Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1710431 times)

« Reply #630 on: August 19, 2006, 02:58:13 PM »
Yes, your right.  I was just thinking specifically of this one guy who I know (no one here).  Keep in mind, this was no way a hit on atheists, just people who disregard others beliefs as fairy tale (which, yes, could be other religions).
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #631 on: August 19, 2006, 03:32:44 PM »
I'm feeling quite angst as well, not only because of Kappa Mikey, but because of my inability to talk to women. Every time I try to walk up to one and ask her a simple question (and this is even worse for girls that are cute) I clam up and say something so utterly stupid that I feel bad for the rest of my life. Why am I so shy around girls? My friends tease me about it, and afterwords they try to give me advice. But I just end up totally blowing it the next time. I hate it so much! I hate being shy around women!

Groan.................well, at least it's not all bad. I'm a real cut-up around my friends, only because they're guys and I'm not trying to impress them. Still, I don't think I'll ever get over this.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »
Steve's post reminds me of my "stereotype of Hollywood Marriage" that I posted way back when.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #633 on: August 20, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
Nothing big, but a bunch of little stuff made today less than great.  First, my ear buds busted, so now I have one side working, the other just sending sparks if I put it in my ear.  It really hurt, so I just cut the dead side off, and I'll have to go buy new ones tomorrow.  Also, my mother was in a bad mood, angry at my father.  So, of course, everyone in the house got yelled at for the small things they did, or, in our case, didn't do.  Also, I unscrewed the the lightbulb from my desk lamp, which was dead, and I dropped it into my lap, where it rolled off, and shattered under my desk.  I got most of the large pieces, but I'm just waiting for one of the slivers to pierce my foot. 

Oh, and after a few years with cable internet, I truly hate trying to work with dial-up.  I'm going to ask my father about how I should go about getting cable in my room, though I doubt anything will happen.  I can't complain about it too much, though, since I'm glad to finally have some form of internet in my room.  But, alas, that's for a different topic...if I'm ever able to get there at this slow pace.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #634 on: August 21, 2006, 12:54:52 AM »
Wow, a LiveJournal-worthy ANGST post from me!

My father's been quite irrational/childish today.

Earlier he yelled my brother's name. My brother couldn't hear him, as he was blasting his music. Next, he yells my name. Wanting to know why, I gave a firm "What?". His reply being my name again, I repeated myself. He then said to "come down here". I opened the door, and I repeated myself the third time. He says "Help me move this", referring to a very heavy dining room table. He said this in a very rude tone, not a friendly, fatherly "Could you please assist me in moving this?". Because of that (and the fact that I didn't want to carry/move something that heavy), I replied "no".

Knowing that I don't have to if I don't want to, I was about to close my door when he shouted "not 'no', help me!". I asked "Why can't you get Dan to help you?", his reply being "Because I asked you".

"No dad, I do not want to help you."

He then proceeds to insult me, and threaten to not take me to Pizza Hut (we had dinner there today) or remove my TV. Not being intimidated, I said "Oh, you're taking me, and you're not removing my TV, either".

"Wanna bet?", he asked. I failed to answer, mainly because it was a stupid question.

Later, I go downstairs to sit on the couch to wait to go. Later still, my brother comes down as well, and my father resumes insulting me, telling him that I'm "good for [nothing]", and that he wants to punish me. After telling dad that he was being irrational, he continues to insult me, saying that I HAD to help him. I then explain to him that if I don't want to, I don't have to, and have done nothing wrong. I was now quite annoyed at my father's childishness.

Mom asks me why I'm downstairs and not upstairs entertaining myself. I said "I'm waiting to go to Pizza Hut", and my father said "who said you're going?". Again, no answer from me because it was a stupid question.

He also started yelling at mom, asking why she's wearing pants and not shorts, because, you know, it's against the law to wear pants during the summer. He feels his summer is unpure or something if people don't wear summer clothing. I personally don't have any shorts myself.

She asks "why are you yelling at me?" three times in three different ways, and I replied "Because dad's an idiot" all three times, getting louder and more annoyed in tone each time.

Finally, we left for Pizza Hut, and enjoyed dinner there.

I have many valid points on why I'm not the bad guy in this situation, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't feel sympathy for my father. He got someone else to help him move the table. Good for him. He has this mentality that WE (his children) should be doing the housework for him because his father forced him to do so as a child, while his father would watch TV or read the newspaper in his favorite chair while his mother cooked dinner in the kitchen.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #635 on: August 21, 2006, 01:13:50 AM »
*scratches his head*

I'm confused. Either you are a bad writer or you made yourself seem like an ungrateful brat that deserves to be treated badly on purpose. A third option must be eluding me.

« Reply #636 on: August 21, 2006, 07:02:21 AM »
Um, I'd have to agree with TEM on this, Vidgmchtr. Even if you couldn't have lifted the dining table, it's still proper to go down and help anyway. When your father saw you couldn't move the table, he would let you go back to your room. Plus, what if your dad had a bad back? I know he didn't, but I'm just saying what if he did. Would you say no to him than?

...Sorry if I sounded like a nagging teacher.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #637 on: August 21, 2006, 09:40:33 AM »
He didn't need to curse me out afterward. *sigh*

I guess you could forget it, the anger has long since subsided in the both of us. Say I was the jerk in this situation, fine, I don't care, I still believe I did nothing wrong.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #638 on: August 21, 2006, 11:01:59 AM »
Sounds like my uncle. He uses similar methods of dealing with his kids. And they work.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #639 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:05 PM »
I think you should have done it because he is our father, and he asked you for help. That in and of itself is worthy of respect. Moreover: would it have killed you to take 5 minutes and move a table?
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #640 on: August 21, 2006, 03:02:13 PM »
He did not "ask" for help. There's a difference between "Son, do you think you could help me move this?" and "HELP ME MOVE THIS!".

Look, I'm not going to act all emo about this. Yes, he is my father, a person I should respect. But a person who can't even remember my age, makes childish, shallow comments about people who look less than pretty/normal, laughs at his children if they talk like an adult to him, and CURSES HIS OWN SON OUT (many examples of this, not just after I said "no" to him), is not someone I'd look highly upon.

He loves me like a son, yes, and I love him like a father, yes. Does he respect me? No. Should I give him respect even though he doesn't, and while he still has all those faults? I've tried to, believe me, I have, but my patience has run out.

Again though, my anger with that situation has long since subsided (though it may not look that way, seeing as you guys have done the opposite of what I requested at the end of that post).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:04:44 PM by Vidgmchtr »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #641 on: August 21, 2006, 03:05:19 PM »
I'm with you, Vid. Seems like your father really overreacted there.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #642 on: August 21, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »
Again though, my anger with that situation has long since subsided (though it may not look that way, seeing as you guys have done the opposite of what I requested at the end of that post).

Sorry, Vid. I'll (or we'll) stop now.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #643 on: August 21, 2006, 04:26:49 PM »
Now Vid's father sounds like my Aunt, who acts in a similar manner toward her children.

« Reply #644 on: August 21, 2006, 04:59:26 PM »
*sigh* I love my father more than anything else in the world, so naturally, when he asks for my help, I do everything I can to do so. Besides, it's times like that where I can really get to sit down (or stand up and work rather) and talk to him about life. I think it's enjoyable to get the chance to work with my dad. I'm not saying Vid's wrong not to help his father, it's just hard for me to agree with him.

Angst things that happened to me today...................hmmmmm. Nope. Can't think of anything. I had an awesome day!

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print