Print

Author Topic: You're thoughts on the status of Mario Bros. DS  (Read 4819 times)

« on: December 13, 2004, 07:38:09 PM »
The title pretty much says it all.  Do you think it will actually end up in our DS's or do you think it will be doomed to suffer the same fate as Mario128?  To be perfectly honest, I don't think it will ever come out.  It seems more like a tech-demo only thing to me.  Kind of like the Gamecube demo of all the Marios running around and picking up blocks.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what all you guys think about the situation.

-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 12:56:54 AM »
Oh, you said Mario Bros. DS, not Super Mario 64x4.

Yeah, I think it's a game that will come out eventually. Doesn't seem too far out there compared to other DS titles to be more possible as a tech demo.

Why I continue to try to save the world, I shall never know.

Edited by - penguinwizard on 12/16/2004 10:58:59 PM
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 08:14:14 PM »
lol Yeah, I was actually afraid people would think I said Mario64 DS and I would seem like an idiot.  But no, I meant the 3D sidescroller we saw at E3.  And is it just me or is anybody else kinda ticked off that they made the Super Mushroom into a replacement for the Starman?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 08:46:59 PM »
It's just you, or at least it's not me.  I like the new Super Mushroom.  I liked the Super Bowser in the sidescrolling platform levels of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 03:05:12 PM »
But if the Super Mushroom makes you invincible then there really isn't a point for there to be a Starman.  I dunno, personally I think they should be kept as two seperate items.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 06:44:21 PM »
I agree.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 07:18:41 PM »
 Unless there has been some sort of 'new development' of which I'm unaware, I do not see any reason why it would not be released as a game, and become a simple 'tech-demo.'

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 07:24:21 PM »
Since the new Super Mushroom makes Mario really big it might limit his movement into small spaces.  In those spaces the Starman would be useful.

Also, the new Super Mushroom might allow Mario to destroy blocks that he might need.

What if they had the standard Starman that made Mario invinsible without changing his size and the new Super(star) Mushroom (with star instead of spots) that made Mario invinsible and turned him into Superstar Mario.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 08:11:39 PM »
I still think it's better to just keep the regular Starman and the regular Super Mushroom.  I suppose if they wanted to they could add a new SUPER Mushroom that did the whole invincibility thing.  But I'd still like to keep the classics around.  After, that's pretty much what all the early games were based on.

Anyway, back on the topic of Mario Bros. DS, the fact that they havn't released any new info on the game kind of has me worried.  Like I said, they pretty much pulled the same thing with Mario 128 (which I think we can all agree is a doomed project).  I call it "Duke Nukem Forever" syndrome; company keeps promising to release a game soon, and yet it just never comes out.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 09:37:46 PM »
I'm wondering who "we all" is in this case.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 11:11:07 PM »
Nice sig, Chup.  Nice sig...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 12:27:39 AM »
Lol Ok ok, Chupperson called me on a technicality.  I guess I should say that I and a rather minute amount of people agree it's a doomed project.

Edited by - kamikaze koopa on 12/18/2004 10:28:34 PM

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 01:42:25 AM »
You can count me out of the "we all" and "rather minute amount of people" group.  I think the Mario 128 project is very much alive, but the end result may not be what I/we expect.  (The 100 Marios Game Cube demo is NOT Mario 128.)

Shigeru Miyamoto on Mario 128: "I believe that with this game you'll be able to feel the 'newness' that was missing from Mario Sunshine.  As for Mario Sunshine, it would be very easy to take the Sunshine engine and create a sequel to that but really right now what we're focussing on is what really is fun, and how can we take that and find a way to make it accessible to a much broader audience."

I wonder what 'newness' and 'accessible to a much broader audience' means.  They make me think of the DS touch screen, EyeToy, and DDR pad.  

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 09:57:26 PM »
Apparently I stand corrected in terms of Mario Bros DS.  Supposedly the release date has been set to February 25, 2005.  Here's the source if you wanna take a look.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4057

I don't know how trust worthy that news is, but it's better than nothing.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 10:11:01 PM »

Print