Print

Author Topic: Time for Super Mario Bros. 4?  (Read 16961 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
Solid, franchises like Mario and Mega Man don't need room for development. They're already super developed and very well-known inside (and even outside) the gaming community. Sure, there are opportunities for "next-gen design" or whatever, but that's so old hat these days. I think throwing back to 8-bit days is fresher than some completely next-gen current modern fantastic piece of work.

Besides: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd argue the 8-bit Mario and Mega Man games are among the best ones of their franchises (especially Mega Man). People love that stuff. And of course we'd still be getting Mario Galaxy 2, Nintendo can't ignore the success of Galaxy and the Wii. They're entirely capable of focusing their efforts on multiple games at once. I'm not sure what Capcom would be focusing on for a next-gen Mega Man, but again, they don't really need to.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »

As someone already said, Super Mario World is Super Mario bros. 4. I don't see why a game with new levels and better graphics isn't enough, why does it have to have the name "Super Mario Bros 4"?

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
I would enjoy a new Mario game in the vein of Super Mario Bros. SMB 3 is still among my favorite Mario games. And there is apparently a market for throwback styles, shown by the new Mega Man games. If they did do it for Mario, I'm not sure if they should go with completely 8-bit, a la Mega Man 9/10, or go with an updated look, but still rooted in the old mechanics, like the new Sonic 4 seems to be doing. Granted, updated graphics would essentially make it NSMB, which I was not crazy about. So in theory, yes, based on latest attempts, eh, not really
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »
I'd rather have Super Mario World 3.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »

Make Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World look like this and I'd buy it. Maybe orchestrate all the tracks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:32:32 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 12:25:06 AM »
^ This, although with physics slightly truer to the originals (I'm looking at you, SMAS-SMB bricks).
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
You can always find the hack that fixes those for SMAS.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 04:47:58 AM »
Which sounds great right up until you try to do that on a physical copy.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:23 AM »
Totally great.
That was a joke.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 01:16:33 PM »
Make Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World look like this and I'd buy it. Maybe orchestrate all the tracks.

So, you'd like SMAS to throw all its olde-tyme charm out the window?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
They "threw out" the NES versions' "old-tyme charm" when they made SMAS. What are you talking about.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »
I never did understand why the made most of the music in SMB tropical-ish.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
I'd love to see a Megaman 9 treatment for SMB3.  Imagine playing a NSMB Wii with SMW elements in SMB3 style.  Awesome.  (IMHO.)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
Did Yoshi's Ilsand otherwise known as Super Mario Bros. 5? And Yoshi's Island DS may be Super Mario Bros. 6. Just look at the sequels. The new graphics. The new enemies. The new characters. Sequels doesn't show to alter the timeline. If NSMB Wii was SMW and SMB3 together, then I had one in my brother's room somewhere.
"Nice of the princess to invite us over for a core destruction, eh, Luigi?"

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »
New Super Mario Bros. Wii isn't Super Mario World combined with Super Mario Bros. 3; it's a totally different game. It simply borrows elements from other Mario games. I may be the only one on this forum that thinks New Super Mario Bros. Wii is better than Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print