Print

Author Topic: Retro Collectors  (Read 7835 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: July 18, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
So I recently reached the conclusion that the majority of new games really don't do it for me anymore, and that I want to start collecting older games. I just picked up a Dreamcast and an original Playstation. Eventually I want to work my way all the way down to the Famicom Disk System. I've already had an impressive Game & Watch collection (real ones), plus all my Nintendo systems, so right now I've got my eyes on getting an Atari 2600 and a Sega Genesis. Anyone else ever get into this? Also, any ideas of where I could look around for stuff besides ebay?
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 06:54:23 PM »
I totally would if I had any money.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
I've always wanted to start doing retro collecting--I already have a fair amount of old games and systems, though not necessarily for the explicit purpose of retro collection.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:58:47 PM »
Have you ever considered simply downloading a compendium of classic games onto an emulator, or does their questionable legality have you (understandably) weary? Emulation would just be much, much gentler on your wallet, Forest Guy. SNES9x is da bomb, by the way. I'd still be playing it to this day hadn't it been for the Wii's Virtual Console.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:01:07 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 12:51:33 AM »
Weegee fails to grasp the joy of Historical Gaming Reenactment. Having the physical cartridge to plug into your archaic entertainment devices is a sizable portion of the fun.
Meowrik, if there are any smaller/independent gaming stores or chains (i.e. not GameStop) or pawn shops and flea markets nearby, that's where I'd look. Also garage/estate sales.
Right now I have an Atari 7800, Atari 5200, NES, TG16, Genesis/Sega CD/32X, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GCN, and Wii as well as a various Game Boys, a Nomad and a TurboExpress. I'm probably going to start actively seeking a Turbo CD before too long since I own some games for it already. Be warned, though: The majority of old games don't do it for you either.

ZSNES is better than SNES9x. Except in a couple areas of compatibility.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:13:13 AM »
Be warned, though: The majority of old games don't do it for you either.

Haha yeah, I think about that sometimes. It's probably just a matter of going through phases though. Right now, all I've been playing is the original Donkey Kong on my Game Boy Pocket. Before that, it was Pokemon Platinum.

Thanks though, you reminded me there's a couple of pawn store type places in the area. I'll have to head down sometime and see if they have anything interesting.
= = = = = = =

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »
Yeah, no emulation unless there's really no other way. Like CW said, the glory and satisfaction of owning the original cartridge/disc is pretty sizable (and you can just use emulation legally to back up games you already own). It's just like art: A replica of the Mona Lisa can look exactly the same, but wouldn't you rather see the original?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
Weegee fails to grasp the joy of Historical Gaming Reenactment.

Ironic that this comes from someone with allegedly "broken" nostalgia sensors.

I suppose never having played on the original consoles detracts from the warm fuzzies one may feel by playing them now. My first gaming device was a GBC, followed shortly thereafter by a battered, dust-riddled NES my mom purchased from a co-worker for twenty dollars under the assumption that it was the newest system on the market. The came a GBA (c.2001), a GameCube (2002), a Nintendo 64 which we kept at our camping trailer (c.2003), a Nintendo DS (2004), and lastly a Wii (2007). I have never touched, let alone played any games on, older consoles not mentioned above. This includes the Atari 2600 through 7800, PS1, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, or even a SNES. Call me n00bish or historically-technologically depraved, but I simply have no interest in tracking down games which I have better memories of as ports or Virtual Console titles anyway.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 04:48:20 PM »
I love having the physical cartridges, but on an emulator, I can play on a better-looking screen even than any of my TVs (or, if I ever get a good TV, I can play it on there through the Homebrew Channel) and I don't have to worry about the cartridge battery dying (I was really torn up when my G&WG1 save started crapping out; I spent the better part of my childhood getting that 1100+ score on Modern Manhole.). Plus it opens it up to romhacks, of which there actually are a fair number of good ones. Also, as mentioned previously, I have no money. I do have standards, though; I won't download a rom unless it hasn't been rereleased recently and can't be bought new (if it's only available used, then I'm not really taking any money away from the guys that made the game), or if I've bought at least one rerelease (and if a game is rereleased after I've downloaded it, I delete my rom, or at least hide it somewhere and don't play it, and try to buy it as soon as I have money). I also try not to get them through BitTorrent, because distributing is definitely illegal, and I have a feeling most of the people I'm seeding to don't have as many scruples as me.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 06:37:45 PM »
I forgot about my Virtual Boy somehow.
Anyway Weegee, I don't do any of this for nostalgia since how would I have nostalgia about game systems I've never played until I bought them? The point is the excitement of seeing how all the old stuff works and thinking about how back in the day there wasn't anything more advanced. People who re-enact medieval battles don't have any nostalgia about the middle ages, let me tell you. Also there are good games on old systems that aren't on new systems and shiny Working Designs box sets.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
Ughh, Virtual Boys are so hard to come by, it's ridiculous. If I end up getting one of those cancer goggles, it'll probably be the last thing I get. On a related note, I just bought an Atari 2600 and some games for $20, and I bought a Colecovision with DK Jr. for $5.
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »
I don't care what you all say, Virtual Boy has never given me problems. And I got mine for $15 worth of work.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:04 AM »
And a local pawn shop had one for $20. I would've bought it if I didn't have more important purchases to make later that day.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 10:24:43 PM »
I have yet to go to the local pawn shoppe. However I was in an antique store with my mother the other day, and saw there was a pinball machine with some pachinko machines. I saw an NES controller and thought "Hey, here we go." But then when I asked the owner about it, he told me that the NES controller was the only video-game-related thing he had there.
= = = = = = =

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 12:45:50 AM »
ZSNES all the way for playing those harder-to-come-by titles. Also, being able to mute separate sound channels in the game is awesome for messing with music or helpful if you're trying to nail some complex bass part or some muddied-up chords in Mario songs on your piano/whatever.

Also, I agree with Chupperson's Historical Gaming Reenactment.

As for me, I want to collect every Nintendo system (need a Virtual Boy) and collect every single "main" Mario game, ever... all 137 of them (according to the Mario Family Game Tree [or whatever it's called] thread before someone shoots in to correct me).
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print