Print

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Mario?  (Read 18726 times)

« on: August 07, 2002, 08:16:23 PM »
Do you use the short A as in "cat", or do you use the "ar" sound as in "father"? Or other?

I say Mario using the "cat" vowel, it's quicker and it's the way everyone else I remember from school pronounces it. The cartoons always surprised me with their "father" pronunciation of it.

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 10:15:22 PM »
No its Pronounced Mario as in MAMA Thats the Real way (itallian way and SMB way)
hehehe money money money $$$$$$

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 10:14:36 PM »
Then your scool have no sence of prononciation. He says it himself in the video games genius. It's like as in father. The cat vowel way sounds like Mayo a bit...

It''s me KinopioToad.
KT:Since sometime in April or May of 2001.
I love me.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 10:16:49 PM »
Mar-ee-oh.

That simple.

------------------------------
What? Someone made a really dumb comment? This looks like a job for...

CYNICMAN!!!!!

That''s right! CynicMan, protector of tactlessness, enforcer of raw, abusive sarcasm!

Cynicman: What kind of introduction is THAT? It''s not even a sentence!
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 10:56:11 PM »
"It's-a Me! Maaahrio!"
But I guess British people pronounce vowels uhh... differently... But yeah, haven't you ever played the N64 Mario games? Even the Japanese people know how to say it right!

It sure gets boring having the same signature all the time. See what I mean?
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2002, 07:06:53 AM »
To me, the R is part of the second syllable. It's Ma (as in Mat) - Ree - Oh. Some people seem to stretch the R across both syllables, which requires effort for me to do.

How do we pronounce vowels differently in this context? The "a" in "mat" is simply the short "a" sound.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by - avengah on 8/8/2002 6:07:43 AM
Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2002, 01:54:41 PM »
Just listen to the sound effects in Super Mario 64, I think the people who make the games know how to say it (duh). But have you listened to the voice(s) at the "SuperMarioWorld" screen in SMW (SMA 2) for GBA (just before File  Select)? It sounds like there saying "Super Mariooo". What are they, cows? But then again, I've dropped my GBA a couple times and the speaker might be messed up :P
-----------
Can`t sleep, clowns will eat me...can`t sleep, clowns will eat me...

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2002, 02:04:55 PM »
Dude. Play Super Mario 64. Just about the first thing you will hear is "It's-a me! Mahr-ee-eau. " Or, if you don't have Super Mario 64 download
Corn v0.29 from http://www.Zophar.net/n64.html, then go to: http://games.westcn.com/emu/N641.htm for the Super Mario 64 rom plus many other n64 roms.
If your not allowed to download roms and emulators/ anything, then just take my word for it.
That's how you pronounce "Mario".

My Signature:

-N-R-kist
Do marquees work in you r signature?

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2002, 09:04:42 PM »
To be fair, there are people named Mario who pronounce their name the way avengah pronounces it.  Mario of Nintendo fame, however, isn't one of them, as we can hear on the title screen of almost any Mario-related game for the N64.  ^^

"We took pity on him because he''d lost both parents at an early age. I think that, on reflection, we should have wondered a bit more about that."

--Lord Downey, Terry Pratchett''s "Hogfather"

Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2002, 07:59:36 AM »
Alot of people prounounce it "Mair e o"

I pronounce it with the long a in Are, Mar - e - o!

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 04:08:29 PM »
Maryo or Mare E o?

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2002, 11:37:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure Italian people pronounce it the way Mario does. People from NY pronounce it wrong. ?. And hey, avengah, I pronounce it with the long sound of a, not the short sound. As in, "Say ah!" And you have played Super Mario 64, right?!
To respond to the SMA2 thing, they took them saying "Super Mario" from in SMA, when they said "Super Mario 2!" and they altered it a little bit and cut it, and so now it sounds kinda weird.

It sure gets boring having the same signature all the time. See what I mean?

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 8/9/2002 10:42:22 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2002, 03:10:24 AM »
I haven't heard ANYONE pronounce it Mair-ee-o. I've always thought everyone says it using either the "Mat" vowel or the "father" vowel. Most other normal English people I've heard that say it, usually say it using the "Mat" vowel. Maybe it's different over in America? However, I don't see why it should be.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2002, 02:34:10 PM »
And it's also pronounced correctly ("father") in Japan.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 10:48:34 AM »
It's-a me, Mario!!! (Pronunciation: Mar-eee-oh)

An extremly rare and valuable Yoshi!
"Who want''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s to buy a gold Yoshi? Selling Price, $99,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999!" (almost 10 Googols!)
(This is GoldenYoshi)
"How much does the $1.99 Popcorn Chicken cost?" ~ Classic Stupidity.

Print