Print

Author Topic: What happened to Super Mario 128?  (Read 10631 times)

« on: June 19, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
What happened to Super Mario 128? You now, the big game that was going to blow us all away.
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 11:19:55 AM »
Isn't it Super Mario Galaxy?
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 11:21:26 AM »
I have no idea.
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 11:30:58 AM »
From Wikipedia's article on Super Mario 128:

Quote from: Wikipedia
In the July 2006 issue of GamesMaster, a short interview with Miyamoto at E3 2006 reveals that Super Mario Galaxy is not necessarily Super Mario 128.
GAMESMASTER: What inspired Super Mario Galaxy and what does it mean for Mario 128?
MIYAMOTO: Well, Mario 128 was a collection of different experiments. Super Mario Galaxy takes a lot of the experiments from Mario 128 and implements them in the game. Because of that it's partly 128 but there are also elements that existed in Mario 128. I don't know when we'll be able to bring those out.

What Miyamoto says here seems to explain that Mario 128 is not a game as such, but more like a project with which Miyamoto developed new innovations which Mario could use in his later games. This appears to leave us with the conclusion that we may never see Super Mario 128 in its finished form, but instead see Mario games in the future containing the concepts which were developed within the project, the first of these apparently being Galaxy.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 01:06:42 PM »
I would like to see a game with 128 Marios and 1 Luigi in the masses.  That way we can continue to hate Luigi like Nintendo has done in the past and is doing now.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »
Nintendo doesn't hate him. His 'unpopularity' is part of his charm. It's one of the things that makes everyone like him. We don't want another abused character like Shadow the Hedgehog, do we?

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:15:29 PM »
I remember a while back they said it was just a way to show off the capabilities of the Gamecube.
"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"I obstruct"

fuzzy

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »
Nintendo doesn't hate him. His 'unpopularity' is part of his charm. It's one of the things that makes everyone like him. We don't want another abused character like Shadow the Hedgehog, do we?

No, I just want to see a tad more of Luigi, but I still want him to be unpopular in the games.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."--Woodrow Wilson

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 03:58:40 PM »
From Wikipedia's article on Super Mario 128:

According to some websites (and people), Super Mario 128's name was changed to Super Mario Galaxy at least a week before E3 started. I think so...

Also... Luigi wouldn't be Luigi if he was popular. Luigi would be a Mario if he was seen more... then Luigi would replace Mario and Mario would be... Luigi? I'm getting confused.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 04:11:41 PM »
you make no sense at all, long name.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »
He's saying that if Luigi were seen more, there wouldn't be a point to having a Luigi.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 06:32:19 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,I don't get it.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »
Okay. Let's put it this way.

Luigi has pretty much always been in Mario's shadow (give or take a game or two). That's how things should be. If Luigi were to become very popular, he really wouldn't be a Luigi anymore. I kinda guess Luigi was meant to be in the shadows a bit.

That probably didn't help at all.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 06:39:41 PM »
oh, I get it now,luigi was meant to stay in the shadows,thanks,ludwig.

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 06:40:39 PM »
Or, that's at least how I take it.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Print