Poll

Which of these is your favorite kind of tape?

Scotch
Masking
Electrical
Duct
Double-sided
Packing
Measuring
Bubble
Magnetic
Print

Author Topic: Tape Type  (Read 10341 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »
I have fond memories of experimenting with circuits, and hence, electrical tape when I was a child. Those were the days... when I didn't have to worry about worrying about trying to actually attempt to understand Calculus III.

Sqrt2

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 04:16:24 AM »
This is probably the most random thread I've ever seen posted, on the whole of the internet.
AA fanboy and proud!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »
(post)

I will throw you off a building.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »
This is probably the most random thread I've ever seen posted, on the whole of the internet.

How far across the internet have you been?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 06:11:56 PM »
On the contrary, a lot of thought went into the creation of this thread. I was noticing that pretty much all the active threads sucked and wanted to test my theory that people overthink threads when they make them. Why not a simple thread about something we can all relate to?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 06:17:53 PM »
Well, either way, just because something's random doesn't mean a lot of thought didn't go into it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
It's like when I posted that poll about toilet paper way back then.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 07:02:32 PM »
Well, either way, just because something's random doesn't mean a lot of thought didn't go into it.

What do you think the word random means because I have no idea how what you're saying could make sense
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
Quote from: David Morgan-Mar
Well now, here we get to the gist of the situation. If most people call it irony, and understand what you mean when you call it irony, isn't that good enough? Is English based on how words were defined and used hundreds of years ago, or how most people use the words now?

I think it's a mixture of both. English clearly changes over time; the meanings of words evolve as people adapt them to new uses. You can't fight it and expect to win. Society will wash over you like the tide over King Canute. But you also need agreed meanings of most of the words in the language in order to form a basis for that variation; you need words with accepted definitions inherited from the past.

Is "irony" one of the words we should all agree on as having the definition it had centuries ago, or is it one of the words that has been adapted to modern situations and usage, so that it has effectively absorbed a new meaning? My feeling is that if some people keep getting annoyed because everyone around them keeps using a word in the "wrong" way, then they've already lost the battle. I'm not saying if that's a good or a bad thing, just that continuing to get annoyed over it is a waste of time, because the only thing that's going to happen is that it'll become more and more common.

Rather than get more curmudgeonly as I get older, I get more relaxed about things like this that used to annoy me. My pet peeve for a long time was "organic" used to describe food produced without "chemicals" (there's another good one). All food is organic! I used to cry, It's made of carbon compounds! But you know what? When people describe food as "organic", they know what they mean and, despite any indications to the contrary, I know what they mean. So what's the problem here? So I decided not to worry about it any more.

And you know what? I'm a lot happier and more relaxed. Ironic, huh?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
But the problem is, what do you MEAN when you say "that was ironic?" Don't know, do you? It's like "lol" and it doesn't mean anything anymore.
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
Irony is too advanced a concept for most people to comprehend in the first place. They shouldn't be using the word.
That was a joke.

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 01:43:43 AM »
Ironically, when something is random it means that absolutely no thought went into it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 02:21:41 AM »
Which is essentially an impossibility.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »
Alright, nevermind, I promise not to wax philosophical again.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »
Duct tape has extended the life of many a highschool backpack. I wish they'd stop forcing us to get clear or mesh backpacks. The old backpacks were much more durable. I've had my old Scooby-Doo backpack since the fifth grade and it only started tearing up in the last year or so, despite being in constant use. But that's neither here or there. We're discussing tape, not backpacks or stupid school rules.

Scotch tape is also very useful, especially for wrapping presents, so it comes in at a VERY close second. I mean, you wouldn't wanna give someone a gift wrapped with duct tape, would you? Well, if you're Red Green, maybe... ah well. XD
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Print