Print

Author Topic: Gaming's Changed  (Read 7103 times)

« on: January 18, 2003, 09:37:02 AM »
Remember when 8 bit was something special ? Back when the graphics didn't matter and all that mattered was the fun factor. Today, people are more concerned with the graphics and put fun second. For instance, the X-Box, which I will grant has acceptable graphics, but the games on it are 98 percent of the time not so acceptable. Yeah, I'm only 16, but I miss the 8 bit age.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 10:43:33 AM »
Think about it though. I jumped from a sinclair 128K (you may not know what this is) to a Nintendo and this was, to me, a gigantic leap in graphics and this was one of the main reasons that I got one. Graphics has always been one of a consoles best selling points.

Also, I think that good graphics is becoming more essential these days because games designers are not putting effort into producing original gameplay ideas because ideas are running out and, well, they dont feel they need to when all they have to do is copy other peoples sucessful ideas and massivly increase the graphical beauty and it will sell.  
An animator once saw a street bum, "Mario" Pedianni, and wanted to use his likeness in a cartoon, offering him a percentage of all future royalties or a bottle of cheap scotch. Pedianni took the scotch. Nothing''s stupider than a skid row plumber.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 11:31:52 PM »
Accurate, but shallow.
One person who disliked SFA gave this comment, trying to make an argument: "Graphics don't make a good game." I find this amusing, because the greatness of that game extends so far beyond the graphics. I never buy a game solely for its graphics. That's why I don't have an Xbox.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 09:24:26 AM »
That's great to hear Chupp. I didn't mean that to sound like there aren't some great games today. Because there are some awesome ones. Like Super Mario Sunshine and yes, Star Fox Adventures. Graphics do have some importance, but you can't build a system from it.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 10:19:55 AM »
You guys are right, but the graphics make a game also more fun. Altho the 2D game´s were really fun to.

I don´t know what to put here?
I don´t know what to put here?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 12:13:27 AM »
I agree that graphics can make a game more fun, because of the more precise control found within newer games, but if the play control's no good anyway, what's the point?
(I am not attempting to argue in any way. These are just my endless philosophical ponderings.)
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2003, 01:38:31 AM »
Philosophical . . . heh . . .
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2003, 10:11:55 PM »
Well, I should say it was the BEGINNING of my endless philosophical ponderings... I usually stop before I get much anywhere.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
I seem to enjoy 2D games more than 3D games unless its a shooter like James Bond or Timesplitters...

Do you know when we die,we''ll be boos too?
Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 12:28:48 AM »
Aughh! Shooters! *choke* The only kind of shooting games that're good are space shooters! Aughrrh... *falls flat on floor*
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 12:36:46 AM »
Again, I agree with C. Weird.  I hate FPS.  To me even Metroid Prime isn't that great.  One of my first hand held games was Defender, and I enjoyed that type of shooter.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 05:18:05 PM »
Yea, the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Well, Duck Hunt is a shooter and it was
awesome!

Duck Hunt!
 n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 01:19:41 AM »
But Duck Hunt is another matter altogether. It's an NES classic!
That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 03:58:41 PM »
All i play is my NES. I'm all about the 2-D. simple is better. i'm thinking about getting a SNES soon. I need more mario games. I've beaten all the NES marios.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 10:31:50 PM »
Well, then, you're better than me.

I write poetry when I`m not looking.
That was a joke.

Print