Print

Author Topic: Mario and Japanese Mythology  (Read 8373 times)

« on: June 08, 2000, 07:01:30 PM »
Does anyone know if any Mario characters are drawn from Japanese folklore or mythology?  I've never really thought about it but I enjoy this stuff like you wouldn't believe...  I know Tanuki are the raccoon spirits, but are there any others?
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2000, 07:21:40 PM »
There's the Tanuki/Tanooki and Kitsuni/Katsuni, and then the Obakes and the like and, of course, Kappa Mountain, all mentioned on this site.  There's other stuff, like the idea that mushrooms can transport magicians to a sort of otherworld.  There's probably much more, I have read some Japanese mythology and know where to look up more.  I'll come back with more info.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2000, 09:55:35 PM »
My dad was telling me that Bowser was made after a monster that could go out of the water to go eat babies as long as it had water in the bowl on it's head. I think it was Kappa (get it Kappa, Koopa?) just some cool stuff to know.

Doomba, King of the Goombas

J.J. McCullough

• Groin-grabbingly Awesome
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2000, 08:21:00 AM »
The Mushrooms are actually based on "Alice in Wonderland". That's why they make Mario grow.

------------------

"Gravity is not only a law, it's a good idea."
"Gravity is not only a law, it's a good idea."

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2000, 04:58:27 PM »
Kappas like cucumbers, I know that...I've heard of them biting people's ankles when they came near the water, but I've never heard of them eating babies. I've also seen odd netsukes of dragon turtles sitting on top of a pile of coins. It looked ALOT like Bowser exept it was on all fours and it's tail had a tuft of hair on it like the typical oriental dragon. I think it was a luck charm for longevity & wealth or something.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2000, 06:10:19 PM »
Mega 2, what is Katsuni?  Obake?  Are these Japanese names of english Mario characters?
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2000, 06:45:20 PM »
-Nintendou is the Japanese name for "Nintendo," Ninfotendou is the Japanese Heaven
-Koopa is the name for the turtle-like "Mario" enemies, kupaanoko is Japanese for "snapping turtle."
-Katsuni is a Koopa fox, Kitsuni is a magical fox spirit in Japanese myth.
-Tanooki is a racoon suit power that can turn Mario to stone, Tanuki is a fox spirit that can turn itself to stone and be invulnerable.
-Obake is a Koopa spook in "Mario Land 2" Pumpkin Zone, Obake is a Japanese Goblin.
-Kasa-No-Obake is an umbrella-shaped Koopa in the same game, Kasa no Obake is an umbrella-shaped Goblin.
-Hotitsumo Kozoo is a one-eyed Koopa in the Pumpkin Zone, Hotitsumo Kozoo is a one-eyed Elf.
-Kappa Mountain is a location on the map in "Super Mario World" that is a hill with water in an indentation at top, Kappa is a Japanese turtle spirit that's magic comes from water in an indentation in its head.
-Kamek is a magical Koopa in the "Mario World" games, kamenoko is Japanese for "young tortoise."
-Noko Noko is the Japanese name for turtle-like Koopa Troopas, noko is Japanese for "turtle" or "tortoise," and nokonoko is Japanese for "unconcerned" or "not caring."
-Nokobon is a Koopa in "Mario Land," nokobon is Japanese for "oblivious."
-Kumo is a spider-like Koopa in the same game, kumo is Japanese for "spider."
-Mekabon is a mechanical Koopa in "ML1," meka bon is a Japanese phrase meaning "contraption" or "haphazard construction."
-Batadon is a similar mechanical Koopa, batandon is Japanese for "clatter."
-Podoboo is a ball of fire or lava that comes up at Mario in Bowser levels of several "Mario" games, podo doubou is a Japanese phrase meaning "too close."
Mega 2

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2000, 07:03:46 PM »
Nintendo means Game

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2000, 08:45:42 PM »
Really?  Because I know one of the names for Heaven or supernatural paradise in Japanese mythology is "Ninfotendou," and that seemed to me where the word "Nintendo" came from.
Mega 2

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2000, 10:41:14 PM »
I found another thing in Japanese folklore that seems Mario-ish.  Earlier, Hinopio was trying to figure out why Princess Toadstool was different from the other Mushroom people.  Anyway, in the Otherworld, where all the Kitsuni and Tanuki and Tengus and all those other spirits come from also contains the Ninfu.  Ninfu are supernatural sprites more beautiful than any mortal woman for which there is no male counterpart, and some venture into our world in search of men.  It is said that where they walk at night, mushrooms sprout.  The Ninfu are weak and defenseless, but have great magical gifts, and in their home land they excercise great power over the native population of Obakes.  Obakes (which are related to/the same thing as Bakemono and Chibi-Wos) are cowardly deformed Dwarves that are also closely associated with mushrooms.  This strikes me as similar to the rule of humanlike women like Peach and Daisy Toadstool over the Mushroom people, which come in both genders but are inhuman and small.  Anyway, it's just some more useless information I've dredged up on the mythologies of Japan.

By the way, "Hinopiou" means "Fiery brimstone" in Japanese.
Mega 2

Print