Print

Author Topic: Mario anime does exist!  (Read 8135 times)

« on: July 12, 2003, 04:05:12 PM »
 It was an OAV released back in 1985-1986, about 30-50 minutes long under the title of "Super Mario Bros: Princess Peach no Daisakusen" or The Plan to Rescue Princess Peach. The production company is currently unknown but I believe it was either Nippon Animation (a pretty old company), Tatsunoko Pro or Toei Doga (now Toei Animation). I saw one picture in Famitsu's archives but it was in black and white. I'll try to recover a link sometime soon.

Now that I have your attention, I myself have been taking an interest in producing animation (mainly American anime) and I'm interested in making a new Mario cartoon.

Unlike the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and its spinoffs, this one would be more based on the games and is a bit story driven. However just like the SMBSS and its spinoffs, some character designs will be used (namely King Koopa). Kind of like how Ninja Turtles was remade but without 4Kids' 'consulting'

Structure

I would want to connect some but not all of the major Mario games together. Leave out the RPGs and sports/puzzle/misc. titles. Donkey Kong fans might be disappointed so I think I'll save that for a direct to video special.

King Koopa saga (13 episodes)
 This starts off from Mario Bros. for the 1st episode and the Marios get sucked into a drain pipe into the Mushroom Kingdom. They meet Princess and Toad, decide to stay for the night at the castle. Later on in the night, Peach is kidnapped and it becomes a call to action for the Bros to save her and discover the wonders of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Wario Bros saga (13 episodes)

A neighboring Kingdom has been overthrown by two strange looking men. Hearing of the Mario Bros' last adventure, the people of the Flower Kingdom send for the Mario Bros. to battle these two men but what is the intention of these plundering plumbers? And who's this new Princess? Looks like Luigi's in love.

Koopa Kids saga (13-26)

It is a story no one would forget, everyone had thought King Koopa had left the Mushroom Kingdom and then his Doom Ship attacked, King Koopa was back...okay not very original for an opening. Still this one covers SMB3 and SMW. The Marios chase the Koopa family through the Mushroom Kingdom to Dinosaur Land all the way back to the real world for the final battle.

What about Super Mario 64? I'm working on it.

Production

As far as animation companies go, I would like Tokyo Movie Shinsha to do the animation (super slick just like some episodes of Animaniacs or Sonic X which they've also done). Despite the fact that TMS worked on anime, I would prefer them produce this as a cartoon. Remember the quality of the opening animation of the Super Mario World cartoon? That's the quality TMS can produce cartoons. Now picture that quality for 22-25 minutes.

Voices

Charles Martinet is good but as far as voices go, I would only use him for Wario + Waluigi. I prefer Lou and Danny as Mario and Luigi, if not them then the voices from TAOSMB3 and SMW

Jen Taylor could play Daisy but not Peach.

Jeanne Elias should play Peach or maybe Tracey Moore.

If John Stocker's still alive, he can play Toad.

Who can ever forget Harvey Atkin as King Koopa, forget the Super Mario Sunshine Bowser that sounded like a Muppet *shudder*

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 07:18:38 PM »
Are you asking for help?  If you are, I can do a pretty good Mario if you can't get that other guy to do it.

Hold still.  I''m trying to kill you... with my mind.
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 09:31:25 PM »
"that other guy" probably wouldn't do it unless nintendo heres about it and thinks it's cool. otherwise it would just be another fan anime.
But it sounds pretty cool. I love anime and even try to make little cartoons myself(terrible). If I can help, I will.

The world would be a much cleaner place if people would eat their own trash.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 12:47:53 AM »
Better info on the Mario Anime.

The film was released on 7-20-1986 and was called "Super Mario Bros: The Great Mission To Rescue Princess Peach". It was an hour long and Directed by Masami Hata.

The plot was (Said in the Anime Encyclopedia) that Mario & Luigi were playing on their Famicom until Princess Peach Leaps up on screen begging for help. They enter the game (Tron Style) and find a Mushroom sage in the Mushroom Kingdom.

There was also a 3-part OVA featuring retellings of fairytales.

I am not comfirmed if it was ever released on Video or DVD and this site http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http://www.instead.co.jp&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2 by looking at the Anime section and 'SA', you will see a catologue number 60395-88 and was released by Bop Video.
"Powemaster Optimus Prime, Greatest Leader Of His Time"

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 06:03:16 AM »
Japanese Mario anime, that's the first time I've heard of it.

I just thought of the perfect Nintendo cartoon. Mae three seperate animated series based on Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Mario games.

There obviously has never been a Metroid cartoon, so it would be a great idea to make one, especially with the success of Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion.

The Legend of Zelda would make a great anime (Japanese animation). The style of the characters and well-developed plot would make the Legend of Zelda a perfect anime! It could be based on The Wind Waker, or The Ocarina of Time.

Super Mario Sunshine would make a good cartoon, since it has a decent story and is sent in a different environment opposite of the traditional Mushroom Kingdom.

What do you think? We should e-mail Nintendo and beg them to think about making these cartoons. They would be a great diversion from all of the other cartoons that are on television right now. Plus it would finally do Nintendo fans justice to see their favorite game series on television!

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don''t like Nintendo obviously don''t like video games.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 10:17:43 AM »
there hasn't been a metroid cartoon, but I think samus was on captain N.

I know there needs to be a zelda anime(the cartoons made by dic are almost vomit inducing, and the comics are even worse). Go to ganonstower.com and go to their movie section. It's very interesting.

The world would be a much cleaner place if people would eat their own trash.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 02:18:32 AM »
Toei Animated Transformers (Original 1980's Generation One)! Have you seen Transformers the Movie, The animation is fantastic.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 06:34:26 PM »
Samus wasn't in the Captain N show, even though her nemesis at the time, Mother Brain, was the lead villain. But Samus DID appear in the comic books based on the show.

As for any new anime-style Mario shows, I'd prefer for the characters to look like their game counterparts and be called by their real names. (Remember how they never got the Koopalings' names correct on TAOSMB3?) Also, definitely Tracey Moore as Peach's voice. Jeannie Elias made her sound whiny.
Super Mario Bros. are cool like sunglasses!

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 01:58:26 AM »
For a new Mario show I Would like.

1. M&L Doing more interesting plots (No Save the princess plot constintly, i'm fred up of that)
2. Smooth animation with no crudeness or 'Lazy Animation' and to be done in Japan
3. Charles Martinet doing Mario' s Voice
4. New characters (As long as it is not done in the style of Sonic X. Cool show but the new characters look and act too much like the characters in Pokemon *Shudders* Chris=Ash)
5. Luigi, He was neglected in SM64 and SMS So have him in

If any of you wanna bid on the original Mario anime, the link is:
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b41269706 (It's In Japanese)

"It's the end of the road Galvatron!" Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 02:17:59 PM »
If nintendo ever does create a new legend of Zelda show, I think it should be in the same style of MTV's spider-man.  For those of you who never watched the show, It looks like it's cel-shaded.  And defeninetly nonew characters!  I saw the sonic underground show, and I hated his siblings!  What's their powers?  To sing!?  What a joke...

When Bart watches Itchy & Scratchy, how does he know he''s watching a cartoon and not real animals?

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 07:44:32 PM »
Yeah your right if they do make a new
**Legend of Zelda** it should be done in that spider-man MTV style I loved that show.
Oh and Sonic underground sucks!!

1-up
1-up

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 09:47:27 AM »
Interesting, not exactly Cowboy Bebop but I probably would have liked it when I was four.

A fan anime would be pretty cool as long as its not too serious.  Mario was never about the story.

I was wondering if they were going to do another mario show.  With Sonic, Kirby, F-Zero, and Viewtiful Joe getting their own shows you think Mario would get some action.  Unfortunately, Mario's not as popular with the kids as he was in '87, but one can always hope.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
Eh... that was a fair bit of a bump there... o_0
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
And?  It was a relevant bump, wasn't it?  I mean, it provided actual links to the anime in question, didn't it?
Go Moon!

Print