Print

Author Topic: If a Mario RPG game has the option of renaming your party...  (Read 7598 times)

« on: August 01, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »
...what names you would assign to them, simple as that. Many RPG games tends to have this option of renaming your characters and if this would someday appear in a Mario RPG game, would you like it or not.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:22:22 AM »
The odds are next to nothing if it's Peach/Bowser/Luigi you'll be teaming up with, but I'm glad you suggested this because I think it would work wonderfully for a (Paper) Mario RPG where enemies can become members of your team. Of course, it would probably have to have a Dragon Quest-esque setup, otherwise referencing the characters prior to them joining your team would be difficult.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »
Mario: Dr. Coolpants

Luigi: Louie Prima

Bowser: Sgt. Peppers

Goomba: Lonely Hearts Club Band

Wario: Wario

I think it would be a good idea, so you can have fun with the names and stuff

Dedicated, Awe-inspiring, Bearded...

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
Mario: Cloud
Luigi: Tifa
Peach: Aeris
Yoshi: Red XIII
etc.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:28:01 PM »
Does that make Toad Cait Sith?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:58 PM »
Hmm, maybe, if Toad turned out to be working for the bad guys.

Wait. did you finish VII? If not, don't read that.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
lolz aeris dies
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
Wow, it appears that this thread has become popular rather quickly. I like your name choices by the way. Keep it up.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
I don't know if it would work in a Mario RPG, but in other RPGs, I tend to name the party after Mario characters.

In Secret of Mana, the hero was Mario, the girl was.. usually an acronym for Princess (since this was before I knew she was Peach) and the sprite was Toad.

In Chrono Trigger..

Crono- Mario
Lucca- Daisy
Marle- Peach
Frog- Yoshi
Robo- Toad
Magus- Wario (or Bowser, depending on if I wanted to kill him in the story or not)
The Epoch (the time machine)- *I don't recall.. though in a future playthrough, I could call it Shroob or something..)

Those are the only games that I can recall playing fairly recently where you can change party member's names.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
Coincidentally, I also named Mana's heroes Mario, Peach and Toad. As for Chrono Trigger, I took a broader Nintendo-themed approach:

Crono - Mario
Lucca - Daisy
Marle - Peach
Frog - Link
Robo - R.O.B.
Ayla - Samus
Magus - Ganon
Epoch - Yoshi
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
Hey, my brother did that too! I'm not sure if he ever branched out past just Mario characters, though.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:15 PM »
I have nicknamed some of my Pokemon after Mario and Zelda characters.  I named a Seel Mario, but I don't remember how I saw much relation.  I remember my cousin and I joking about Mario being spastic, but I no longer know why I saw that Seel to be more spastic than any other Pokemon.  I always name a female Ponyta/Rapidash Epona for obvious reasons.  My old Silver version had a Pikachu named Zelda.  Spoink is Ganon.

On the actual topic, I think renaming the party would be a great option in a Mario RPG.  It was sort of available for the Yoshi kid in TTYD (granted it didn't really have a name in the first place because it had just hatched).  I'd like to see them expand on the idea of naming party members
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 03:07:09 AM »
Oh yeah, that Yoshi! (Dezzer) There was a thread solely about what people named him back in the day.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
Man, totally forgot about the Yoshi kid... and, for what it's worth, the thread. So all that has to happen is that all of your partners in the next Mario RPG are freshly-abandoned infants, and we're good to go.

...Hey, that would've been great if you could just (re)name Baby Mario and Luigi in PiT.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »
Mario: Cloud
Luigi: Tifa
Peach: Aeris
Yoshi: Red XIII
etc.

so luigi is... UHUHUHUHUhuhuhuhh.... my spine just turned to ice.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
Mario: JUMPMN
Mallow: PLZDIE
Geno: BADASS
Bowser: SHELLZ
Peach: W.MAGE

Print