Print

Author Topic: Metroid: Other M  (Read 23693 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRMBerJtJjM

I'm liking the new take on Ridley's Theme.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:29 PM »
Though it's odd that one of the game's chief gimmicks appears to be "hey, we're putting effort into storytelling!", I'm still very eager for this one.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
I'm actually feeling this game less and less every time I see more info on it, to the point where I was surprised to remember I was the one who made this topic.

I realize it's a new direction, blah blah blah, but it doesn't seem like a direction Metroid needs. 3D Metroid works because it's very possible to translate the game's style into 3D. But Metroid was never about epic storytelling and fast-paced hardcore action and chokeslams and fighting alongside space marines. As cool as those things are, they just don't seem to fit into the Metroid equation at all.

Of course, I'm quite ready to swallow my words and, honestly, I hope I will, once the game actually rolls around.
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
EDIT: Oops.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:42:17 PM by Turtlekid1 »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 01:42:23 PM »
Apparently the Nightmare returns is retroactively introduced; Ridley is back (of course); and Phantoon is a bonus boss(!).

Also, this game has been getting very mixed reviews.  There's G4, who gave it a 2/5 for "sexism" and turning Samus into a "whiny, submissive b****," and then there are a lot of sites giving it 6.5/10, and then there are the ones giving it good reviews.  I saw a 9/10 somewhere, I believe.  The fans are definitely being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of character development and increased storyline focus (or at least the folks over at Metroid2K2 are, but they're the pr0s who tend to not care about any elements of the series that don't help them get a better time), and the mixed reviews only serve to add to the confusion.  I myself am not convinced that it's going to be a bad thing (I am convinced that Nintendo hates the Gravity Suit and non-linear gameplay).

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
Instead of the purple add-ons to the Varia Suit, the lights on the chest will now glow purple to indicate that the Gravity upgrade is in effect.

I am ok with this. The screen cap they took and the purple glow around Samus looks really cool.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 05:02:25 PM »
B-but the Varia Suit is so... orange.  And ugly.  And the new Gravity Suit isn't a suit, it's a DBZ Aura.  :|

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »
*Doesn't read spoiler text*

I'm going to go with the raving fanboys at GoNintendo for once, and say that G4's just trollin' for TV-hits and this game will be great.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »
What the heck is this?  It's one thing to have Samus show emotion, but for her to be so terrified of someone whose @$$ she's kicked on multiple occasions is ridiculous.

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »
It's no different than how Mario usually reacts with shock upon encountering Bowser, really.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Didn't Ridley attempt to kill her when she was just a child? I would get a bit freaked out seeing someone/something who has/had attempted to kill me..

Every Mario game is a remake of SMB. Thus why Mario shows no surprise upon learning that Bowser has made off with the Princess. :p
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:34 AM »
What the heck is this?  It's one thing to have Samus show emotion, but for her to be so terrified of someone whose @$$ she's kicked on multiple occasions is ridiculous.

It's Ridley. I wouldn't be thinking about Samus being afraid or Samus thinking he was destroyed last time. Ridley just by himself makes me hesitant to open that one door that leads to his lair. He may not be the final boss of any Metroid game, but he's the most prominent, one of the most well-known, in most cases probably thought of as the real final boss.

Ridley deserves all the hoopla and elaborate setups that make him out to be some legendary beast. Unlike Bowser who half the time is a joke (pals with Mario or a brute who's goofy or can't be taken seriously), Ridley is who Bowser used to be: a legitimate threat, someone who's very rewarding to defeat. Except for his pitiful self in Metroid Zero Mission, but I pretend he didn't exist there.

Instead of the purple add-ons to the Varia Suit, the lights on the chest will now glow purple to indicate that the Gravity upgrade is in effect.

Ugh. You know, there was nothing wrong with purple. Back in Super Metroid, what with the generally dark colors used, purple was quite refreshing and looked cool. Make it dark blue if you have to. I guess purple lights are better than nothing, but it's still a shame to not have that famous look around in full. On the other hand, it might make sense to keep Samus orange so she has an easier time standing out from her surroundings.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:42 AM »
It's no different than how Mario usually reacts with shock upon encountering Bowser, really.
Hyperventilating and panic != surprise.

Didn't Ridley attempt to kill her when she was just a child? I would get a bit freaked out seeing someone/something who has/had attempted to kill me..
That's what doesn't make any sense.  She has proven time and again that she's Ridley's superior in combat.  It might've made sense in the original Metroid, but here?

And I know I'm being overly fanboyant about it all.  But still.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:36 AM »
For those you whining about the Gravity Suit, I'm pretty sure the only reason they did that was so Samus would always look the same between the real game and the cutscenes.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
For those you whining about the Gravity Suit, I'm pretty sure the only reason they did that was so Samus would always look the same between the real game and the cutscenes.
They couldn't have just had the Gravity Suit appear in cutscenes taking place after it was acquired?

Print