Print

Author Topic: Good Ol' Days...  (Read 9419 times)

« on: November 24, 2000, 07:17:49 AM »
I'd say it was about right before PKMN(I don't hate PKMN).

Then again, I wasn't around for Mario's REAL golden age in the early 90's...
(I was born in 1988)

~teehee~
~teehee~

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2000, 11:52:50 AM »
YUP...
Before pokemon Mario was known any and everywhere. They had floats, and boats(ok so maybe not boats) I have seen a Float though.

(insert another dumb Boshi joke here)
 (insert another dumb Boshi joke here)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2000, 07:21:37 PM »
Hmmm.  Seems I was born so that I could be JUUUUUUST ready when the PKMN craze swept over...
But I'm a Mario cult fan still.

~Everyone goes "HUH?!"~

I don't get it either.

~teehee~
~teehee~

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2000, 08:03:17 PM »
true!true!im gonna change my name to wariovswario!just to be cool.we oldtimers better stick together!(meaning boshi,me,Golem,and mog007!)

its really matt!
its really matt!

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2000, 08:03:38 PM »
true!true!im gonna change my name to wariovswario!just to be cool.we oldtimers better stick together!(meaning boshi,me,Golem,and mog007!)

its really matt!
its really matt!

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2000, 09:37:45 AM »
I think that gaming was at its best in the days before 3D.  I'm talking mid 80's to very early 90's (91, maybe 92), when the NES was at its prime and the Genesis and SNES were just coming around.  Before all this graphical eye-candy and millions of polygons and vector technology, game designers actually had to rely on a good plot.

Pokemon hasn't ruined gaming, it's just another fad.  There have been many fads in the past, nationwide crazes that sweep millions of unsuspecting citizens into their sway.  (Pogs, yo-yos, and the recent scooters are a few the kiddies might be familiar with)
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2000, 10:55:28 AM »
I agree with Hinopio, from the release of "Super Mario Bros. 3" to "Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins" was the golden age of "Mario."

Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project
Mega 2

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2000, 04:50:52 PM »
Yeah!  Before 3D!

I know that 3D games do have there fun points, and one could possibly (on a long shot) consider them "revolutionary," but they're just not the same.  No 3D platform game can hold the same fun and challange as the 2D type (all the "golden age" games.)

With a true game you run through it, finish all the levels, get a "perfect" or such, and think "Wow!  That was a fun game!  I can't wait to go through it again!"

With most 3D platforms, however, it's more like "Wow.  That was fun...  I wonder when the sequel's coming out?"

Think about it:  if game developers were to move away from the whole "3D is better" mindset just for a moment, they would be able to see what else could be done.  Instead of investing time and proccessing power on fancy textures and millions of polygons, new games could be 2-dimensional (in classic style, maybe enhanced to a limit) with maybe some nice effects.  But much bigger.

I'm sure I can find many gamers who think that many of these new games just didn't last very long.  Not only the actual run-through, but especially in replay value.  If the space used for the 3D world was instead used to make more of a 2D style game, it could be huge!

That's all I have to say right now, but take your favorite classic game, make it much longer, and think about it...
Go Moon!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2000, 09:55:02 AM »
did yall know that nintendo was the first game system?and then when they introduced it,sega then made the sega saturn,(eww)and then when nintendo introduced 3d on the super nintendo,sega made genesis(eww),that had some 3d just like the snes,and when they made this 3d game on nintendo,they introduced playstation!and when sega heard about playstation2 coming out in october,sega hurried and made the (eww) sega dreamcast.so really playstation and sega skipped straight on to 3d after a 3d snes,playstation and sega skipped to 3d.not hiding the fact that their copying!then playstation got down a little bit and went on their own.so playstation is ok!im still worried about sega though.they copied xenogears which is their weird thing called grandia.

its really matt!
its really matt!

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2000, 11:27:22 AM »
Holy cow man, are you serious?  You honestly think that the NES was the first game box?  There were many other 'home consoles' years before the NES.  They came about in the 70's, and I have never played them.  They were dedicated machines, meaning that they were programmed to play a certain game or two.  There were also several programmable machines out back then, too.  The Nintendo and Sega companies only relatively recently joined the fray.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2000, 12:47:05 AM »
I think it was mid 80's when the mario show was on with the two actors plyaing mario brother would introduce the Zelda or Mario cartoon. ( you fellow old timers know what I'm talking about ). That was Marios time at least. Not a day went by when i didn't think about mario or play mario with my friends I was about 5 or 6, the good old days, what I wouldn;t give to go back to that time for a little while *sigh*. Then there came the age of Sega Genises ( excuse my spelling ) and super nintendo wich changed the world of video games forever. Before then nintendo was video games, but sence sega came into the picture there has been chao's. I dream of a perfect world were nintendo, sega , and sony would join together to form the perfect system. No more buying two or three differant systems. Well this ends my long opinion, thanks for the attention span to read it :)

"PARATROOPA'S, ATTACK"
"PARATROOPA''S, ATTACK"

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2000, 10:55:44 AM »
I agree with all of you... I love the old Mario games (Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario World...etc.) WAY better than the new ones (Super Smash Bros. Mario Party 1 and 2...etc.) I wish that Nintendo would try to make more 2D games instead of wasting their time with these new 3D ones...

In other words: Nintendo needs to bring back the good ol' 2D games...

Hey! I just had a GREAT idea! What if some of us fans wrote Nintendo and complained about their new 3D game-fad...? We could demand more new and "classic" 2D games for the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color!

Mario Maniac!!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2000, 07:01:01 PM »
To be honest, I doubt that there is much of a consumer base for 'classic' style 2D games.  For every classic Mario fan out there, there are five dozen 8-year-olds salivaing for Mario Party 17 or whatever.  The kiddies are growing up expecting nothing less than top notch eye candy, and that will undoubtedly affect the future of games.  After all, they make games that they think will sell...

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2000, 07:17:17 PM »
I don't think 3-D is inherently bad, Nintendo just hasn't made any great 3-D "Mario" games yet.  Nintendo could (and hopefully will) create a tremendous "Mario" adventure game in 3-D, just right now they're fooling around with their 'new orthodoxies' and not considering the introduction of classic-style "Mario" to a 3-D platform.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2000, 08:56:16 PM »
YES!

The N.M. Comics Team: Nicolas, N.M., Daffy, Yoshi64, Smash Troopa.

The Message Board: http://pub26.ezboard.com/bnmcomics
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

Print