Print

Author Topic: Video Games Won  (Read 3786 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
That's-a so nice
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
He said the ban was intended to permit parents "to direct the upbringing of their children"

I thought first off that the ESRB ratings (or whatever they're called now) were for assistance with that. Secondly, it is the parents' responsibility to raise the child, not the government.

I would not think for a second that I wanted or needed someone else to take care of my daughter. I currently have control over what she is subjected to, and though that's going to change in a few years (she'll do that 'growing up' thing) I can still offer her guidance. Sometimes parents need guidance too, but hopefully they have enough sense to watch what their children are exposed to (though that sadly is often not the case).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:21:33 PM »
It's idiotic to pretend like violence doesn't exist. Sooner or later the little ****ers are going to learn about it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »
The one thing I just don't understand is what the people promoting this bill thought the ESRB was for.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
Well, to be fair the ESRB is really rather stupid sometimes.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
Funny how the government doesn't even think of the simple fact that violence has been around forever and is actually a part of life... it took well over 20 years to convince them...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:55:44 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:27:58 PM »
For those who don't get it: the point of the bill would have been to make it easier for parents to not be parents by overriding the ESRB's system with a mandatory government-run system and making it outright illegal to sell video games deemed "overly violent" to minors. In the process this would have effectively censored much of the industry; most games currently rated M, and even some games rated T, would have become 18+-only, which would most likely have lead to stores ceasing to stock them (as is the case now with games with the existing AO rating).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
For not turning every store in America into a Toys R Us, I thank common sense.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print