.5%)
I like both!
9 (37.5%)
Neither! They both stink!
0 (0%)
Don't have MKDS, sorry.
3 (12.5%)
Nitro, but it could be better.
0 (0%)
Retro, but they left a little too much out.
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Print

Author Topic: MKDS: Nitro or Retro? *Spoilers*  (Read 8140 times)

« on: December 27, 2005, 02:07:16 AM »
Mario Kart DS is in my opinion the best Mario Kart so far, with a total of 32 tracks! Stunning graphics, infinite replay value and a wide cast of characters put it at the top. However, there's one question that's been in my mind for ages- which is better, Nitro GP, or Retro GP?

Nitro GP may have new and interesting courses, but Retro GP puts a new spin on familar faces. You can also say you like both, or neither, or that you like one better but it could be better.

Post your opinions here!
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 02:21:19 AM »
I voted both. Nintendo evidently worked hard to make Nitro GP; Waluigi Pinball is far beyond expectations. I liked the music for DK Pass, it's bouncy and sounds... Irish, somehow. The huge jumps in Wario Stadium are great fun. The Rainbow Road for this one added something that Mario Kart's been in need of for a while: Loop-de-loops.

Retro Grand Prix is still good. The fog and falling Cocoa Puffs in Choco Mountain are still there, so are the Mario & Yoshi snowmen in Frappe Snowland. They got rid of the shortcut over the bridge and the Mushroom/Bob-Omb cars in Mushroom Bridge and behind the Chain Chomp in Luigi Circuit (GC), but the Rank A mansion from Luigi's Mansion is still in the background from MKDD. The SNES and GBA tracks must have been easy to reproduce, being simple and flat, but to see the MK64 and MKDD courses in such good shape on the DS is very impressive.
Plus, the old in-game music is relatively untouched; but there is one note in Sky Garden that was given a "pull" if anyone else noticed, and I like it. And one more thing: Those yellow bars are now ramps! The bars that had dash panels in front are dash-panel-ramps. It helps make the game more 3D and maybe more realistic, as I don't really know of anyone who uses yellow bars to jump.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 09:22:06 AM »
One thing I liked about the Retro is that you can't run over the pipes in Mario circuit 1 with a star unlike in SMK.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:02:27 PM »
I liked both, but Retro lacked at least one of the old Rainbow Roads, but the new Rainbow Road was way too awsome, Waluigi Pinball is awsome as well, I loved those pinbally sounds.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:18:39 PM »
Meh... I voted Nitro. I really enjoy all the new tracks... even though I only played the N64 and GBA versions previously. Since I'm not familiar with the SNES or GCN versions, some of the retro tracks were new to me, the most fun ones being Luigi Circuit GCN and Baby Park. Nirto feeds me with a bunch of new things, each having its own quirk, although Figure-8 is pretty boring, especially online when I have to snake in order to keep up with the other snakers on that course. I love Yoshi Falls and Luigi Mansion because i know exactly how to race them and which shortcuts are the best. Then there are the obnoxious Nitro courses, like Cheep Cheep Beach and (don't hurt me) Waluigi Pinball, the overly fun ones such as Airship Fortress, Shroom Bridge and Peach Gardens, and the remakes like Wario Stadium, Bowser Castle and Rainbow Road. Still, I think the retro courses are much harder than the nitro. Well that's enough blabbing from me, there's my opinion for you.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 02:30:46 PM »
I bet Deert Hills and Airship Fortress made Yoshi55 happy, since they were based on SMB3. Too bad the Rocky Wrenches don't actually throw wrenches... I wish they'd put Mushroom City in too, it was the only road-based track in any Mario Kart gam with a way for the cars to get on or off the road. Shroom Ridge would've been pretty realistic if there was a way out.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 02:32:41 PM »
But then again, Mario isn't supposed to be realistic. :P

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 02:34:58 PM »
Shroom Ridge does have an off-road shortcut... X_x

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »
It does? I never found it I guess... unless it requires a mushroom, then I know what you're talking about. But if it is, that part wasn't ment to be a shortcut.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 02:39:02 PM »
I don't think it needs a mushroom, I only used it once because I saw it during a race and was like "woah, that looks like a shortcut"... i can't remember if i used a mushroom or not, i don't think i did.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 03:36:47 PM »
Nitro's harder in 50 and 100CC, but I almost destroyed my DS trying to complete 150CC Leaf Cup. Which I did with 38 pts. :)
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 04:19:47 PM »
Retro, because it reminds me of the old days.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 04:41:13 PM »
Nitro's harder in 50 and 100CC, but I almost destroyed my DS trying to complete 150CC Leaf Cup. Which I did with 38 pts. :)

I have 40 points on eveything!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 04:59:16 PM »
I had a lot of trouble on 150cc, Flower Cup. Then the rest of the game was a breeze.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 10:39:15 PM »
Retro, because my beloved Sky Garden makes a triumphant return. But Rainbow Cup owns them both.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print