Print

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Mario?  (Read 18727 times)

« on: August 07, 2002, 08:16:23 PM »
Do you use the short A as in "cat", or do you use the "ar" sound as in "father"? Or other?

I say Mario using the "cat" vowel, it's quicker and it's the way everyone else I remember from school pronounces it. The cartoons always surprised me with their "father" pronunciation of it.

Cheers,

Matt

Mountain Dew or Crab Juice? Oh, I can''t take it any more!
You got a toilet in there? "No, toilet in tower. Tower!"
Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 10:15:22 PM »
No its Pronounced Mario as in MAMA Thats the Real way (itallian way and SMB way)
hehehe money money money $$$$$$

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 10:14:36 PM »
Then your scool have no sence of prononciation. He says it himself in the video games genius. It's like as in father. The cat vowel way sounds like Mayo a bit...

It''s me KinopioToad.
KT:Since sometime in April or May of 2001.
I love me.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 10:16:49 PM »
Mar-ee-oh.

That simple.

------------------------------
What? Someone made a really dumb comment? This looks like a job for...

CYNICMAN!!!!!

That''s right! CynicMan, protector of tactlessness, enforcer of raw, abusive sarcasm!

Cynicman: What kind of introduction is THAT? It''s not even a sentence!
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 10:56:11 PM »
"It's-a Me! Maaahrio!"
But I guess British people pronounce vowels uhh... differently... But yeah, haven't you ever played the N64 Mario games? Even the Japanese people know how to say it right!

It sure gets boring having the same signature all the time. See what I mean?
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2002, 07:06:53 AM »
To me, the R is part of the second syllable. It's Ma (as in Mat) - Ree - Oh. Some people seem to stretch the R across both syllables, which requires effort for me to do.

How do we pronounce vowels differently in this context? The "a" in "mat" is simply the short "a" sound.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by - avengah on 8/8/2002 6:07:43 AM
Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2002, 01:54:41 PM »
Just listen to the sound effects in Super Mario 64, I think the people who make the games know how to say it (duh). But have you listened to the voice(s) at the "SuperMarioWorld" screen in SMW (SMA 2) for GBA (just before File  Select)? It sounds like there saying "Super Mariooo". What are they, cows? But then again, I've dropped my GBA a couple times and the speaker might be messed up :P
-----------
Can`t sleep, clowns will eat me...can`t sleep, clowns will eat me...

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2002, 02:04:55 PM »
Dude. Play Super Mario 64. Just about the first thing you will hear is "It's-a me! Mahr-ee-eau. " Or, if you don't have Super Mario 64 download
Corn v0.29 from http://www.Zophar.net/n64.html, then go to: http://games.westcn.com/emu/N641.htm for the Super Mario 64 rom plus many other n64 roms.
If your not allowed to download roms and emulators/ anything, then just take my word for it.
That's how you pronounce "Mario".

My Signature:

-N-R-kist
Do marquees work in you r signature?

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2002, 09:04:42 PM »
To be fair, there are people named Mario who pronounce their name the way avengah pronounces it.  Mario of Nintendo fame, however, isn't one of them, as we can hear on the title screen of almost any Mario-related game for the N64.  ^^

"We took pity on him because he''d lost both parents at an early age. I think that, on reflection, we should have wondered a bit more about that."

--Lord Downey, Terry Pratchett''s "Hogfather"

Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2002, 07:59:36 AM »
Alot of people prounounce it "Mair e o"

I pronounce it with the long a in Are, Mar - e - o!

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 04:08:29 PM »
Maryo or Mare E o?

-------
In my dream, the world had suffered a terrible disaster. A black haze shut out the sun, and the darkness was alive with the moans and screams of wounded people.
Suddenly, a small light glowed. A candle flickered into life, symbol of hope for millions. A single tiny candle, shining in the ugly dark. I laughed, and blew it out.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2002, 11:37:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure Italian people pronounce it the way Mario does. People from NY pronounce it wrong. ?. And hey, avengah, I pronounce it with the long sound of a, not the short sound. As in, "Say ah!" And you have played Super Mario 64, right?!
To respond to the SMA2 thing, they took them saying "Super Mario" from in SMA, when they said "Super Mario 2!" and they altered it a little bit and cut it, and so now it sounds kinda weird.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 8/9/2002 10:42:22 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2002, 03:10:24 AM »
I haven't heard ANYONE pronounce it Mair-ee-o. I've always thought everyone says it using either the "Mat" vowel or the "father" vowel. Most other normal English people I've heard that say it, usually say it using the "Mat" vowel. Maybe it's different over in America? However, I don't see why it should be.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2002, 02:34:10 PM »
And it's also pronounced correctly ("father") in Japan.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2002, 10:48:34 AM »
It's-a me, Mario!!! (Pronunciation: Mar-eee-oh)

An extremly rare and valuable Yoshi!
"Who want''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''s to buy a gold Yoshi? Selling Price, $99,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999!" (almost 10 Googols!)
(This is GoldenYoshi)
"How much does the $1.99 Popcorn Chicken cost?" ~ Classic Stupidity.

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2002, 06:02:14 PM »
Is the "r" part of the 1st or 2nd syllable? For me, it's part of the 2nd. Saying the first syllable is "Mar" is ambiguous, it doesn't say how you pronounce the "a".

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2002, 10:16:47 PM »
A in Mario: long vowel. Like, "Ah, now I see" or something. Or like something is marred. (Like scratched) No matter what you say, it will always be pronounced that way.

That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2002, 03:26:48 AM »
Well, everyone who talks about it here in England says it with the short vowel.

Ma-ree-oh.

It seems to be an England / America difference in pronunciation, and I don't understand why this should be.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2002, 09:41:14 AM »
Hello? It's because you have English accents! We talk differently than you! Of course it would be different!

-------
La taille de sein n`importe pas. Aussi longtemps que vous n`êtes pas dégoûter gros, et votre face n`est pas laide, vous êtes bon avec moi. A moins que vous planifiez sur le nourrir vos enfants avec votre propre lait, vous n`avez pas besoin des grands seins.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2002, 07:24:12 PM »
I was just about to get around to that myself. And then, I was thinking, wouldn't British people pronounce "cat" more like the way American people pronounce "cot"? If that holds true, then we both pronounce it pretty much the same... still, man, I mean listen to Charlie! He says it correctly in every newer game featuring Mario!!

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2002, 04:02:40 AM »
No, the problem here is that you're all americans. You see, the rest of the world (including the country the developed english [england]) dont use 'mah' because its stupid, and only yanky doodle dandy's say crap like that. It's Mario. Just like it looks. Not mahhhhhhrio, like I'm so sure you all say. Christ, speak properly.
------------------------------
"Whoa, Yoshi eat Pirahna Plant. Dino-Dude radical cool." ~ Oogtar the idiot

"I''''ve got to grow as big as Koop-Zilla, so I can clean his pipes." ~ Mario Mario

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2002, 01:15:35 PM »
"speak properly"

You're an idiot. If one speaks in one's own accent, one is speaking properly.

-------
La taille de sein n`importe pas. Aussi longtemps que vous n`êtes pas dégoûter gros, et votre face n`est pas laide, vous êtes bon avec moi. A moins que vous planifiez sur le nourrir vos enfants avec votre propre lait, vous n`avez pas besoin des grands seins.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2002, 05:51:26 PM »
Exactly. And I was just thinking, a lot more people in America use English than in England. Ever think of that? the UK is like only as big as Texas! (OK, maybe it's not that small...) And plus, in this case, the way Charles Martinet pronounces Mario is correct for how you say Mario the video game character's name.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2002, 05:56:36 PM »
It's obvious that it looks like it's pronounced differently to each of us. To English people, spelled normally, it looks like maar, but to me, and a ton of other american people (at least), it looks like marr. So there. It's all what you're used to. What's the point in getting angry or anything?

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2002, 12:07:09 AM »
Oh, and "Prop", the Japanese DEVELOPERS of the games say it the same way as Americans, and so do more people than you think. Either you live in a different world, or you don't know much about the rest of it. I think I'll quit this topic now.

That was a joke.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2002, 01:31:47 PM »
Okay, Okay. So we know how to pronounce Mario's name. But the REAL question is: How do you pronounce "Wario"?

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2002, 03:06:34 PM »
Waaaaaah ree oh.

-------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2002, 10:37:58 PM »
Umm... I agree? Sometimes I pronounce it like Mario, and sometimes I pronounce it like "War"-ee-o. As in a war. So I guess this post is useless.
Oh, wait, I know! The key is always Charles Martinet.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 8/18/2002 9:39:19 PM
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2002, 11:13:04 PM »
The even more real question is...
HoW dO yOu PrOnOuNcE LaKiTu?

That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2002, 11:34:14 AM »
Lack, eat, ooh.
Now, what about moustache? Only some people say MUSTash and others say mustASH... Actually, no... This is extremely irrelevant. Oh, well... Carry on, kids.

~Waddle Dedede
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2002, 02:09:23 PM »
Wario rhymes with Mario.  "Obey Wario, destroy Mario!"  As for Lakitu, I say "Lah-KEE-too," but I can see how there'd be other ways to say it and I'm not sure mine's the right one.

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2002, 06:01:38 PM »
I say lah-KEE-too (lucky 2?)

At first I thought avengah was either very stupid or didn't know English, but then I realized that he's from England.  My apologies for my thoughts spoken aloud...but in MY country (U.S.), we have freedom of speech.

LieutenantEagle
--------
Gandalf: The Eagles have come!  The Eagles have come!
LieutenantEagle: I know.  They''re in front of you.
LieutenantEagle
--------
Gandalf: The Eagles have come!  The Eagles have come!
LieutenantEagle: I know.  They''re in front of you.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2002, 10:14:28 PM »
I've read that people pronounce it LAH-ke-too, but I pronounce it la-KEE-too as well. I think I'll go record a sound file and tell you people to go there and then we can compare. Well, that's all for now...
Ahh, the US. I live here too, and I can't really imagine living in other places.

That was a joke.

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2002, 04:25:16 AM »
Chupperson: To English people it doesn't look like "maar". It just looks like Mario. Said quickly, as it's spelt.

Ma (as in Mat)
Rio.

Three quick syllables.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2002, 07:02:12 PM »
I know! That's what I said! It obviously looks different to British people than American people! But seriously, haven't you ever heard him say "It's-a me! Mario!"? He says it the way you're supposed to say his name (that specific Mario)! Rhyme it with "Car"io. Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me anymore. It's not my problem if you can't see what I'm saying.

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2002, 07:18:29 PM »
Here's a sound file to tell you how I pronounce Mario, to avoid any confusion whatsoever.
http://matthewenterprises.tripod.com/mario.wav
You can hear it without much trouble, unless your computer is 5000+ years old. Or you don't have good software... or don't know how to use your computer...

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 8/26/2002 6:21:10 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2002, 01:19:20 PM »
Who knows? Perhaps in the UK, they replace Charles Martinet's infamous "it's-a me, Mario!" clip with a different one?

Anyway, neither way is proper nor improper. The only way to find out is to head over to Italy and ask someone there.

I always use the "ah" sound, though. However, to me it makes sense that English people would pronounce it "ah" and American pronounce it "aa"... odd.

Anyway, it only makes sense that Japanese people pronounce it as "ah", because their language is extremely simple. Each vowel makes only one sound, ex:
A = "ah"
I = "ee"
U = "oo"
E = "eh"
O = "oh"

That should also help for the pronounciation of Lakitu.

I have one last question for "Matt"... have you ever played Super Smash Bros. or Super Mario 64? If you have, do they change the pronounciation for 'Mario' in the UK version?
-Currently on Ch. 1 of my fic-

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2002, 10:39:15 PM »
"It's-a me, Mario"... infamous?! You don't know what you're talking about, bud. Where do you buy your knowledge anyway?
Japanese: Pronunciation is simple, everything else is not.
People in Italy pronounce it correctly (as in my cound clip.) I know that for a fact. So there.
That was a joke.

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2002, 05:41:17 PM »
Infamous: Causing or producing infamy; deserving detestation; scandalous to the last degree; as, an infamous act; infamous vices; infamous corruption. (excerpt from www.dictionary.com)

Ok, infamous was too strong a word. What about: famous yet on the verge of becoming annoying. Much like "Pika...".

But anyway, have you ever met anyone italian who didn't pronounce their name "Mah-rio"...
(Heck, I've never met anyone italian period...)
-Currently on Ch. 1 of my fic-

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2002, 10:43:02 PM »
Hmm. "Pika" is WAY worse than anything Mario ever said. Mario says that it's-a him every time I boot up my computer... that's cool. I don't find that annoying in the least. Now Pikachu, on the other hand, is an insane annoyance.
I think that uninformed British and American people invented the incorrect pronunciation of Mario... the right way has always been like my sound file...
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2002, 05:28:03 PM »
CW! E-mail me your theme!!! It's Mario!

Why did I say that, I think there's one at http://www.themeworld.com/

Mario, Mario, Mario! What happened to Mr. Andretti?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2002, 10:47:33 PM »
Relax, dude... you can get it here at TMK too... :-)
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2002, 07:31:18 AM »
Not that I'm aware of. All the pronunciations are the same I think. However, I prefer Mario's cartoon voice to the one in the games.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2002, 07:33:14 PM »
There's an Italian-American (granted, I'm not 100% sure how many generations removed he is, but I think his parents were actually from Italy) comedian named Mario Cantone, who pronounces his name "Mare-ee-o."

I don't think any one way is more right or wrong than the other in general, but "Mah-ree-o" is definitely right for the Nintendo character in particular.  A lot of words have two different pronunciations and one's not any more right than the other . . . like "obligatory."

"We took pity on him because he''d lost both parents at an early age. I think that, on reflection, we should have wondered a bit more about that."

--Lord Downey, Terry Pratchett''s "Hogfather"

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2002, 08:39:12 PM »
Ich würde sagen, daß Marios Name als maw-ree-OH- gesagt würde und sehen würde, wie der ist, wie er es selbst in SM64 sagt!!!

www.songbirdocarina.com

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2002, 08:54:52 PM »
Sie sind nicht der einzige deutsche mario Ventilator hier

www.songbirdocarina.com

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2002, 09:12:33 PM »
Heres what I say listen to the way Mario says his name in the games it is his name he should know how to pronounce it.

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2002, 09:18:55 PM »
If any of you understand german (like frostbite) you would be able to see i said exactly what ooze just said!
But in german of course!

www.songbirdocarina.com

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2002, 11:21:16 PM »
I can. Anyway...
Ventilator... fan... haha
Anyway, now that people have dragged this up off the bottom of the lake again, (hmm, I just made up a new expression!) in regards to "the" Mario, it's as he says it in the game. That's all there is to it. You can't argue with the imperical data found in Mario's pronunciation of his own name.
Anata ni chigaini nekkyo naraba anata dekinai shochi suru. (Above phrase may have incorrect grammar.)
Anyway, sure, it doesn't really matter how people pronounce it... yeah, there are people named Mario who say it differently than Charles Martinet, and that's fine...
But what really gets me is why they call Mario Lemieux "Super Mario" when he pronounces it "Mare-ee-oh".
What it all comes down to: Obviously, people pronounce it differently, but still, if you mean Mr. Nintendo, it's Mah-ree-oh. End of story.
That was a joke.

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2002, 12:56:19 PM »
The way I, and most other English people I know, pronounce Mario, is more easily spelt out like this.

Take the English pronunciation of "Matty" (short a), change the T consonant to an R and add an O.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2002, 08:28:52 PM »
I think we all understand that now... but regardless, that's not how Mario says his name. Did you mean "how should one pronounce Mario", or did you mean "how do you individual people out there pronounce Mario"?
See, for you, maybe, it seems hard to pronounce it the way Mario does. But for me, it's a heckuva lot easier that way. It's really hard for me to pronounce it the way you do. But why are you still arguing about this?

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 9/29/2002 7:33:17 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2002, 05:09:05 AM »
Mah-ree-oh.
--------------------------------
Anyone remember me?Roy Koopa''s brother?Theory-Guy?You know,don''t you?Ah,screw it.

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2002, 06:53:05 AM »
I dunno. It's probably not important, I'm just interested. So why is it hard to pronounce it the way I do? Surely it's just the same as taking "Marry" and adding O to it, as long as you don't pronounce Marry the same as Merry (which I think is ignorant).

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2002, 07:40:22 PM »
You mean Meriadoc Brandybuck is ignorant?

The way you just described makes all us American people say that that would make you pronounce it "Mare-ee-oh." Evidently, you use that third form of "a" a lot more than I do. And yes, I pronounce "Marry" and "Merry" the same, I suppose both sounding like "Merry."
But why do you keep this up?

That was a joke.

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2002, 05:37:20 AM »
Never heard of that person.

Not all American people pronounce them the same. Let me see now.

Marry uses the "cat" vowel.
Merry uses the "bed" vowel.
Mary uses the "air" vowel (longer in duration).

I am interested in linguistics which is why I am pursuing this.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2002, 04:25:19 PM »
I think he made him up. Chupperson's sort of an "oddball".

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #3:

Girl: Hey, we`re all calling this guy up and yelling at him. You want to try?
Frostbite: Why would I do that?
Girl: He`s really mean. He calls people crackers.
Frostbite: So? Why should I care?
Girl: You`d want to be called an hors d`oeuvre?
Frostbite: If you think crackers are hors d`oeuvres, you must be poor.
Girl: Ew!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2002, 07:32:44 PM »
Well, you've certainly got that right, but actually, he's from the Lord of the Rings, and people call him Merry for short.
Let me point out one thing: I, for one, say both "Merry" and "Marry" with the pronunciation from "bed". I do know for a fact that it is different in England, for the most part.

That was a joke.

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2002, 08:08:29 PM »
I pronouce the "me"/"ma" the same, but the "rr" differently.

-------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2002, 10:49:12 PM »
Hmm... maybe that's what I do too. Weird.

That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2002, 07:55:12 AM »
MA-R-IO! That's how Mario (voiced by: Charles Martinet) always pronounces it in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

If you're still not sure, just listen closely to the way he says "MARIO!" in Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine...

"It's a me, MA-R-IO!"
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2002, 01:02:02 AM »
Precisely.
However, I don't think he believes us. :-p

That was a joke.

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2002, 05:40:25 PM »
Who's "he"?

-------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2002, 10:21:58 PM »
Avengah.
Hate to say it, but he's starting to get on my nerves.

That was a joke.

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2002, 09:44:43 AM »
It's meant to be a light-hearted discussion - sorry if I'm annoying you. I kind of wanted an adult discussion about the way things are pronounced etc. I'm not some kid trying to prove I'm better than you lot - I'm 21.

To this day I still don't understand why the situation is as it is - it seems most Americans pronounce Mario using the a vowel in car, while normal English people pronounce it using the a vowel in cat. Simply a country-to-country difference, it would seem, but I don't know why.

I think it may be due to the quality of the a - in normal English, the a in cat is pretty much a pure a, while in American it is more of a diphthong (ae) which is nothing like the Italian.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2002, 08:52:36 PM »
"Normal English people?!"
THAT'S AN INSULT TO "NORMAL" AMERICAN PEOPLE!
No, I don't say cat "keat"...
For Pete's sake, go get the sound file I posted the link to a few pages back and listen to that! Then, say what you mean after you have the example!
Yes, it is pronounced like "the Italian".
Go listen to my file, and find out!!
(Ok, I'm not mad, alright?)

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/7/2002 10:41:25 AM
That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2002, 11:39:21 AM »
Oh, one other thing, there's not "normal English", either. There's British English and American English...
But quite frankly, I can't understand WHY you would pronounce it the way you do. (Just as you can't understand why I say it the way I do...) I've never heard it said like that, but whatever. You know, it's just different, and there's really no "why" about it. There's no point in trying to figure out why YOU say it differently. (See, I can use your argument against you as well as you can use it on me.)

That was a joke.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2002, 10:24:51 PM »
And my final post:
The way it's said in the games is how you're supposed to say it.
One is his name, the other is not.
Sure, there might be people that say it the way you do, but they're not talking about Mario the Nintendo character. They're talking about somebody else.
You're representing the minority here, do you realize that? In Japan, Italy, and most of America, it's pronounced the way he says it in the game. That's a lot more people than you and the people you know who say it "your way."
Can't you just understand that it's different, and accept that? You have some obscure way of saying Mario, and I guess that's fine, but it's not the way you say Mario Mario's name. That's all there is to it.
And my final comment:
Either your ego is too big or your opinion of your country is too high. (And that observation is not based solely on this topic; I remember you saying that Americans are like a different type of British people, which is a complete falsehood... that, among other things.)
Goodbye.

That was a joke.

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2002, 01:04:23 PM »
Maybe it's Mario(Charles Martinet pronouncation) Mario(British pronouciation).

Ma-hri-o Marry-o.

-------
Weekly Frostbite Quote #4:

Mom: I hear we’re going to war with Iraq.
Frostbite: So what? Iraq’s like a mile across. I could run across Iraq in ten minutes!
Sister: No Danny, that’s Iran!
[Both laugh]
Frostbite: Oh, I gotta write that down!
Sister: Yeah!
Frostbite: I ran across Iraq!
[Both laugh]

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2002, 11:53:11 PM »
Umm.... that's just plain weird.
And I severely doubt it too.
In fact, I can prove that wrong... you know how they say "Mario Brothers!" when you select Mario Bros. in a SMA game?

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/9/2002 10:47:16 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2002, 02:57:50 PM »
Oh dear - looks like I've upset someone. Not intentionally.

You have made a mistake, though - most English people DO pronounce it the way I do. Agreed, it is not how the Italians pronounce it, it is not how it is pronounced in the games (although ten years ago it was never pronounced in the games), but it's how we pronounce it! Sorry, didn't intend to insult you.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2002, 10:04:20 PM »
Well, it's not your pronunciation that makes me mad, of course, it's just your attitude. No offense, but the way you phrased all that stuff was just... wrong.
Okay then, all you British people have that obscure way to say it.
One other thing... for almost 12 years, Charles Martinet has been the voice of Mario. Therefore, it has been pronounced like that for actually more than 10 years.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/10/2002 9:09:19 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2002, 12:43:13 AM »
I always preferred the voices in the cartoons. When I think of the characters' voices, I think of the voices in the cartoons. I also respect the history - when Princess Toadstool was called Princess Toadstool in England - not that awful Jap name Peach, which has much less dignity and character.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2002, 05:30:47 AM »
Just to clarify - by normal English I simply meant English as spoken in the home and mother land, England. ENGLish, ENGLand, hence Normal English. No disrespect intended.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by - avengah on 10/12/2002 4:31:32 AM
Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2002, 01:25:23 AM »
Well fine, but England isn't the "mother country" anymore, have you realized? There's people from all over the place here, not just from England. And don't say they all speak English, for you know that to be false.
The final thing: You obviously have a different perspective than most Mario fans...
Most people say that Mario's game voice is his TRUE voice, and Peach has always been her real name, and it suits her a lot better, too. Or what, you'd like to be called a name with some rather derogatory meanings?

That was a joke.

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2002, 02:02:09 PM »
No, there was a topic on GameFAQs a while ago, started in the NES Super Mario Bros. 3 board (which obviously contains people as old as myself, probably older, who played the games when they were first out), which asked whether people preferred Peach or Toadstool.

The winner was Princess Toadstool - most people thought that suited her better. Peach was the original Japanese name, but not the original English name, and it is wrong for them to change it like this.

Where does it say the game voices are the true voices? Where do the cartoons come into all of this?

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2002, 02:15:03 PM »
I tried to edit that but it wouldn't let me for some reason. What I mean is that us veterans are USED to the name Princess Toadstool, and they suddenly changed it to Peach in English language release games. This sounded cheap and tacky, and wasn't what we were used to, and didn't seem right. Nintendo should have at least used Princess Peach Toadstool, rather than try to pretend that the name Toadstool never existed.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2002, 03:58:50 PM »
I say 'Mario' using the 'ar' in father.

n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2002, 09:20:19 PM »
Yes, well, we've already covered that.
Hey Avengah, ever played Super Mario 64?!
At the end of PEACH's letter to Mario, it's clearly signed: "Princess Toadstool -- Peach".
But cheap and tacky? How so? It's a perfectly good name, as good as any...
Also, she was never meant to be called Toadstool in the first place. The NOA localization team thought it would fit better with the Mushroom Kingdom theme, but eventually Shiggy said "nuh-uh" and they started calling her by her real name.

That was a joke.

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2002, 10:23:15 PM »
Yeah, I know all that - it was Nintendo's attempt to phase out Toadstool and bring in Peach, all at once. The English name was Princess Toadstool from SMB1, whether it was meant to be or not. The gorilla was meant to be called Monkey Kong but they spelt it wrong. So why didn't they change Donkey Kong back to what they originally intended?

To me, she will always be Princess Toadstool.

Cheers,

Matt

Cheers,

Matt

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2002, 10:31:24 PM »
No, he was supposed to be Donkey Kong, and that messed up fax story was something someone made up.
Donkey - read: stubborn
Kong - read: monkey

Also, one thing I forgot to say last time was... the reason that Mario's real voice is the game voice is because Mario is a video game. Therefore, his voice in the games is the correct one.

None shall dispute my word!
That was a joke.

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2002, 09:13:10 PM »
Chupperson's right . . . it was Donkey Kong all along.  I love me some Snopes.com.  But avengah didn't mean that we pronounce cat "keat" . . . he said "ae," the dipthong sound, not "ea."  Don't ask me to explain a dipthong because I'm no linguistics expert and frankly I can't, no matter what my moochy roommate seems to think.

I don't really think avengah meant any offense or that his way was the one right way.  But avengah, try to expand your world view a little.  I only mean the comment about England being the "mother land" and that form of English being "normal."  It's not; it's the ORIGINAL form, but it's not any more NORMAL than American English or any other language.  Also, I hate when people make the mistake of suggesting that all Americans are of British stock.  There are people living in this country whose ancestors have never seen England.  I don't think they'd appreciate you assigning your country as their "mother."

Also, "Jap" is a slur.  Just sayin'.

That is all.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2002, 11:27:05 PM »
Yup, you're right all the way...
I wrote it "keat" because otherwise it would have looked like "Kate", at least to me.
And just clearin' one other thing up... the way avengah says "Mario" is not the original way, in this case.

None shall dispute my word!
Dede jxucc tajfiko mo neht!
That was a joke.

Print