Print

Author Topic: Sonic The Hedgehog CD (FINISHED AT PART 29!) (4/18/09)  (Read 2340 times)

« on: April 12, 2009, 01:01:18 PM »
Sonic CD is what IHMO call the quintessential CD-based 2D Sonic game. If that sounds too high-phrased to anyone, its because there really is no other Sonic game of its kind. I personally find the time concept ahead of its time as a Sonic game. If I had never played or heard of Sonic CD before during the GEN/MD era, and I was a Saturn owner waiting for a true Sonic game at the time, I would have expected the time concept to have shown up in a Sonic 4. I have no idea if that makes any sense, so don't argue with me. So yeah, basically I would have expected such a concept to arise later in time.

For anyone's enjoyment, or if you've absolutely nothing better to do, which was sort of the case with me. I'd like to show my YouTube PEMNAS playthough in order of how I played it. I personally love this game.

Here's the Playlist:
(Part 1) Start Up + Palmtree Panic Zone 1
(Part 2) First Special Stage
(Part 3) Palmtree Panic Zone 2
(Part 4) Second Special Stage
(Part 5) Palmtree Panic Zone 3
(Part 6) Collision Chaos Zone 1
(Part 7) Third Special Stage
(Part 8) Collision Chaos Zone 2
(Part 9) Fourth Special Stage
(Part 10) Collision Chaos Zone 3
(Part 11) Tidal Tempest Zone 1
(Part 12) Fifth Special Stage
(Part 13) Tidal Tempest Zone 2
(Part 14) Sixth Special Stage
(Part 15) Tidal Tempest Zone 3
(Part 16) Quartz Quadrant Zone 1
(Part 17) Quartz Quadrant Zone 2
(Part 18) Seventh AND Final Special Stage
(Part 19) Quartz Quadrant Zone 3
(Part 20) Wacky Workbench Zone 1
(Part 21) Wacky Workbench Zone 2
(Part 22) Wacky Workbench Zone 3
(Part 23) Stardust Speedway Zone 1
(Part 24) Stardust Speedway Zone 2
(Part 25) Stardust Speedway Zone 3
(Part 26) Metallic Madness Zone 1
(Part 27) Metallic Madness Zone 2
(Part 28) Metallic Madness Zone 3 & FINAL FEVER!
(Part 29 / THE END) Cosmic Eternity - Good Ending

The playthrough consists of individual videos, each containing a Zone and a Special Stage between each of them. Also, PEMNAS stands for "PLEASE EXCUSE MY NOOB ASS SKILLS". I invented the term myself. Its created to separate my videos from being called a Speed-Run (its not meant to be one) or a walkthrough. Its really just to show others my average-level game skillz in da game. I know, its probably a stupid little gimmick but I just felt like being creative. Whatever.

FINISHED!! Thanks for watching everyone!!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 10:47:27 PM by Keiji Dragon »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »
Aside from being the quintessential one, isn't it the only CD-based 2D Sonic game?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »
I think I've heard of this before and, well, it's definitely pretty dang cool.

Also, PEMNAS FTW.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »
Yay, Sonic CD!
What a coincidence: I just re-re-...-re-played through the game not a week ago!  I just love the overall feel of it...
I love the levels, I love how well all the different environments are conveyed, I love seeing all the changes - from subtle to drastic - each level undergoes as you warp, I love the pointless little secrets and dead-ends hidden everywhere, I love how all the enemies in the bad future are old and broken, I love how the sky flashes in the Wacky Workbench's past, I love pressing a button while warping to the past so that the warp sound mixes so beautifully with the past music, I love the otherworldly feel of all of the special stages, I love the fiendish trickery involved in hunting down the "hamburgers"...
Man, I love this game.  It's a shame it never really got the respect it deserved.  I guess its being on a failed system will do that.
Go Moon!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
It's times like this that I wish Sonic's franchise hadn't gone down the crapper. It really had tons of potential as far as I'm concerned.

Print