Print

Author Topic: Should there be a new Mario cartoon?  (Read 32660 times)

Jman

• Score
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
I agree with MW.  I remember the glory days of both of those networks.  Thankfully, I have Boomerang so I can relive the greatest cartoons ever made.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2006, 11:12:16 PM »
Should there be a new one? Have I missed something, when has there ever been a Mario cartoon?  I mean I think it would be cool, but has there been one that I have missed?

Yeah, you missed about 3 of them by about ten years.

I'd have to agree with Nintendo Maximus on no original characters. I've seen quite enough VG cartoons where original characters bring down the quality of the show. Plus, they usually fill a role that can already be filled by an existing character.

Also I am envious of Jman and Ultima Shadow who have access to the awesome classics. I mean, I don't have Boomerang but I'd be willing to pay 20 extra bucks for it if it means I can watch the Batman/Superman adventures again.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2006, 11:56:09 PM »
Yeah, but all these other shows are flooding Cartoon Network, like Camp Lazlo and Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. AGH!

As for a Mario cartoon, I'd only watch it if it had good storylines aimed at slightly higher age groups. That's one of the main reasons I dislike the Pokemon anime.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
Thank you Mr. Wiggles for the bad news. :(

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2006, 05:59:49 AM »
I used to have Boomerang, and there are times I wish I still had it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2007, 09:45:52 PM »
I'm actually planning to one day make a Mario Bros. cartoon. I'm not gonna lie...I'm still hammering out many details, but it should please many people in different ways.

This is gonna be long, but bear with me. I have been working on it and it gets me excited to talk about it.

I haven't decided on a true title, but I'm considering just "Adventures of the Super Mario Bros."

It would be based more on the games than the previous cartoons.

The premise of the show would be about our two favorite plumbers from Brooklyn finding a big green pipe in their backyard, accidentally falling in, and coming out in a completely different world known as the Mushroom Kingdom.

I plan for it to have a lot of episodes with original storylines. However, there will also be groups of episodes joined by one storyline. These groups will be known as "Chapters" in the entire storyline of the show. Practically all of these will be based on the games. (For example, the "Super Mario Bros." chapter will take place from the first episode (where Mario and Luigi discover the Mushroom Kingdom) to the episode where they rescue Princess Peach.)

I plan for the show to be aimed at a target audience of about 7 or so years or older. It would probably have animation similar to Teen Titans (Western style animation with occasional Anime tidbits). The show will also be more action oriented and more violent than previous stuff. (Kinda like a toned down Dragonball Z)

By just existing in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario and Luigi will gain special powers. Mario will get enhanced strength and the famous ability to shoot fire from his hands. Luigi will gain enhanced leg strength, enabling him to run faster and jump higher. However, they lose these powers whenever they return to Brooklyn.

And did I mention characters!? Since it will be based heavily on the games, it will probably be host to a ton of the already existing characters.

For example, just to name the main ones, we have Mario (the only man who will stare a fire breathing monster right in the eye if an innocent princess is involved), Luigi (just as much determination as his brother...until he gets a good look at what all the toads are afraid of), Peach (the kind ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom who seems to also have an eye for heroic plumbers), Daisy (tomboyish, sassy, quick to anger, and the only princess that carries a baseball bat wherever she goes), and Bowser (the ruler of the Koopa Kingdom with a soft spot for Peach).

I also wish to include Bowser Jr. as a character. Now before I get attacked by Jr. haters, let me say that I will also include some certain other characters...7 certain other characters...give up?? (Dramatic pause) THE KOOPALINGS!!!

There will also be many others, as well as very few original characters of mine. One being the Goomba Commander (the overly confident (but still a shrimp) head of Bowser's goomba army. An orange goomba with a grey gladiator helmet that makes him look like a crushed Marvin the Martian when he gets stomped on.)

Here is a list of voice actors that I think will do good. If the actor's name has a (?) next to it, it means that I'm thinking about it. I haven't even decided on some.

Mario: Jeff Bennett
Luigi: (I could try to do his voice in a slight Bruce Campbell-esque style)
Peach: Hynden Walch (?) (Starfire's voice actor on Teen Titans)
Daisy: Tara Strong
Bowser: (I practice his voice a lot. Hope I could voice him.)
Kamek: Rodger Bumpass (Squidward's voice actor on SpongeBob SquarePants)
General Guy: John DiMaggio(?) Maybe, Maybe not.
Goomba Commander: Patrick Warburton
Wario: (My best friend can do a good Wario voice...but if not him...) Jim Cummings (?)
Waluigi: Jim Cummings (?)
Mona: Ashley Johnson (Terra's voice actor on Teen Titans)
Ashley: Tara Strong
Red: Undecided
Jimmy T.: Kevin Michael Richardson
Bowser Jr.: Tara Strong
Larry Koopa: Undecided
Wendy O. Koopa: (Possibly her (Kootie Pie's) voice actor from the previous shows)
Iggy Koopa: Undecided (I want to voice him)
Lemmy Koopa: Undecided (I want to voice him. Possibly in a hippie accent(?))
Morton Koopa Jr.: Jason Marsden(?) or Billy West(?)
Roy Koopa: (Possibly his (Bully's) voice actor from the previous shows)
Ludwig Von Koopa: Will Friedle
Yoshi: (Frank Welker might be good)

These are just a fraction of all my ideas. I would like to hear what other people think. Would it be worth watching or is it junk. I only have my own opinion, my best friend's, and possibly one other person's. I could also use suggestions or constructive criticism.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Even though there were a lot of words in that post, this really really feels like a bump.
That was a joke.

« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2007, 01:01:32 PM »
Ah, a new Mario cartoon would pretty cool!

I like that plan Jordan, though maybe not the Teen Titans-esque part of it.. I never really liked how Teen Titans tried so hard to look anime when clearly it wasn't.

If it were done in the Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga style on the other hand, I'd be all for it. :)
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »
Ah, a new Mario cartoon would pretty cool!

I like that plan Jordan, though maybe not the Teen Titans-esque part of it.. I never really liked how Teen Titans tried so hard to look anime when clearly it wasn't.

If it were done in the Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga style on the other hand, I'd be all for it. :)

I have actually planned for the character designs to reflect the Mario & Luigi style.

Don't worry. It wouldn't be much like Teen Titans (I just needed something to compare it to). You could imagine a Western animation style similar to Teen Titans, but with WAY less anime elements. The most you could expect to see would be my idea for Luigi's scared/freaked out look: tiny pupils and a mouth so wide open it is almost as big as his head (Wellll...that and Daisy pulling a baseball bat out of hammerspace). Other than that, anime elements would be kept to a bare minimal.

By the way, it's not Jordan. I made my name by combining parts of my first and middle name (Joseph Daniel Navarrete). Jo + Dan = Jodan. I also thought adding 007 sounded cool. I'm not mad or anything...I just thought I'd point that out.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »
How will the Warioware characters fit into this?

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2007, 03:32:25 PM »
I dunno, it seems like a pretty good idea to me. I'd like to see a new Mario cartoon.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »
How will the Warioware characters fit into this?

I'm thinking of taking it slowly.

Wario and Waluigi will eventually appear as two Brooklyn plumbers who have saved up enough money to accomplish a childhood dream: building a castle. But they don't know where to build it. It is only after they witness the Marios going down the warp pipe that they follow them and decide to build it in the Mushroom Kingdom. (In case you were wondering, Wario and Waluigi will mainly be the same as we know them: Vain, Greedy, and Stupid. Also, poor Waluigi won't get any powers, but Wario will get his famous Herculean strength)

(Note: The WarioWare characters will mainly interact with Wario, but will occasionally interact with the Mario characters from time to time)

Mona is a girl living alone in Brooklyn with a job at Mona Pizza. However, the money's not making much of a difference. As a result, she loses her apartment. However, upon learning this, Wario does probably the only nice thing in his life. He lets her live with him in his castle in the Mushroom Kingdom. (Mona will play the role of the straight man(girl?) to Wario and Waluigi. Also, for the Wario/Mona shippers, I will imply a relation between them. Other than that, she will mostly be the same)

Jimmy T. will also be from Brooklyn. However, he becomes good friends with the Wario gang and ends up going to the Mushroom Kingdom from time to time. There will be no major changes to his character.

The other WarioWare characters will be Mushroom Kingdom inhabitants.

Ashley and Red will mostly stay the same. However, I will expand upon Ashley's personality a bit. She will become a little more likable and will smile more often (Don't get angry so soon. When Ashley smiles, things happen). I also wish to add a little more humor to her character by making her addicted to chocolate. (I pity the fool who tries to eat Ashley's candy bar)

Dr. Crygor, Mike, Dribble, Spitz, Orbulon, Kat, and Ana will be exactly the same as we know them. Once I know a little more about her, I will consider adding Penny to the bunch. (I only own WarioWare: Touched. I have never played any other WarioWare games. I want to though...I especially want Smooth Moves to add to my small Wii collection)

I'm not sure if Young Cricket should be in there. However, since I have yet to even play Smooth Moves, this is subject to change.

I'm also trying to figure if 9-Volt and 18-Volt should have a place too.

But for sure, Wario will eventually gain his alter-ego: Wario-Man!

Man...I forgot how much I had actually gone and planned. But anyway, I hope this sounds good.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »
You know, Jo. I once had an idea that was strikingly similar to yours, except that instead of a pipe in their yard, the Mario Bros. found a rainbow-colored portal in their basement. Said portal was actually based on the ones that appear after you beat all four clubs and receive Peach's invitation in Mario Golf for the GBC.  I always though that's how the Mushroom Kingdom was connected to the human world. The whole drainpipe theory stems from the old TV show. My idea was to base it almost directly on the games, with a lot of service to the fans.

Anyway, my idea was a bit more serialized, with each season being a "saga" based on a "big" Mario game. I was thinking there'd be specials and movie events for some of the bigger or more intriguing moments in Mario history, like some sort of Mario Kart special, or a three-part episode/telemovie based on Super Mario 64 or something. In addition, I thought maybe Wario could appear in a few episodes of the series and later get his own spin-off series which goes to WarioWare.

I was also thinking of maybe having a theatrical film based on Yoshi's Island, that acts as a prelude to the entire series. I also thought such a film should be a major creative endeavor, like having striking and imaginative art direction based on the game's graphics and having little to no dialog except for what Kamek says from time to time. I got the idea when I was playing Yoshi Touch and Go, and thought the calming music during the Baby Mario segments would make for a very Fantasia-esque animated opening sequence to a Yoshi's Island based movie.

And about a year ago, I spoke of an idea for some sort of anime series that shows how Mario and Luigi became who they are. It was called "Super Mario: Plumbing Academy" and was sort of similar in concept to Naruto or the US cartoon Xiaolin Showdown, almost a parody of it. The premise of the show was to have a young Mario and Luigi being sent off by their father to an academy for aspiring plumbers, except that said academy would turn out to hide a great many fantastic secrets. I guess the show would have to have some original characters, like fellow plumbing students and teachers, each of which with their on unique quirks (sorta like Mucha Lucha, if you've ever seen it). Also appearing would be Wario, the resident bully who Mario stands up to, and a certain Pauline, who Mario develops an affection for. Maybe Stanley would make a cameo as a student in a neighboring exterminator academy. Later on in the series, Mario and Luigi would discover an army of monstrous turtles building what appears to be an advanced sewage network underneath the school using some sort of bright green/multicolored metal, and find out that they're from some faraway kingdom in another dimension that was found long ago by their great grandfather, who was the cause of Warp Pipe technology being developed.  That was about as far as I got with that idea.

Other than these, I thought that maybe there could be a resurgence of cartoons based on Nintendo properties (we already got Pokemon, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby and F-Zero GP Legend) such as Zelda and Metroid and later there'd be a Justice League-style crossover cartoon rooted after Smash Bros.

I'm pathetic, aren't I? XP

« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
Chef, you are not pathetic. In fact, I'd say we are sailing in the same boat.

Like I said, I have only put up a fraction of my ideas. Many of them are similar to yours. Many of the episodes in my idea will be either original plots or clusters of episodes based on games (Such as Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, etc).

Like you, I am also thinking of including specials and movies. The Mario Kart special that I had in mind would involve someone making a mechanical racecar that has the driving skills worthy of 100 gold trophies. Unfortunately it has an extra feature: a huge bomb that will go off if it finishes first in an upcoming race. This would force the good guys to aim for first place in order to prevent harm from coming to the spectators. However, the badder racers (Such as Bowser and Wario) cheat by using weapons and such (that ought to add a whole new degree of difficulty).

I also do plan to include Pauline. She will be Mario's old girlfriend from Brooklyn. This would cause a big set of problems for Mario's relationship with Peach because even though he and Pauline are staying friends, they act like they're engaged or something.

One thing I came up with was taking Non-Canon characters and giving them a place. My best one is my idea for Metal Mario. He will be a being from another planet entirely. After landing like a meteor, he decides to go around and battle literally anybody to show off how powerful he is. His character could be compared to Doomsday (The DC character famous for killing Superman). He can give even Bowser a punch that could send him across his castle and he can take as much as he recieves. His only weaknesses seem to be his mind (he always acts and rarely thinks) and his weight (throw him in a lake and he'll sink to the bottom). He will get his name from the residents of the Mushroom Kingdom because he just happens to look almost exactly like Mario.

You have some good ideas too. You wouldn't happen to have anymore, would you? They sound great!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »
Well... my Mario Kart special was almost entirely based around Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races. There's be a big cast of characters, and the guys like Wario and Bowser would be the big cheaters, even though weapons like shells are perfectly legal in the circuit, and it would probably end with a shocker, like the trophy being given to this one little Goomba that's only seen from time to time, simply driving along on his own accord, without even trying to stop the other racers, or something like that.

I once thought up a big special that parodies the DC universe. It was the Death of Superman, and it dealt with Mario being killed, except nobody knows how. Those close to him still believe that he's alive, and suddenly four other characters show up claiming to be Mario... Metal Mario (an evil creature from another world, sorta like your idea), Baby Mario(Mario's past self, who showed up in the future by accident), Dr. Mario(an enhanced clone of Mario with advanced intelligence) and Shadow Mario (a being that was actually separated from Mario's body and symbolizes his dark side). If anything, this would make a good conclusion to the series.

I was thinking of how Mario Party could be incorporated into the series as a special, and I figured they could be some type of anniversary episodes. I remembered how when I got the first Mario Party, it managed to cram so much Mario stuff into game that almost could've been a crossover platformer featuring the best of the best (Super Mario Forever). That would be the idea behind it. A retrospective on all the episodes that came before it.

I can't think of many more ideas now, but I will say that I thought the main series should be begin with a movie-length special that's mostly based on the old "Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach" movie from Japan. Some things would have to changed around to accommodate my ideas and the current portrayal of the series, though.

Print