Print

Author Topic: Is Game Boy dead?  (Read 29499 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:26:12 AM »
I know, on our hearts, the Game Boy is far, far from dead. And from a sales standpoint, you can still milk the GBA for all it's worth with Berenstein Bears Xtreme Sports and The Ant Bully. But to me, it looks like Nintendo's given up on it. At E3 they never once mentioned the GBA, favoring the Wii and DS above everything else (even the GameCube). They mentioned making a new Game Boy, but it seems they meant the GB Micro, which is just a GBA rehash. Really, it looks like the Game Boy franchise is all but dead. The original Game Boy lasted, like, nine years. But it seems Nintendo's given up on the GBA a mere five years into its lifespan. Why?
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »
DS was successful enough that they've pushed everything towards that and Wii, ignoring GBA and GC (a little odd since GBA was still doing better in the US than DS).  However, third parties haven't given up on it yet.  There are a ton of games still slated for release, dominated by RPGs and movie/TV-licensed games.  There are many good Nintendo-published games that have so far only been released in Japan that NOA could release, though I don't know if they ever will.  The DS's success has probably put their plans for the next GB on hold (though they say they're always trying out new projects, somebody just has to come along and say "release it.")  It's hard to say when they might release a new Game Boy now.  The DS was effectively the new Game Boy, it's just that Nintendo didn't want to use that brand name in case it failed.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 01:10:48 PM »
Well I say Nintendo should at least make a Mario Platformer for GBA And No,The Game Boy is not dead,But anyways I think that they should make a true Mario Platformer,Not just a remake of a clasic,Then once they make a Mario Platformer they can stop it with so many freaking Game Boy Advances.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:59:03 PM »
They just made one for the DS. There really is no need for them to make a new one for the GBA, considering what Glorb and MEGABYTE just said.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 03:38:06 PM »
Well the DS is not another Gameboy so they do need to.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 09:47:34 PM »
I think it's starting to go on the way side. After the DS and soon the Wii, it'll be forgotten. For no one would want to buy it, there for no more manufacturing. I guess they could make a new one and have a new "revolution" (har har) of the Gameboy. Hey why not use Revoltuion for the new game boy, that would rawk.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:27:47 AM »
Well the DS is not another Gameboy so they do need to.
The DS was effectively the new Game Boy, it's just that Nintendo didn't want to use that brand name in case it failed.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 04:46:49 AM »
Uhh, this is kind of asking "Why are there no new N64 games?" Come on, the DS has been out for 2 years. How will the DS be successful if Nintendo focuses on the GBA? Yes, eventually the whole GameBoy empire will be obsolete except to us hardcore gamers who keep our stuff no matter how outdated it is, but that'll still be OK with me. Nintendo's on to bigger and better things.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 01:38:45 PM »
I very much agree that the Game Boy is fading away. I mean, look up one of the best sellers lists for the GBA in a past issue of NP, and you'll find the #1 selling game as Dora the Explorer. I was about to have a heart attack I was so furious. But, the DS is much better than the GBA, and it still plays all of your favorite GBA games, which is one of the reasons the GBA and it's games are not selling.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 10:32:28 AM by Mr.Melee »
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 02:26:17 PM »
Actually, the DS didn't surpass GBA sales in the US until just last month.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 02:30:53 PM »
That's still a notable feat, as the GBA/SP and it's games have been around for, what, six years? And the DS and it's games have been around for less than half that amount. Also, as long as the DS is surpassing the PSP in sales, I'm sure Nintendo will focus on it more than the GBA.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 06:23:53 PM »
Hmm, it's been what, 5 years now since GBA, right?

When the Wii comes out it just might kill the GBA.

Well not really kill, but they'll probably stop making GBA games by then.

Senior Mariology professor

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 01:31:50 AM »
Wii isn't a portable system.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 05:01:35 AM »
Nothing can "kill" GBA. I don't see why this is a concern... if you have a DS, you'll want DS games to be made for it. But there must be GBA games you missed; buy 'em on eBay or wherever else you can find them, if you want. But why do we want more games made for it? Whatever can be put in a GBA game would be better on a DS. Like M&L:PiT for example. It could just as easily been put on the GBA instead of the DS. But... why? The extra screen just made things more convenient. Yeah, I know, DS-less people will miss out (why someone would be without a DS is beyond me) but you could invest in one like you should.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 12:24:34 PM »
The other day a guy who was loitering around where I work was saying that the DS was "Nintendo's wannabe PSP imitation" or something. I was quite perplexed. I asked him why it had two screens and a touch screen if that were the case. He had no useful reply.
That was a joke.

Print