Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 8  (Read 41595 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
and how do these babies exist alongside their grown-up versions anyway?
Easily.

and a Goomba--they really need to get one into a game sometime!
You might be interested in this and this.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
When using the Pro or other controller in single player is it possible to turn off the Gamepad screen and have the map show up on the TV? 

Also, is there away to remove split screen when two people are playing so that one can use the Gamepad screen and the other one use the TV screen? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
I think no and no. I use a Classic Controller and want the minimap on the TV too, but haven't found any way to get it up there and the manual doesn't mention it

Ah well. I know who's behind me when I'm racing CPUs: everybody. And who's in front of me when I'm racing friends online: everybody
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »

It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
The lack of the map was a frustration for me unless I had the controller. I'm wondering if it's a subliminal ploy by Nintendo to get more people to use them rather than stick with the classic controllers in an attempt to move the gaming public forward.

Think about it--how many people do you know who play some Wii variant of MarioKart on a classic controller? I have a buddy who bought a bunch of knockoff Game Cube controllers for his Wii so he could have four people playing on them at one time. I actually don't know of anyone personally who LIKES the Wii Wheel. I own two of them and they mostly are dust magnets underneath my bed. The novelty wore off pretty quickly, but I think most of it is because we've all been used to using analog sticks on Mario Kart games since 64 came out.

Yes, most of my friends have been around since the 64 was new (this guy still remembers unboxing his 64). One thing I was pleasantly surprised with on the Wii U was the ability to use the D-pad--a definite throwback for us SNES vets!! (Raise your hand if you were gaming when the SNES Mario Kart was the ONLY Mario Kart!)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
The Pro controller is more comfortable for me.  The gamepad wouldn't be bad if it had customizable controls or I duct tape down the A button during races. 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
I know a person who apparently uses tilt controls in MK8, marked with the wheel controller appearing next to his name. Which I kind of take as the game being aware that almost nobody likes tilt controls, and is encouraging the user to brag about how they have a self-imposed handicap.

The rest of us just like to spam the "I'm using tilt controls!" message in the online lobby even though it is completely untrue.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:36:20 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
In 7 I used tilt exclusively because it was fun.  I may go back to tilt in 8 with my daughter, but otherwise I expect to be using Pro or GCN (when/if it is allowed). 

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
I duct tape down the A button during races. 

Does Y work any better? I know it's a lot more comfortable for me.

You can also use the right stick to accelerate. I haven't been able to get used to it yet, but it's a neat option.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »
I have a real serious issue with the baby characters now. So I was doing a GP as Roy, and apparently one of the predetermined thorns for his side is Baby Peach. She was tailing me as I narrowly avoided a piranha plant on the track, and it lunged down and bit her head off instead of mine. Her little yelp made me smile. Not too long after, she caught up and rammed into the shell I was dragging. She tumbled forward and wailed a shrill scream of terror. This made me laugh. The presence of all these babies in Mario Kart 8 is either making me a terrible person who enjoys the suffering of infants, or is revealing I was one all along.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2014, 11:24:11 AM »
When using the Pro or other controller in single player is it possible to turn off the Gamepad screen and have the map show up on the TV
You can turn off the GamePad screen anytime by pressing the HOME Button, then go to Controller Settings, then Display Off.

It turns back on the moment you press a GamePad button so it's only useful when you're using a different controller.

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
Also the default option after a race is "Next Race" instead of "View Highlights."

(if you're worried that you'll hit A too fast and miss your chance to upload a clip of a really good race, just check the recent races in MKTV after you're done)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
Unused cup icons found that hint at DLC

If you read a bit further in the thread, data for staff ghosts and unused textures were also found.

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
Actually, I saw some kind of website that had directory listings of the files on the disc, and "DLC" was actually in a couple filenames.
Relics.

Print