Print

Author Topic: Comic Books  (Read 13287 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »
ShadowBrain, back me up here.
Can do--but, for honesty's sake, I require pictures.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »
You seriously don't know what Black Canary looks like?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
All right--Go-Go ShadowBrain Gadget Google Image Search!

...Well, I prefer cat-themed fictional women, but yeah, I could go for that.

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 11:52:17 PM »
Yes, yes, good, good, it's well established the 1 dimensional view of women most share on this board that borders on unreal.  Which, incidentally, seems to be the kind of women most the lewd comments lean towards, the not real.  But that's the buzz of a of a different bee.

Looking at the faces here, can you tell the difference?  I'm not saying the art is bad, per se, it clean and expressive, but the artist, either Lee or Melo, does not convince me that he knows how to draw more than one woman for all characters.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:05 AM »
Indeed, you're right--then again, I don't know much about comics, but I'd assume the vibrant style of the costumes could compensate for that. It is a close-up shot, after all (yes, I know there's millions of other comics where you can tell characters apart from that close).

And I can, have, and readily will make lewd comments about "real" women, but it just so happens that art and science have provided some much more appealing alternatives.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Telling women in comic books apart would be easier if they weren't all skinny big-busted pouty-lipped blondes. Seriously, there's a huge variety of attractive body types, and the media and society at large does a major disservice to both men and women by pretending there's only one type of woman that looks good (not to mention the bigger disservice they do by making good-lookingness the end-all-be-all).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
I never really got the insistence upon turning every female character except possibly Granny Goodness into fan service.  Actually, scratch that - I think there was a flashback at one point wherein even she was fairly attractive (well, if baldness is your thing).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:02 PM »
I may not draw in a comic book-style per se, but I deliberately go out of my to avoid sexualizing any female characters I come up with.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
I've recently read Moyasimon Volumes 1 and 2, and I'm working my way through Death Note. In the case of the former, it's kept making me think of that Weird Al Yankovic song "Germs".

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
I never really got the insistence upon turning every female character except possibly Granny Goodness into fan service.  Actually, scratch that - I think there was a flashback at one point wherein even she was fairly attractive (well, if baldness is your thing).

What's not to get? Sex sells. It's as simple as that.

Also, I imagine we get a lot of immature and sexist comments here due to pent up sexual aggression. I would be surprised if half of the posting members here actually engage with a woman (who is not their mother or teacher) on a daily basis.

Edit: I picked up the first issue of the new Mega Man series. Recommended!

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
Cool, I'll check it out next time I'm out. I'm generally unusually happy when liscenced comics are good, and not just a cash in.

I have not read page one of any manga title, just because all the ones people recommend to me tend to be in the 30th volume, and I don't like not starting at the beginning.

Which brings me to The Runaways. I picked up the first digest volume a couple months ago, and got the last one yesterday, and it's up there with Incredible Herc for my favorite series. Great writing, great characters, and all the artists were fantastic and varied. I just wish they would do something with it. Supposedly a movie for it is in the works, but I haven't heard anything lately. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 01:44:25 AM »
So...

DC is restarting all titles at #1, there's a continuity reboot coming with it, some of the major heroes are going to be younger, digital are going to be released day and date and at the same price for a few weeks, and there will be creative team changes almost all around.

What do you think of it? How's any of this going to affect your comic reading habits/preferences? Any thoughts on their digital plans?

Personally, I don't think much either way for most of it. Reboots and Crisis events happen in comics. They aren't new, and shouldn't be scary or fought just for being. I do think it's kind of a half hearted digital front, though. There is no need to have the digital copies cost the same as floppies. It's too bad that DC is clearly trying to appease retailers with this, and not even in a great way.

Just off the top of my head, and borrowing from recent trends in gaming, if someone buys a physical copy, provide a digital copy, or offer the digital copy at a discount of $.99, and drop the price of nondiscount digital to $1.50 - $2.00. There would be the issue of people stealing the code (or whatever method to claim the digital copy).

But a few options could be: 2 releases of the comic, one without the discount digital, and one with. The ver. with the code could be polybagged. This will let people check out the book without potential loss. Downside is polybagged issues come off kinda badly after the 90s.

Alternatively, with the purchase of the comic, have the retailers hand out a code that will offer the discount.

Retailers don't lose as many sales, and consumers get a bonus for shop loyalty. Plus, it will help with the issues of "who owns digital comics"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 07:38:12 AM »
I know zilch about comics, but I do know that there's few if any valid reasons to charge the same for the digital and physical versions of the same product.

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/22/starfire-catwoman-sex-superheroine/

The reboot/relaunch/redone DC New 52 is around halfway through it's initiation, and while I have only gotten the new Birds of Prey because it's the only one on my pull list that is being continued, it appears that there have been some issues with the portrayal of some characters.  Namely, that they aren't being used as characters, but as lusty objects.  Now, I'm not going to recap it all that much, because the article is there, and it's said there much better than I could ever articulate.

But, I wonder what the general thoughts are of the people here.  I'll admit, I'm not really looking forward to the responses, because this is place that has used 'hit-list' to describe women that are attractive, but I guess I'm just being optimistic in giving it a shot.  Maybe I'll be surprised. (This could have also gone in You Rage, You Lose, just for the disgusting comments for the article).  Really, though, I just don't see how it can still be so hard to create characters that don't **** an entire gender off.  Sexy looking is fine, and I get it, it sells.  But this is supposed to be a narrative, character driven, not cheap thrills pandering to the most base of the male 13-16 year old desire.  Even if you want to put sexiness in make it part of the greater whole of what the person, male or female, is.

As far as less rage-y comics, I am really enjoying the Spider-Island event going on with Marvel right now.  ASM is really good, and I think it's doing a great job of having the event weave through the other books and the main title.  Too often I find that events have a hard time keeping focus with as many tie-in books, but this seems to be better at dealing with the main problem, and showing that more is happening elsewhere that you can read about.  The whole Venom/Anti-Venom storyline is really interesting.  Plus, they're doing a Cloak and Dagger book, and I really enjoy those characters.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 02:34:27 PM »
Yeah, it's stupid, but female-comics-characters-as-sex-objects is not a new thing.  But maybe the issue is less that it's happening and more that it's happening in yet another reboot.  Like, did people actually get their hopes up that things would change (and change in a good way)?

Print