Print

Author Topic: Exciting GameCube news (MUST READ)!  (Read 7058 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: November 19, 2002, 08:09:02 AM »
Here is an exciting perhiperal I just read about at nintendo.com:

Game Boy Hits Moving to the Big Screen
Nov/18/02 12:00 PST

Game Boy Player Attachment For Nintendo GameCube
Displays Game Boy Titles On Home Televisions

REDMOND, Wash., Nov. 19, 2002 – The most successful video game system in history is finally ready for its debut on the big screen. Nintendo of America Inc. today announced it will introduce the Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Player in May 2003, allowing a library of more than 1,000 games designed for the original Game Boy, Game Boy Color and the current Game Boy Advance to be displayed on home televisions through the Nintendo GameCube console.

The Game Boy Player, a one-inch platform connecting to the bottom of the Nintendo GameCube, will match the Nintendo GameCube footprint and allow players to use either their console controller or Game Boy Advance to direct action on screen.

"For several years, the video game industry has been pushing forward to new technical frontiers…while at the same time celebrating classic hit games of the past," says Peter MacDougall, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America Inc. "This new Game Boy Player actually fulfills both desires: it instantly makes your current favorite Game Boy Advance game larger-than-life, and at the same time allows you to see your favorite portable title from a decade ago in an entirely new way."

Since its introduction in 1989, Nintendo’s portable Game Boy line has been responsible for sales of more than half a billion games worldwide. And that total stands to jump substantially with the introductions of Metroid Fusion, launched this week in North America; The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, launching in North America on Dec. 2; and two new Pokémon games, Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire, launching in Japan on Nov. 21 and in the U.S., first quarter of next year.

Indirectly, the Game Boy Player will also boost the game library for Nintendo GameCube from 180 by year-end to well over 1,000 with the inclusion of hundreds of Game Boy titles. Plus, with the ability to play all of your favorite Game Boy games on the road and on a big screen at home, it is even more reason to own both Nintendo GameCube and Game Boy Advance.

The Game Boy Player accommodates several novel forms of game play. With the Game Boy or Game Boy Advance game cartridge inserted in the Game Boy Player, a regular Nintendo GameCube controller or WaveBird wireless controller can direct the action. Or, using the Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance link cable (sold separately), the Game Boy Advance becomes the controller. The Game Boy Player also supports multiplayer action via Game Boy Advance Link Cables. Player one sees the action on the TV screen while other players view the screens on their linked Game Boy Advance systems.

The Game Boy Player will launch in Japan in March 2003. The manufacturer's suggested retail price has not yet been announced for the North American market.

---------------------------------------------
Playing Game Boy games on a TV is an awesome concept - a new revival of the classic Super Game Boy!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 03:44:44 PM »
Shoot, I was comin' to post this. lol. But at least the word's out.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 05:23:16 PM »
YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Finally! I knew it would happen!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 06:05:57 PM »
Although it's good for the customers, it doesn't sound to me like a good financial decision on Nintendo's part. They would lose more money on the GBA console sales then they would get off the device, because you wouldn't need a GBA if you had that device.
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002, 01:06:42 AM »
They're counting on the fact that
1. You already own a GBA (like me)
2. You've been wanting something like this (like me)
3. If you don't have a GBA, you'll want one because you can't use your GBA games outside of the console

Personally, I think this is a great idea. Now we won't have to buy those stupid "unscrew the back of the GBA and plug in a new video cable" things (like they show on IGN) to play GBA games on TV screens.
WooHoo, this is a great thing. I wonder how much it'll cost, though...

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2002, 07:34:51 AM »
In case any of you don't remember:
Nintendo did create something like this in the past - the Super Game Boy adapter that allowed you to play Game Boy games on your Super NES in color! Remember it?

I guess Nintendo understood the please from their loyal fans (like us)... Now we have this Game Boy Player for GameCube and all is good!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2002, 03:42:03 PM »
It was awesome, I like the different backgrounds you could use.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2002, 08:59:50 PM »
Of course I remember it.

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2002, 10:46:17 PM »
Hey will this be backwards compatable with GBC and GB games or will I have to shop online for a Super Gameboy.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2002, 12:28:11 AM »
It acts like a GBA. It plays all the games.
I just had another thought: This may convince more people to get GCNs, because I guarantee that dumb old Xbox and Sony won't ever be able to play Game Boy games on their consoles.

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2002, 06:29:31 AM »
Yep you're exactly right! This new Game Boy Player adapter is exclusive to Nintendo (obviously), so more people will want to buy GameCube's if they already have Game Boy Advance!

There has never been a better time to be a Nintendo fan! Nintendo is the best! GameCube and Game Boy Advance ROCK!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 12:20:19 AM »
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 06:04:59 PM »
Actually GBA keeps getting crappy games. A few good titles but most of them really suck. I doubt that this will convince too many more people to get a GCN. Maybe they'll start making better games. Oh and Ive been wondering why do you guys care so much if GCN's sales rise or fall?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 10:33:03 PM »
Why do you care so much about raining on everybody's parade?

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 11/22/2002 8:33:49 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2002, 06:04:55 PM »
I dont Im just not blinded by anything related to Nintendo I just like being realistic but seriously why care so much about GCN sales rising or falling?

Print