Print

Author Topic: Yoshi's Island is CCCOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!  (Read 5214 times)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2003, 08:28:52 PM »
-----SPOILER ALERT!!!-----

Here, let me give you a minor hint.

You know the ice room, right? And the ! blocks that lead to a pipe. When you enter the pipe, You hit a ? cloud and a door appears. Look VERY closely at the objects in that paticular room. And oh yes, that red switch is there for a reason. A VERY good reason.

All I'm saying unless you need more help.

The pure GENIUS of Secret 5's design is what draws me to it. I LOVE the design!

Going on, 4-4 has the most BRILLIANT design of any level of any Mario game ever made.

The begging, which requires you to make precise yet very fast jumps in order to collect everything...

Which leads to a room with 4 distinct mini-tests for you...

The top left requiring good shooting...
The top right requiring good dodging abilities...
The bottom left requiring good jumping...
The bottom right requiring precise timing...

It truly requires ability of every skill in YI to beat perfectly.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2003, 10:49:22 PM »
Oh Yoshi's Island...so many memories...

I bought the SNES version when I was 6,now im 13,it brings back so many childhood memories...

Im all screwed up.No,my life hasnt gone wrong,i''ve just held a screw attack item for more than 30 seconds!
Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2003, 11:38:45 PM »
You know, I just found out about the door a couple hours ago, while waiting for my part in an opera rehearsal. Anyway, I think I got everything from the door (I had no idea that they could change the pointers like that! Amazing) but what puzzles me is the pipe on the upper left side of the ice room. You know, with the zigzagging coins? Do you use the big puffin to get up there, or what? Does that pipe even lead anywhere?

Oh yeah, now I have something like a 73 with that door. Maybe I missed a door position...?

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2003, 06:17:42 AM »
If I remember the area you're talking about correctly... To get those coins, just shoot a Huffin Puffin. Usually it'll come back, but if they all die, you'll be able to replenish them when you reenter the room. I don't think eggs can get those coins. Oh, and no, the pipe doesn't lead anywhere.

--------------------
Wise people speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2003, 06:20:08 AM »
Oh, and another thing... You know the door that appears when you hit the winged cloud? Try getting it to land on the soft rock AND below it. *Hint* use the switch...

--------------------
Wise people speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2003, 07:22:16 PM »
There are 3 door positions.

And If I can remember correctly, that pipe DOES lead to a small room. You have to go over everything to get into it. It has about 8 1-ups. And you can keep reentering to get more 1-ups.

~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2003, 09:16:54 PM »
Yep, okay, I got into the room with the 1-UPs and I found the 3 door positions. And I got up to the upper area of the very beginning (above the watermelon) but I still only have 77 points. I don't know what I could be missing.

And Steve, you're right. The level design is sheer genius.

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2003, 06:12:39 AM »
Would you consider Yoshi's Island to be the ultimate Mario platformer game?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2003, 07:08:19 AM »
Platformer? Definitely.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2003, 08:46:13 PM »
-----SPOILER ALERT! WORSE THAN LAST TIME!-----

YI is the best platformer on any consloe ever. The difference is that YI requires A LOT of ingenuity to beat completely. The other platforms are a bit more.... linear?

Of course, the irony behind that statement is that YI is about the only Mario platformer that requires you to play the levels in a certain order.

And here's the 5 flowers in Secret 5.

1: The easy one: in the ice room.
2: In the red room, there's a pipe. Go in it, and get the lower in the ice block.
*3: In the yellow room, there's a blue watermelon in an ice block. melt the ice, get this watermelon, and go to the area with the two Tap-Taps. Freeze them (Don't waste your ice) and bounce off them over the wall. Reach the end of this section, and freeze the Tap-Taps you see at the end for a Flower.
*4: In the green room, there's a pipe you can go in. Go in there, and climb the ice blocks carefully by getting a red watermelon, and melting just the right blocks to get the next watermelon and climb the tower. There is a flower on the top.
5: In the area in the beginning above the watermelon, there is a section with a hidden door on the right side. There are 5 Bandits inside; beat them all for a Flower.

* -- Denotes flowers I THINK you missed.

And 3 red coins. Ah well.

Tell me if you are still stuck.

~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2003, 11:03:21 PM »
You are correct, those are the flowers I missed. I actually figured out the one with the Tap-Taps, but I foolishly decided that there was nothing up there, so I didn't really try very hard to get up there.
I think I'll try to get those flowers now. Or maybe in a while.
And I suppose that the red coins are just in the places I haven't found the flowers...

And yeah, YI is probably the ultimate 2D Mario platformer. Although my first love in gaming is SMB3.
That was a joke.

Print