Print

Author Topic: Should there be a new Mario cartoon?  (Read 32548 times)

« on: June 22, 2005, 09:22:07 AM »
Will there be a new Mario cartoon for Foxbox or kidswb?

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:26:39 AM »
Does anybody know info about a new cartoon?

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:00:47 PM »
No, there isn't.
Any "scripts" you may have read from a mario anime series are bogus.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:54:57 PM »
Well if teenage mutant ninja turtles and Sonic got a new cartoon after 10 years.Mario should have a new cartoon it's only fair.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »
Even though a Mario cartoon would be cool. I kind of don't want it to happen. Because of some agreement, if there was an Anime about Nintendo characters, then 4Kids would automatically get the US rights to it. And 4Kids is the worst dub company in existence. They ruin everything. I'm sure they wouldn't even let Charles Martinet do Mario's voice. They'd just re-use their same old actors, and that would be torture to watch.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 08:51:38 PM »
yeah 4kids worse than funimation just look at one piece I love the manga but I just can't watch the anime Zoro or zolo getting slashed by mihawk and not even a single drop of blood so 4kids says that you can almost get killed by the greatest swordsman in the world and not even lose one drop of blood

YOSHIS RULE
OH SNAP, It's White Arrow!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 09:14:19 PM »
The shows are dubbed for American television.
It doesn't matter what company dubs them, if it is going to be shown on cartoon network or whatever, some shows have to be edited for content.
4kids and Funimation edit out blood and whatnot because the stations carrying those shows have a young target audience, not because they're on some mission to infuriate anime fans.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 09:09:31 AM »
Pfft, even if they did make a new cartoon, they wouldn't show it in the uk.. or at least for another 7 years till it's all old & dusty =(

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 04:35:08 PM »
I hate 4Kids. I hope if there is a new Mario cartoon, somehow the good people of America would become so enraged that they would force that stupid company to sell rights to something better. Heck, It wouldn't be so bad if Funimation got it. They at least let characters in DBZ bleed every now and then. God, please don't let 4Kids destroy another Anime!

I'm a-Luigi! Number-a one!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »
Haha, I found an old sig I had on another site:

Edited by - goodie on 6/23/2005 4:06:09 PM

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 06:08:22 PM »
Personally, if Mario got another animated series, I'd much prefer 4Kids to do it rather than DiC Entertainment. A quote from my cartoon parody fanfic:

"Oooguck! Flood!" Yoshi shivered. "Flood mean water. And I scared of water!"
"Really? I thought that only applied to your species' Isle Delfino branch. And please, Yoshi, don't talk like a baby!" Toadsworth pointed his staff.
"But Yoshi *is* a baby!" Yoshi cowered.
"No you're not; that was a stupid screw-up courtesy of the DiC producers!" Toadsworth complained. "I swear, they're worse than 4Kids! And if you ask me, 4Kids isn't really that bad."

Like Toadsworth said, 4Kids is NOT the worst dubbing company in existence. They're at least better at dubbing than DiC. (Remember what DiC did to "Sailor Moon"?) Besides, wasn't it 4Kids who gave us the new Ninja Turtles cartoon? (Besides, I feel offended when people bash 4Kids - it's like saying Japan's better than America in every way, which is not true.)
Super Mario Bros. are cool like sunglasses!

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 06:40:27 PM »
I don't think that Japan is better than America in any way, shape, or form. I just think we should put Anime all on one network, leave it undubbed, and let Americans do their job in the cartooning world. I don't want to start any fights, but the least 4Kids could have done is not screw up plot points to where the story is retarded.

I'm a-Luigi! Number-a one!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 09:17:48 PM »
I also hate that they change the music for no good reason. Also, they don't translate the words directly. They totally re-write the script from scratch, and throw in corny puns to make up for the original humor that they removed. Also, they are hypocrites for editing out violence in the Animes, when their own TMNT cartoon is often even more violent. What is so hard about directly-translating a show and leaving all the music and dialogue (minus any cussing) alone? It's like they want it to be garbage. Such things confuse me much... [end of rant]

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 09:41:53 PM »
You can't translate anime scripts directly, and expect what they say to match the mouth movements. I find that kind of work daunting,  and some times I'm extremely impressed how the companies do it. Other times I'm not. You mention corny puns and what not, and express distaste due to removing original humor. However, when showing these anime on television, they're being broadcasted to a wide audience, which doesn't have as much of an understanding of Japanese culture as the more "hardcore" anime fanatics. Since said humor is often based on Japanese linguistics there's not much dubbers can do but remove them in favor of humor English speakers would understand. Unfortunately this often results in a poor quality joke, but sometimes I've been surprised by how clever some of the writers can be.

As for music I have no answer, and find it frustration as well. However, I do know that sometimes it's difficult to get the rights to the music, or the price is higher than the company is willing to pay. I'm not fond of it either, but it's the way of the world. Of course, there's always the case of Pokémon, where most of the music is kept, but certain songs are changed, usually due to Japanese lyrics. This sort of changing I can understand.

The situation with violence isn't always up to the company dubbing the show, which is why you sometimes see uncut versions of anime released. That decision often falls on the network who has bought the rights to the play the show, like Cartoon Network, Fox, and what not. Depending on what block the network is going to show the anime, certain scenes need to be edited. I'm all for uncut anime, but you need to understand there are rules and regulations in the industry. So, as long as anime remains in its original form on DVDs, I'm happy.

4Kids is hardly the worst company out there, and I think they do a great of casting voices. A job I would say rivals pre-Cartoon Network FUNimation. But localized Anime is going to be butchered, regardless of who, what, when and where. There's no use in getting angry about it.

Edited by - Black Mage on 6/23/2005 8:42:44 PM

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 10:56:43 PM »
I agree that DIC is the much worse dubbing company than 4Kids. At least 4Kids uses very talents voice actors (Liza Ortiz, Veronica Taylor, Eric Sturat, Tara Jayne, Rachel Lillis) and they leave in orginl music sometimes. I hate how they change things, but they do it so that little kids who know nothing aboutthe orgianl cam enjoy it. I hat eit when they botch up a series, but what can you do. That's why i watch loads of anime on DVD. It's costly, but that way I can watch alot of series uncut, unedited, and dubbed to boot!

A Mario cartoon? I don't know, especaily since i have the vaguest memories of the originals

Random Manga Quote:
"How can I be in love with a girl who crams bamboo sticks up her nose?!"--Chiharu Eniwa. Girl Got Game volume 7.
Random Anime Quote: "Wiggle, Squiggle! Look, I'm a mollusk!"
--Freesia Yagyu, Jubei-Chan 2 episode 3.

Print